1931-S Wheat Found CRH Pennies

jayholc77

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

Came across my best find ever in a 1¢ roll today. They were standard, NF String machine wrapped pennies. I picked up $15 at one bank and $10 at another as neither had a full box. Aside from this shocking surprise, the box was otherwise normal with 11 wheats and 8 Canadians. This is my only key-date penny found CRH and I've searched hundreds of boxes of cents.

Good luck and HH,
Jay

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT'S a valuable penny! Great find!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey everyone,

Came across my best find ever in a 1¢ roll today. They were standard, NF String machine wrapped pennies. I picked up $15 at one bank and $10 at another as neither had a full box. Aside from this shocking surprise, the box was otherwise normal with 11 wheats and 8 Canadians. This is my only key-date penny found CRH and I've searched hundreds of boxes of cents.

Good luck and HH,
Jay

View attachment 1289286

Congrats. I found one about 3 years ago. Aside form the s-vbd its the best wheat you can get. Send it out to get slabbed, Only will cost about 20 bucks and its worth it

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/332925-my-best-penny-find-ever.html

Last edited:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing - only 866k minted and you pulled one out of a sea of billions upon billions of common cents. I love hearing about finds like this! Congrats.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome find! Congrats!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What an awesome find in a roll. Congrats.

As for the Canadians, do you keep them? Newer ones are copper coated steel, I save King George and older. ANY are completely worthless in Canada as spending money.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So that's what a 31-s looks like in the wild! Great, fantastic catch. In all my 50+ years of coin collecting, I have yet to find one in the wild. Congrats to you.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great find. If it gets slabbed.. and depending on reverse, most likely it will go VF with Details (Environmental Damage)

Agree with SFBay... Prob would get a net grade if you slab it, so it may not be worth the fee. If you're gonna sell it, just sell it raw. If it were me, I'd prob keep it and put it in my CRH Lincoln folder or a 2x2. A coin like that has a lot of sentimental value. There are a few coins I have sold over the years that I found that I regret selling. (Definitely NOT the common silver tho - glad I unloaded those when the price was higher!) One is a '72 doubled die I found in the mid-80s. I think the dealer I sold it to have me like $75-100 for it. It would be worth 2-3x that today, plus it was something really cool that I will prob never find again. Just something to think about.
Again, great find - congrats!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
It's a great find. If it gets slabbed.. and depending on reverse, most likely it will go VF with Details (Environmental Damage)

Might not get the environmental damage. I sent mine out thinking the same bc I had a spot on the reverse but it came back just graded

OP
OP
J

jayholc77

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the kind words and comments. All I have is an iPhone camera to work with, so I am sure that image is not the best. Anyway, I took two more, one of the of the reverse and another of the obverse in slightly different light. I'm undecided as to whether the blemish near the edge would warrant a details grade. I got another $25 in pennies today hoping for similar luck, but only ended up with 16 ordinary wheats and 6 Canadians.
Also, the reject hopper at the bank's coin machine gave up a Canadian quarter, 7 Euro cents, and an East Caribbean States quarter.
ScubaDetector, I do in fact keep all Canadian pennies I come across. I rarely get the newer copper-plated steel ones in boxes as most machines in my area reject them. Most of the ones I find are from the 1960-2000 era.

GL and HH,
Jay
photo 2-2.JPG photo 1-2.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread