What's new

18th century English hanger shell guard

Electricbutter

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
404
Reaction score
1,500
Golden Thread
1
Location
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im trying to figure out who is depicted on this shell guard I found a couple weeks ago at my 1752 permission . I’ve been researching 18th century powerful women and I found two women of that time period my shell guard may be depicting. Anne Bonny or Marry Read? Both female pirates in the early 1700’s Any thoughts or other ideas?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545627437.820125.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545627465.757179.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545627508.559107.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545627582.688258.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545627685.616914.webp
 
I think it's a fantasy or a mythical depiction of a goddess of some type. :icon_scratch:

Whatever it is, I sure wish I'd found it... congrats :thumbsup:

Dave

PS. A pic of the reverse side would also be helpful.
 
Upvote 0
That is a very, very nice find. Congrats.

Is there any makers mark or hallmark on this? I would suspect if so its on the reverse.
 
Upvote 0
I think it's a fantasy or a mythical depiction of a goddess of some type. :icon_scratch:

Whatever it is, I sure wish I'd found it... congrats :thumbsup:

Dave

PS. A pic of the reverse side would also be helpful.

Oh man that would be cool also. I think you’re on to something I’ve read that riding side saddle was thought to protect the hymen. Athena was one of three virgin goddesses.

Athena
Greek Goddess of Wisdom and War
Athena, also referred to as Athene, is a very important goddess of many things. She is goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, strategic warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill.

She is known most specifically for her strategic skill in warfare and is often portrayed as companion of heroes and is the patron goddess of heroic endeavour.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545653549.595334.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is a very, very nice find. Congrats.

Is there any makers mark or hallmark on this? I would suspect if so its on the reverse.

Thank you. I haven’t been able to find any.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545654016.573581.webp
 
Upvote 0
Europa and Zeus

Europa.webp
 
Upvote 0
Amazing ID that piece is freakin cool wowza wowza!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
I don't see a green man on there. Maybe it's just me. I see a bull and a bear.
 
Upvote 0
I don't see a green man on there. Maybe it's just me. I see a bull and a bear.

Picture in the book is for reference of shape and creative style of that period.

I can see what you mean about the bear.. look above the eyes. Do you see a face with flowing hair? Now the bears eyes look like 🦉🦉and the mouth is a belly button. IMO
Thanks
 
Upvote 0
Fabulous find Electricbutter, great work!

An Plug N Play Pow! I was thinking more along the lines of Mrs O'Leary and her cow, LOL!

Best wishes and more great finds!
 
Upvote 0
Fabulous find Electricbutter, great work!

An Plug N Play Pow! I was thinking more along the lines of Mrs O'Leary and her cow, LOL!

Best wishes and more great finds!

Thank you[emoji16]
 
Upvote 0
I think it's a fantasy or a mythical depiction of a goddess of some type. :icon_scratch:

Whatever it is, I sure wish I'd found it... congrats :thumbsup:

Dave

PS. A pic of the reverse side would also be helpful.

Agree. It's the guard part of a hunting sword. Likely a mythological character like Aphrodite or possibly someone hunting related.

Unlikely it is a pirate of any kind as they were not held in high regard until romanticized in the late 19th C.
 
Upvote 0
Unlikely it is a pirate of any kind as they were not held in high regard until romanticized in the late 19th C.[/QUOTE]


Great info thanks!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom