What's new

1970D JFK Value ??? Help me

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
2,484
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
I am trying to help a coworker fill his coin collection out.

I have been fair in the past. But he has gone to coin shops and paid what they are asking for coins I could not provide.

He now wants to purchase a 1970D JFK from me.

My 2007 RedBook lists it at $13 in MS63

I feel like it has more value than that.

As most of us heavy searchers here know, Very Hard to come by......

I have found 2 in the nearly 4 years I have been pounding the CRH Beat.

Many hours and travel and buying and dumping and over 2 million Half Dollars passing through my hands, I feel there is greater value than the price listed in the Red Book

Perhaps I'm too sentimental. and have grown attached to the 2 lonely 70D's ????????

Any opinion on this coins Value. Would be greatly appreciated.

Mojo
 
Upvote 0
Considering you can get one shipped with a BIN for 25 bucks on fee-bay - that is still in the mint cello, 13 bucks doesn't sound too far off. E-bay is always a good place for me to at least gauge prices (look in the completed auction listings) and get an idea of what x item is worth to people.
 
I priced one at a coin shop the other day and it was about $20 - in perfect condition. I mean it was MS65
 
$15 dollars id the norm for a 1970 plain jane Kennedy half. Now if it is in the higher MS grade then $20. One that you found CRH I feel $15 is fair on both ends. I traded for the 3 1970's I have straight up for 3 1964's halves.

I hope this helps,
Jason
 
coinmojo said:
My 2007 RedBook lists it at $13 in MS63

I feel like it has more value than that.

As most of us heavy searchers here know, Very Hard to come by......

I have found 2 in the nearly 4 years I have been pounding the CRH Beat.

The fact we find any in circulation is amazing as they were never intended for circulation. I would bet that most of them still exist in mint sets or in holders and there are still plenty of them around. So just because you can't find them in circulation does not increase their value. And since the one you found was found in circulation technically it probably detracts from its value and would be more like a $10 coin or less since examples in MS-60 state or better will be the norm.
 
I tried to fill my JFK book by CRHing and got inpatient so I bought my 1970-D from a dealer for $12. It was in BU condition, white and shining. If you are in an area with lots of coin dealers, then I would say $10 for what you found from CRHing. But if you live in an area with no coin dealer, then $15 would be fair. By the way, I just found my first 1970-D and I would never sell it. Too hard to come by!
 
what I would do is to go and buy a 1970 mint set from a dealer for about 10.00-15.00 and sell the half for 12.00 and still have the penny nickle dime and quarter for myself its that simple the wolf
 
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/item...alQQ_fln Z1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em283?_rdc=1
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
coinmojo said:
I am trying to help a coworker fill his coin collection out.

I have been fair in the past. But he has gone to coin shops and paid what they are asking for coins I could not provide.

He now wants to purchase a 1970D JFK from me.

My 2007 RedBook lists it at $13 in MS63

I feel like it has more value than that.

As most of us heavy searchers here know, Very Hard to come by......

I have found 2 in the nearly 4 years I have been pounding the CRH Beat.

Many hours and travel and buying and dumping and over 2 million Half Dollars passing through my hands, I feel there is greater value than the price listed in the Red Book

Perhaps I'm too sentimental. and have grown attached to the 2 lonely 70D's ????????

Any opinion on this coins Value. Would be greatly appreciated.

Mojo


Sounds like you answered your question in your post. Since they are so hard to come by but relatively cheap to buy in the coin store, I say let him go and buy one. You should keep your 70s for your own collection. Is it really worth 14 or so dollars to part with a coin that you had to search so long and hard to find?

He should have no trouble finding a nice one in a coin store for under 20 bucks or so.

Jim
 
Thanks everyone for the help I needed to make this decision.

I will make this coworker happy tomorrow.......

I am going to suggest $13....

And next time I'm in a coin shop I might just buy one myself...


Mojo
 
I will never sell a silver nickle, dime, quarter, or half dollar I have found while CRHing. I love looking at my stash way to much. Plus I do this for fun....lol..... that comment made me laugh just now. It was probably just the beers I am drinking right now.... any ways I digress!!... I don't do this for profit myself but it is nice to know what I have "potentially" saved up. I still want to keep my word about someday by burring my hoard and drawing up a treasure map. Maybe the only way I can keep my name and story alive once I am dead. Just sounds fun to have my name in treasure books. lol...Yesss....Awesome....
HH,
Frank
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom