Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
romeo-1 said:
You're lucky...that's a recent loss. Great shape!

You really think it was a recent loss being 1.5' down? If it is all stainless, couldn't it have survived this well? I did notice the "Case" brand insert was gone, it may have oxidized away if not made of stainless.

In any event, cool find. I've only found two knives, so far....one was rusted away and the other is a Swiss Army knife. It is in pretty good shape, still has the toothpick and tweezers in the handle, but, one plastic side is lifted up from a root that grew between it and the knife body.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a very cool find Bob! :notworthy:
It's in great shape and it's American to boot! :notworthy:
I wonder what was in here . . . maybe the makers name? :icon_scratch:

Welcome to Tnet! :hello:

Dave

Attachments

• Knife.jpg
    Knife.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 701

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
romeo-1 said:

You really think it was a recent loss being 1.5' down? If it is all stainless, couldn't it have survived this well? I did notice the "Case" brand insert was gone, it may have oxidized away if not made of stainless.

In any event, cool find. I've only found two knives, so far....one was rusted away and the other is a Swiss Army knife. It is in pretty good shape, still has the toothpick and tweezers in the handle, but, one plastic side is lifted up from a root that grew between it and the knife body.

Oh yeah...definite recent loss. 18 inches down at a beach isn't much...just shifting sands. I've found dozens of pocket knives and it doesn't take long for stainless to break down in the ground.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
romeo-1 said:
Roland58 said:
romeo-1 said:

Oh yeah...definite recent loss. 18 inches down at a beach isn't much...just shifting sands. I've found dozens of pocket knives and it doesn't take long for stainless to break down in the ground.

Stainless breaks down quickly in the ground? I figured it would be good for a long time, if not, permanent. The blades of the Swiss Army knife I found were perfect, even though the key ring was almost rusted away. What happens to the stainless....is it oxidation or some sort of other mineral reaction decomposing it? Do you have any pictures of this process?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
romeo-1 said:
Roland58 said:
romeo-1 said:

Stainless breaks down quickly in the ground? I figured it would be good for a long time, if not, permanent. The blades of the Swiss Army knife I found were perfect, even though the key ring was almost rusted away. What happens to the stainless....is it oxidation or some sort of other mineral reaction decomposing it? Do you have any pictures of this process?

No, but I've got plenty of pictures of rusty old stainless knives...

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
Antiquarian said:

Dave

Fish hook sharpener was in there . Pretty standard on those knifes . I got two like that in my knife box one case and one Kabar but both have hook sharpeners

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those old knives that are in such great shape, congrats.
Bunker

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
romeo-1 said:
Roland58 said:
romeo-1 said:
Roland58 said:
romeo-1 said:

No, but I've got plenty of pictures of rusty old stainless knives...

So, it is oxidation and stainless does rust....whodathunkit? That's what I love about this forum, something learned almost everyday!!

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice knife. Did they start making that model in 1970? It's sweet but looks like you can buy a new one for $38. My stainless knives show some rust on occasion but have to be exposed to really salty water to do so.

Yours is a keeper for sure. :icon_sunny:

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
That's a quality find, congrats!!

Bulldog1948

Jan 2, 2011
SE Ohio
Detector(s) used
GC 1036- Gold Digger
Is that a Case XX knife? That's what the markings seem to show in the first pic. That's a great knife to find . :icon_thumleft: It would make my day anyday of the week.
My best Case find was in an old bag of filthy knives that a buddy of mine paid 5 bucks for. He charge me $20 and laughed. Well, i had the last laugh. When cleaned up I pulled a Cataragus knife from the group [ they were the forerunner of the Case Knife Co.] Oh Happy Day :headbang:
Bulldog 1948

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Antiquarian said:

Dave
Nice find :thumbsup:
Case makes some fine blades.
Wonder why the insert is gone :icon_scratch:
Marine environment will rust all but the best grades of 'stainless' steel.
Here's an old 'XX' with carbon blades

Attachments

• nc finds 2-12.jpg
    nc finds 2-12.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 463
  • nc finds 2-12 001.jpg
    nc finds 2-12 001.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 384

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread