Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi everyone.did a bit of research on an old gold mine and i was reading an old news paper story about an 11 years old girl who fell down a shaft in 1923.the paper was given to me sometime a go.well when i was reading about is this sad event, the paper refers to houses, police station, court house and hall and other buildings.i known where this site is and where event took place but theres no sign of any buildings or roads just an empty block on the side of the hill..when i checked the info with the public records.my eyes fell out of my head.there where numours references to famous people who came here to see the mountain of gold.at this stage you can md and treasure hunt this area but if the locals find out.i think you all know what would happen and when theres the local gov as well.of the five famous people i can comfirm that 4 did come here but the 5th not sure.ALFRED,DUKE OF SAXE-COBURG[QUEEN VICTORIA'S SON] HENRY LAWSON[ OZZIE WRITER] BONJO PATERSON [OZZIE WRITER] OPERA SINGER DAME NELLIE MELBA AND THE BIG ONE SAMUEL LANGHORNE CLEMENS [MARK TWAIN] no sure but theres a couple of references to him

tinpan p.s will post pics of them

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
henry lawson 1867-1922

Attachments

• Henry_Lawson_photograph_1902.jpg
    Henry_Lawson_photograph_1902.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 506
    23.1 KB · Views: 494
    23.1 KB · Views: 508

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sounds like an excellent story and lead to follow through on. I wonder if you would be able to find an old map that could pinpoint the buildings for you! Best of luck and looking forward to see more of this story.!

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres the pic of the newspaper

Attachments

• aqa001.jpg
    aqa001.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 506
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
banjo paterson

Attachments

• patersonab.jpg
    patersonab.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 447

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds awesome Tinpan! Wish I could help you. Good luck and I'm looking forward to the pics of the site and finds. I'm off to look for a Celtic forest in the area. HH, Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Intresting tinpan.

Sounds like a Winner.

Jeff

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
way to go....Hope something good comes out of the area!

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK... so somedays I am not to smart. What would happen if the locals found out? And what could the local government do if MDing and THing are allowed at this site currently. Again somedays I am not to smart (today is one of those days) and might have missed something! Sorry if I did. ???

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Iowa, I'll answer that one for you:

Small towns = small government. The town chairman and other elected officials meet at the village recycling center, the post office, the local gas station, etc. Not just the town hall on the third tuesday of the month.

"Small talk" as often as not turns to "business" and next thing you know, somebody not only has an idea to bring up at the next town meeting, but they have already decided how they stand on it.

Technically, it's illegal (open forum requirements, etc.) but thats just the way it works in small towns.

Close enough Tinpan ?

Sign Me,
Population 325

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sort of right on diggimall.the country town i live in has a population of about 100,000 and is still set in old ways like you say.most of town covers 14 square miles and there are many old mine sites scattered all over the place.the local gov would declare the site historic and have its own agenda and band everyone from going near it.this has happened before and they allways find a way to stuff it up.there also few people that are ready to take the claim for someone elses hard work and theres the people who jump your claim.i donnot mind sharing but no with 200 people going crazy to get a bit of local history for themselves.i have got about half a dozen people to help and their finds are theirs.too many people always causes trouble which i don't need.

tinpan p.s nearly half the finds i have posted,where found only 5 minutes from the centre of town and the funny thing is most don't know what is under their feet and i like it like this.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
TINPAN, Sounds Like A Great Site, Now Get Busy And Keep Us Posted. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 157.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 157.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 195
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 157.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 157.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 194

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great lead.Take the reigns and move quickly.Good luck and keep us posted,sounds interesting.- diggummup

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread