What's new

1990D Half Dollar mintmark question

packerbacker

Gold Member
Joined
May 11, 2005
Messages
8,350
Reaction score
2,992
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get a pic of it right now but, I've found the mintmark location to vary a little on the 90D half. The "D", for the mostpart, is located between and slightly higher than the two "9's". I've found two coins where the "D" is located between the "9's" but is lower than the top of the 9's. Is that a common variable??
 
Upvote 0
Common for me. I noticed one with the very low positioned D and then after I noticed it, I found more, so I did not save them.
 
Ditto. I've seen enough to each version to conclude they weren't keepers.

If I'm mistaken, let me know.
 
I have even seen different sizes of mint marks. It looks like the letter is hand applied to the main die after it gets to Denver or Philly. Guess there is no rule on exact positioning.
 
Interesting posts, all. Makes me realize I ought to pay more attention to mint marks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom