Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A week ago I discovered a small 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century house site on a farm I have permission to hunt. I got a call from the farmer saying he had plowed one of the fields on the farm so I made some time to check it out. I had already zig zagged through half of this field when it was in grass, so I started in the other half and started to notice some broken red ware pottery, which is always a good indicator of an early house site. Sure enough, I found a broken shoe buckle, a Jews harp, and a couple late 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century buttons. I got back there a couple times this past weekend and found a few more things, including a New Jersey Copper, which has been identified as a 1787 Maris 6-D, rarity 2 (common). It is on a large planchet and measures 29.7 mm.

Everything I've found so far is pre 1800 leading me to believe this place was only occupied for a few years, probably mid 1780s to mid 1790s. Perhaps this was a settler that got a Virginia land grant and had to vacate when Pennsylvania won the border dispute with Virginia at the end of the Rev War.

Here is what I have come up with so far. Signals are already starting to peter out. I'm not sure about the piece in the upper left. It is some type of on/off valve. The threads look kinda crude, but it is probably later than the other stuff.

All-2.JPG Buttons and coins.JPG

Here is the New Jersey. When I first dug it I noticed it was bigger that your average copper and had a small hole in the center. I put it in my case thinking it might be a heavy Dandy button. It wasn't till I got home and cleaned it did I realize it was a New Jersey. Unfortunately the ground here is pretty rough on coppers. I still haven't identified the other copper I dug.

NJ - dirt.jpg NJ - Back.jpg NJ - Front.jpg

This button I just eyeballed on the surface...

Tombac - dirt.jpg

And the big let down. Thought I had a Spanish half real considering that everything I was finding was 18th century.
But Nooo! You had to be a Mercury Dime :dontknow:

Merc - dirt.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 19

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That site is about as old as it gets around here. Great job on the persistence and recoveries. The NJ copper is a rare find in SW PA. Huge congrats!!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site is about as old as it gets around here. Great job on the persistence and recoveries. The NJ copper is a rare find in SW PA. Huge congrats!!
Thanks Thad. Yes it is about as early as it gets around here. I wonder how many places like this I drive by every day. It is too early to be on any of the county atlases, and there is no indication that there was house here - no cellar hole, no foundation stones. This is the second small 18th century house site I have found on this guy's properties (he runs another farm nearby). In both cases there was no visual indicators that there was ever a house there.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds!!! Thanks for sharing Steve... "D"

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow very nice finds! :icon_thumleft: Looks like you have a awesome site!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find.
Awesome NJ copper

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome digs Steve! Sites like those are definitely special. Congrats on finding it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep Up the great WORK! :icon_thumleft:

Sure love the old coppers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread