18th & 19th Century SILVER...Colonial PIT Relic Digging!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

After the tropical storm rolled through the low country I made sure to revisit a colonial trash pit that never seems to disappoint. Low tide in conjunction with the storm meant fresh erosion and a new layer of relics within range of the CTX. After arriving on site, the shear abundance of surface pottery and pipe stems had me stoked...here's a bit of what I picked off the surface.

20160905_211215.jpg20160905_210850.jpg

Interestingly I also recovered this champagne bottle top...GH Mumm & Co: these guys are actually German, and had been brewing champagne since 1827...until the French confiscated all of the Mumm's property after WWI. This one is likely turn of the century.

20160905_210703.jpg

Now for the good stuff- the challenging part of this pit is that it is on a salt flat. While the CTX is able to operate well in the mineralized conditions, most relics I've recovered come out toast...the exception...SILVER :laughing7: The big surprise was also my first cut silver, a 1773 Seville 2 Reale (cut to a 1/2 for change). Thanks to Don in the what is it forum for the ID assist.

20160905_210455.jpg20160905_210508.jpg20160903_143841.jpg

The second silver of the weekend came a day later- my second TRIME this year- 1853!

20160905_210432.jpg20160905_210414.jpg20160905_210616.jpg

Among the other relics was a handful of copper/tombac buttons (1 nice large dandy) and 2 partial 18th century pewter spoons.

20160905_210243.jpg20160905_205955.jpg20160905_210008.jpg

This was the most intriguing button, 6 point star wrapped in smaller stars- anyone recognize this one?

20160905_210345.jpg

A bit inland and out of the salt I pulled a nice 1900 IHP and a 1943 Steel cent (nearly gave me a heart attack as its grey color made me think it was another reale).

20160905_205748.jpg20160905_205843.jpg20160905_205710.jpg
Silver cased blood letter circa 1790! da13.jpg

20160905_210025.jpg20160905_210047.jpg

All in all another outstanding weekend in the mud, as always thanks for looking!

20160905_205528.jpg

Attachments

• 20160905_210432.jpg
    20160905_210432.jpg
    841.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Upvote 35
Still can't believe that cut silver! It was like the first target you dug over there right when I walked over! Great finds. Can't wait to to get out of this slump. Congrats!

Great hunt man. Some killer relics you have there, and congrats on your first cut silver.
Im still looking for my first cut silver and trime.
Looks like you had an awesome weekend. Thanks for sharing.
Im real interested in that star button too. That could be something rare...

Wow that could fill a good display case SWEET finds thanks for the good post Great job!!!

Great hunt man. Some killer relics you have there, and congrats on your first cut silver.
Im still looking for my first cut silver and trime.
Looks like you had an awesome weekend. Thanks for sharing.
Im real interested in that star button too. That could be something rare...

Thanks bud, I know the 6 point star was a confederate motif but can't find a match... pit took its toll on it but hopefully enough for an id

VMI, wow...looks like your crew certainly had a killer day! Cut silver, trime...both still on my bucket list...beautiful finds..thx for sharing..ddf

An awesome days digging. Congrats!

Holy Smokes--what a great haul! Congrats!

Lisa & John

VMI, wow...looks like your crew certainly had a killer day! Cut silver, trime...both still on my bucket list...beautiful finds..thx for sharing..ddf

Thanks dirt diggin, everytime someone on here posts a relic on my bucket list it gives me hope that this stuff is still out there waiting to be dug

Good lord that's a wild hunt! Fantastic silvers, and I know you're a button guy so I hope that little star button turns out to be a home run.

The silver mystery item has me stumped. Is that coil inside of it metal? Could it be some sort of tensioner spring? It also reminds me of half of the metal hinge of a Mason's folding ruler. I'm sure someone will figure it out.

Good lord that's a wild hunt! Fantastic silvers, and I know you're a button guy so I hope that little star button turns out to be a home run.

The silver mystery item has me stumped. Is that coil inside of it metal? Could it be some sort of tensioner spring? It also reminds me of half of the metal hinge of a Mason's folding ruler. I'm sure someone will figure it out.

I broke a small section of while cleaning, looks like a coiled copper spring inside. Maybe a trigger assembly?

What a day!! Congrats on some tough coins to find! I would like to see you get back out there asap so we can see what else you can discover.

Jon I must say that is one Heck of a place you showed to me and Jason. The Deus as you know didnt stand a chance in the pluffmud but marking a signal for Jason and walking away telling him to Dig it made a Relic Monster out of him Instantly. Can you hear him going on and on and on for 3.5 hours on way home....Well I did ..Gee thanks lol.
Great digs for you that cut piece is so cool and amazing you pulled that tiny piece out of the mud. Glad we meet up and got to see each other's finds of the weekend.

Jon I must say that is one Heck of a place you showed to me and Jason. The Deus as you know didnt stand a chance in the pluffmud but marking a signal for Jason and walking away telling him to Dig it made a Relic Monster out of him Instantly. Can you hear him going on and on and on for 3.5 hours on way home....Well I did ..Gee thanks lol.
Great digs for you that cut piece is so cool and amazing you pulled that tiny piece out of the mud. Glad we meet up and got to see each other's finds of the weekend.

Thanks Allen, can remember my first couple hunts... putting in hours upon hours with little to show for it. That first flat button felt like such an accomplishment, happy to help a newbie. Those conditions were ruff, figured a target assist with the CTX couldn't hurt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back