1945 ?counterfiet Henning? nickel

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this nickel along the banks of the river and thought nothing of it until later. However, I realized that 1945 was a year that should have been silver. I did a little research and discovered that a man named Henning counterfeited nearly 100,000 nickels in the 1940s and 50s. However, 1945 was only mentioned as a year that MAY exist. Has anyone ever seen this date before? IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0982.JPG

Upvote 7

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update. I did some more cleaning on the nickel and discovered a mint mark:( oh well... i was really surprised bc iv never seen a silver coin is such poor condition.

Thanks for the Update !
the Like was for the Update , not the Results
cool.gif

Water & Mud :unhappysmiley:

I had a Site Silver come out looking like Clad
and old Copper coins come out looking the color of new zinc Pennies.

One 10 Karat gold ring come out looking like a Junk metal Ring with a heavy crust.

OH well ! You still got a Silver Nickel :thumbsup: odd on the weight though

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a lot for the update! I was wondering what the outcome might be. It would have been the first verified one of that year. Some of the silver nickels get real crappy because of their low silver content around here too.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, it's not everyday you can be legitimately bummed to discover that something is actually silver!

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha, it's not everyday you can be legitimately bummed to discover that something is actually silver!

Ha! yessireee! I found silver and I'm "legitimately bummed"" no offense sir.....much rather you found a rare fake.....but hey?, it is what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread