1943 "Steelie" Different Effigy? Rare?

mmmikey64

Jun 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to show this coin and see if I could get some help on if the coin is rare or not. There are two different effigies and I am confused as to why. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. steelie 001.JPGsteelie 002.JPG

The one you wanna find is the 43 COPPER.

Worth anywhere from 50k - 100k... perhaps more.

Upvote 0
Yes, I know of the coin but are ther two different effigies for the 1943 steel? if you look closely I have two different 43' steel cents

Upvote 0
Well, I have about a roll from this particular find. What would it be worth to you? I do know that this 36' could be quite the rarity and I do have some other possible wheats to consider. I am a modest guy.

Upvote 0
everyone seems to be ignoring your Question :(

What do you mean " effigies " ?

I see a 43 Plain from Philadelphia
and a 43 S from San Fransisco with a bit more wear on details

this is not a for sale add people & he is not a Charter member.
this thread is in What is it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, The Die of the coin. If you look into detail of these two steels, there are differences; they are small differences but in fact different

Upvote 0
Me either, I would like to recooperate a good investment and leave some to the buyer; however much that may be

Upvote 0
Thanks Gary, I appreciate the info. Yeah, I really didnt know of two seperate heads myself. The second head, philidelphia, seems to have more of a stout look

Upvote 0
I think the San francisco coin just has a bit more Rubbing wear on the front of his face.

Although there is a Minute chance the Die could have been the blame, I doubt it.

Upvote 0
I looked into a complete die of the 1943 steel and without wear; there are differences. thanks for the response

Upvote 0
DDDDID YOU SAY 100K? MAN TOMORROW IM GONNA HAVE WHEATS FOR BREAKFAST.

Upvote 0
I see what you are seeing! However, there are not two different effigies or images of Lincoln. All of the Master Dies for all of the Mints were made at the Philadelphia Mint and what you are seeing are the effects of Die Deterioration, Die Polishing and Grinding that has caused the differences in the Dies. If the differences in Lincoln's image on the two coins were a result of planned changes to the Dies as in the Master Dies, then one or both could be considered a Die Variety. However, I know of no changes made to the Dies during the 1943 production year.

Frank

Upvote 0
Looks like normal wear....one was just handled more than the other? We have searched a lot of these and just depending on the handling and circulation, tends to make them all look a little different. But then again, ya never really know what go's on in the US Mint!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back