What's new

1911 British half Sovereign

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2013
Messages
1,771
Reaction score
2,258
Golden Thread
2
Location
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hurricane Sandy destroyed many of Long Islands south shore beaches. As such one particular beach had its entire boardwalk ripped out and replaced. This beach dates back to the late 1800's. During the construction tons of sand was removed and spread over the existing beach. Many a silver coin and 1 gold $10 piece was found during the months to follow.
One local gold hunter approached my buddy and I last week image.webpimage.webpand told us he was still picking up some silver coins in one particular area and that we should go there if interested in silver coins. We went and right off the bat my buddy pulls a 1916 barber dime. I however found this beauty, one scoop deep. Thanks for looking, Mike
 
Upvote 38
Here we go. Another coin of the goldish variety. Nice
 
Nice...very nice!!!
 
Thanks, I think?

Love the coin but they've been coming from the ground with such regularity lately that I'm beginning to think I'll get one
 
Love the coin but they've been coming from the ground with such regularity lately that I'm beginning to think I'll get one
What makes you think you won't? I always knew I was going to find one. Sooner of later.
 
The summer of gold
 
That looks like it belongs on the Banner to me ! , I would be so delighted to find that beautiful half sovereign - Nice .
 
That's pretty awesome. Anyone that digs a gold coin deserves a pat on the back. You need to dig through a lot of trash. Congrats and I'm going to put a banner vote in On this one.

Steve
 
Love the coin but they've been coming from the ground with such regularity lately that I'm beginning to think I'll get one

We were all holding back on posting ours hoping you would find one soon but looks like Mr Mike slipped... :laughing7:


Nice Yellow coin Mr Mike..Gotta love them when there coins, specially us beach hunters....
 
Thanks everyone, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one. I knew I would find one but not in the sand.
 
Congrats in that awesome find. :notworthy: That fellow digger deserves a beer for turning you onto that spot. :occasion14:
 
most awesome. makes you wonder how it got here. tourist? returning solder after WW1? nobody will ever know, but it's fun to think about. congrats!
 
Congrats in that awesome find. :notworthy: That fellow digger deserves a beer for turning you onto that spot. :occasion14:
He does, and he will get one. Thanks
 
That's a really beautiful coin Mike, finding it on the beach following a storm makes it that much sweeter! :occasion14:

If you think about it, without the storm surge, this coin might never have seen the light of day again!

Dave
 
Nice gold coin. Congratulations
 
That's a really beautiful coin Mike, finding it on the beach following a storm makes it that much sweeter! :occasion14:

If you think about it, without the storm surge, this coin might never have seen the light of day again!

Dave
The hurricane unfortunately destroyed a lot but did uncover many treasures for us. I always thought my first gold coin would come from my colonial spots, not from the dry sand beach. You never know
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom