What's new

1885 Rocking Chair? ***Solved***

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an estate sale today here in NC today. One of the things I bought was the old rocking chair for $25. I bought it because I liked the looks of it and it is in excellent condition. Once I bought it, I noticed there was a small metal plate on the underside with "1885", and it also had square head nails used in the construction.
I guess my main questions are:
*Could this chair really be from 1885? :dontknow:
*Is there a specific name for this style rocking chair? :icon_scratch:
*Was my $25 purchase worth the $25? :dontknow:

Thanks for any info,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-161S.webp
    MVC-161S.webp
    36.6 KB · Views: 473
  • MVC-162S.webp
    MVC-162S.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 414
  • MVC-163S.webp
    MVC-163S.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 387
  • MVC-164S.webp
    MVC-164S.webp
    21 KB · Views: 366
  • MVC-165S.webp
    MVC-165S.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 402
  • MVC-166S.webp
    MVC-166S.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 406
Re: 1885 Rocking Chair? Any furniture buffs out there?

It is called a Lincoln Rocker, made of mahogany, and could well date to 1885. They are fairly common, and don't generally fetch a very hefty price, but they are a good solid comfortable rocker. My wife has one like it. You didn't go wrong for the price you paid! Nice Buy!

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Antiques-682/2010/5/cane-rocking-chair.htm

Guess I was wrong about fetching a hefty price! take a look at the link.
My wife just told me she paid $85.00 for the one she bought.
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1885 Rocking Chair? Any furniture buffs out there?

creskol said:
It is called a Lincoln Rocker, made of mahogany, and could well date to 1885. They are fairly common, and don't generally fetch a very hefty price, but they are a good solid comfortable rocker. My wife has one like it. You didn't go wrong for the price you paid! Nice Buy!

Creskol,
That was fast! :icon_thumleft: Thanks so much for the info. It's a great rocker and I'd be super happy if it was from 1885. :hello2:
Thanks,
MM
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1885 Rocking Chair? Any furniture buffs out there?

I added some info for you on my previous post.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: 1885 Rocking Chair? Any furniture buffs out there?

Everything looks right including nails and through tenons. I'm not used to seeing the year affixed to a placard like that. Great find!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1885 Rocking Chair? ***SOLVED***

Thanks all.
We'll consider this one solved. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-
 
Upvote 0
So I guess you've given up detecting and will concentrate on getting old? ;D
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
So I guess you've given up detecting and will concentrate on getting old? ;D
Oh h-ll no! ;D
Waiting for this heat to go away IP. Then I'll be back at it. Maybe not with as much passion as KKC, but at least I look better detecting. :o :tongue3: ;D
Hope all is well with you big guy. :icon_thumleft:
-Doug-
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
So I guess you've given up detecting and will concentrate on getting old? ;D
If that's the case I have this matching Civil War vintage wicker wheelchair I'll sell you if the need arises... Very cool find for 25 bucks for sure. :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • Wicker Wheelchair.webp
    Wicker Wheelchair.webp
    116.4 KB · Views: 389
Upvote 0
MilitaryCollector said:
that could also be the chairs model number
My thoughts exactly. The year's still about right. Probably coincidence.
 
Upvote 0
kyphote said:
MilitaryCollector said:
that could also be the chairs model number
My thoughts exactly. The year's still about right. Probably coincidence.

I'm still thinking it's the year made, but I haven't been able to find any others with this tag on them. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
Thanks Guys,
MM
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom