1974 eisenhower silver dollar 90 percent silver ?

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a 1974 eisenhower silver dollar and this coin looks different . it looks more like silver than the other dollars i have and it doesnt have the copper ring on the edge . my question is what is the possibility of it being 90 percent silver and not 40. has this ever happened need help super dave

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
No chance. 90% silver dollars were last minted with the Peace series, ending in 1935. The Ike had 40% silver issues in both a proof and uncirculated strike. Both were minted in San Fran.

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what about the missing copper ring that is normally on the edge is this not unusual of are there lots of the dollar with it missing?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A few 1974-D Ike dollars were minted in error in silver clad composition (same for 71-S, 72-S and 73-S).
The retail value for silver-clad 74-D is not listed in my 2009 Official Red Book, though its existence is.
Don.....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Mackaydon said:
A few 1974-D Ike dollars were minted in error in silver clad composition (same for 71-S, 72-S and 73-S).
The retail value for silver-clad 74-D is not listed in my 2009 Official Red Book, though its existence is.
Don.....

The above mentioned error does exist, but it is an extreme rarity. San Fran produced both a proof and uncirculated strike in 1974. They will have an "S" mint mark. The absence of the visible copper core is no indication that you have a coin minted on a planchet other than a 40% silver composition. Many 40%'ers will have the appearance of a 90% planchet.

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this coin we are talking about is a 1974 s when you say proof or uncirculated does that mean that the coin is special or worth something and should i hold on to it thanks dave

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is worth holding onto. :icon_thumright:

Your 1974-S Eisenhower Dollar could be either copper-nickel clad or silver clad as it was minted in both compositions. The silver issue is 40% silver and has a value for silver content of a little over $7.00 as of today.

I'm not aware of any "Ikes" being thought to have been minted on 90% planchets. What is the condition of your coin? Can you post a pic?

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can't send a pic today maybe later but the condition is very good it has been in my posession since the 70s just happen to get them out i had a dozen or so of the big dollar coins and just now noticed that it looked different than the rest so i started asking questions i was hoping that it could be special dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread