1910 Boy Scout Good Luck charm with Swastika ???

Possumguts

May 4, 2008
Western NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Attachments

• 1910 Boy Scout Token reverse.jpg
    1910 Boy Scout Token reverse.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 3,602
  • 1910 Boy Scout Token obverse.jpg
    1910 Boy Scout Token obverse.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 4,160
Upvote 8

yukonbob

Apr 27, 2008
New Port Richey, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCELSIOR-SHOE-...906030QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0807131245r37246

"This is a medallion that was given out by The Excelsior Shoe Company to boys that purchased the official Boy Scout Shoe. It was an advertising gimmick. You have to remember that Boy Scouts was all the rage at the time: like Pokemon or Beanie Babies. And everyone wanted to cash in. Revenues for the use of the name were important to getting the Boy Scouts funds to start. After Minute Tapioca Pudding, Excelsior was one of the first to sign up.

The hole in the top was to allow it to be tied to the shoe.

There were 3 versions.

1) One with the rider dated July, 1910. The Boy Scouts were incorporated in Feb of 1910 in Washington, DC. Their headquarters was established in New York.

2) One with good luck symbols on the back. A reverse swastika which was a popular Victorian era good luck symbol and a favorite symbol of Lord Baden-Powell's. Also dated July, 1910.

3) The third has the good luck symbols and no date. It states "Membership emblem of the Boy Scouts Club"."

{quoted from http://members.aol.com/randywoo/bsahis/coin.htm}

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am I correct in understanding that the swastika was the Boy Scout Symbol prior to WW II ??

No. The symbol was a common good luck symbol before the Nazis took it for themselves. It is also commonly found decorating the doors of Buddhist temples.

Google "History of the Swastika" and you'll learn a lot more about it.

DCMatt

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Found one similar to that earlier this year. The swastika symbol was on the back but it was from a doll company. Strange...cool find though.. :) jgas

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the symbol has thousands of years as a good luck symbol --then nazi take it as their "symbol" for a short time --now sadly its "forever" branded as a sign of hatred --- its history is now twisted forever ---sad but true when folks today see one -- they say oh thats the "nazi" symbol --- however to think of the symbol "properly" one must remember these token items were made "BEFORE" the raise of the nazi's and thus they were just thought ofas a "good luck symbol" at the time.-- now its use AFTER THE RAISE OF THE NAZIS is differant.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Native Americans used the symbol as well. I've seen swastikas on ponies and wigwams in old history book pics.

That's a great token--about the oldest Boy Scout item I've ever seen.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Awesome post! I remember when i was in boy scouts when i was 16. Made it all the way to eagle. :thumbsup: Congratulations on the token! That is really cool! :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, the symbol is thousands of years old, used by the Buddhists (they also used it backwards too) and yes American Indians also used it too long before the Nazi's. I believe its for harmony or something along those lines.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it! Suspicions confirmed. The whole time they were helping little old ladies across the street they were planning to take over the world. It should have been obvious - you know, the uniforms.

Great find but you really bust my bubble on Boy Scouts - who'd have known!

TE

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FloridaBill said:
nice job congarts
I have two that i cant seem to find out what year they are, one has the swatica and on the back has the all seeing eye with rays goin to a clover hourse shoe wish bone, then i have one one with a middle eastern man to me ; looking into an magic glass ball with a swatica in it, and on the back has buda with a necklace hourse shoe... could anyone help me out here?? thanks

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
Hitler said the Hitler Youth would make better soldiers then the Boy Scouts, I guess he was seriously mistaken. ;D Its still the best organization around plus it brought me to alot of good metal detecting sites not to mention all the great things I learned in it.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice token! The swastika is over 3000 years old and Hitler killed it. HH, Mike

S

seger98

yukonbob said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCELSIOR-SHOE-...906030QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0807131245r37246

"This is a medallion that was given out by The Excelsior Shoe Company to boys that purchased the official Boy Scout Shoe. It was an advertising gimmick. You have to remember that Boy Scouts was all the rage at the time: like Pokemon or Beanie Babies. And everyone wanted to cash in. Revenues for the use of the name were important to getting the Boy Scouts funds to start. After Minute Tapioca Pudding, Excelsior was one of the first to sign up.

The hole in the top was to allow it to be tied to the shoe.

There were 3 versions.

1) One with the rider dated July, 1910. The Boy Scouts were incorporated in Feb of 1910 in Washington, DC. Their headquarters was established in New York.

2) One with good luck symbols on the back. A reverse swastika which was a popular Victorian era good luck symbol and a favorite symbol of Lord Baden-Powell's. Also dated July, 1910.

3) The third has the good luck symbols and no date. It states "Membership emblem of the Boy Scouts Club"."

{quoted from http://members.aol.com/randywoo/bsahis/coin.htm}

There is such a wealth of knowledge on here, nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread