1894 Stone Clock Masonic? Odd Fellows?

Greeneman215

Aug 4, 2012
Central NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently acquired this piece and do not know much about it.
It is made of stone, probably weighs 20-30 lbs. Almost seems too heavy for a mantel.
Says 1894 on it and has the three link chain symbol and a sun symbol around the clock face.
I took off the back clock plate to see if I could find any info and the clock started working again! It's holding time great!
Does anyone know anything about those symbols? I've read they could be Free Mason, Odd fellows, or even Slavery related.
Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
As always thank you!
DSC_0591.JPGDSC_0592.JPGDSC_0593.JPGDSC_0595.JPGDSC_0596.JPGDSC_0597.JPG

The triple links, a recurring symbol among odd fellows, connoting the motto of "Friendship, Love and Truth". I am not aware of any significance of the date as it relates to Oddfellows other than 1894 is the date the Catholic church condemned the secret society. I seriously doubt it could be slave related. The 3 links are often carved on grave markers but I never saw one with a clock and there doesnt seem to be room to carve a name. You could probably date the item by dating the clock.

Upvote 0
personally, I think the clock was added at a later date. Kind of a re-purpose. Other than that, I have no clue but it makes me think of some great music

Upvote 0
the 94 looks like it was added later
I agree, the clock looks like it was added later
can you crack open the back of clock to see makers mark and serial number?
Brady

Upvote 0
I couldn't find a serial number but did find Lux Clock Mfg. Co
So I think you guys were right about it being added at a later date. Wonder what it's original purpose was, or maybe the clock was replaced at one point.
Thanks again for all of your help!
DSC_0598.JPG

Upvote 0
Is it stone or concrete? It looks to me like it was cast in a mold and made all at the same time but maybe its just the photo illusion.

But the clock could have been replaced from another clock the same size even if cast. The clock itself could be as old as 1914.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back