crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this 1955D Wheatie Saturday but not sure if it's the real deal. The lettering seems thicker than normal but I'm no expert. My eyes are not that great even with a magnifying glass. What do you think??

010-7.jpg

Upvote 0
I would love to say YES, but I am afraid it is not the real valuable 55 double die. Here is a picture of a 1955 Double Die penny. Some of the key DD dates have what they call "poor mans" versions which are not true double dies.

1955ddLIC.gif

Might have some minor doubling, but its not the one you were hopin for. Sorry bro.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

I've been waiting for someone to find one of those 1955-D doubled dies. That's my sole motivation to checking the dates on my 50s wheats. ;D
Doesn't look like the score, but you've been pulling some nice stuff lately! Keep at it and take care man.

Nate in Ohio said:
I've been waiting for someone to find one of those 1955-D doubled dies. That's my sole motivation to checking the dates on my 50s wheats. ;D
Doesn't look like the score, but you've been pulling some nice stuff lately! Keep at it and take care man.

Yes, I can clearly see the difference now. Didn't know what it might look like. Thanks for the input and help

still a keeper ;D MR TUFF

There actually is a known 1955-D wheat cent doubled die, but it's not nearly as dramatic as the well known 1955-P doubled die. But keep looking ~ you may just find one!

8^)

BUMMER! kane 23

SCMDing said:
I would love to say YES, but I am afraid it is not the real valuable 55 double die. Here is a picture of a 1955 Double Die penny. Some of the key DD dates have what they call "poor mans" versions which are not true double dies.

1955ddLIC.gif

I've had nights when I was younger when all my coins looked like this....they usually turned into DDs around 2am when the bar filled with beautiful woman. I never figured out why they made all the ugly ones that were there earlier leave....lol

sorry bud !! poor mans dd. i got a few . your still a rich man to me with some of your great finds. willy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back