Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the 1924 landfill, found lots of 1920's items (silver-plated spoons, cups, plates, bottles, even a well preserved wicker basket), but was surprised when a 19th century tooled-blob beer bottle turned up.

20210908_232641.jpg 20210908_232715.jpg

The bottle is a C. V. Garrison from Flushing, Long Island. Flushing is currently part of NYC and was incorporated into the city in 1898. Since the bottle refers to Flushing as part of Long Island this positively dates the bottle to before the incorporation date. This bottle was dug very deep in the landfill which convinces me the landfill is alot older than I had previously thought and the deeper down the older the artifacts. The only problem is this is a semi-underwater dig site so the holes rapidly fill with sea water. It is very difficult to dig more than than 2 feet deep. I will have to figure out a way to drain the holes.

Here is pic of some other dirty bottles I dug up but have not cleaned yet. There was also alot of very big fancy sea shells.
20210908_234515.jpg
(Pics of all cleaned up knickknacks coming soon)

Upvote 15

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice blob beer. Someone may have just been cleaning out their basement and tossed that bottle that had been down there for 25 years.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really cool bottle! Congrats!!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice blob beer. Someone may have just been cleaning out their basement and tossed that bottle that had been down there for 25 years.

That is easily within the realm of possibility and was my initial assumption. The only reason I have thought otherwise is because this wasn't the only older bottle I found in that deeper layer, but then again in the midst of prohibition any older beer bottles in people's posession would no longer hold their deposits, as the companies that issued them would all most likely be out of buisness already, so any older beer bottles owned by people would be more likely to be disposed of rather than recycled.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice oldie and getting something that predates the rest can be a noddle scratching riddle.
Was the dump just a place that somebody used for a few decades then it became a public dump.
It seems that any bank, gully, ravine was open to get filled with the trash of a100-150 yrs ago.
Now we find so much pleasure digging them out.

Water in the hole, that's always a hard one to deal with even making a dike can have ground water seepage.

In the early 70's the family dug out (tried anyhow) a ghost town that was built on stilts, it had little water canals running throughout the site to disburse the water.
The board sidewalks were 2 ft under the black muskeg still, and the bottles ranged from case gins/sodas floating in the water to 5ft down.
The tool that seemed to work the best was probes, and long handled garden scratchers the ones that 3 tings on the end.

Beat of luck on your next try at the dump.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread