Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here we are at the beginning of 2017, starting from scratch, nothing in the till. So how did the first hunt of the new year turn out?

As amazing and unpredictable as the finds of 2016!

First coin of the year was an 1893 V-nickel, very toasty but still readable. Next coin was silver, at least 35%, in the form of a 1943 P War nickel. After that came two wheats, a 1950 followed by a 1909. These first four targets were dug in an area of high EMI, so I had the sensitivity down to 70, still plenty of depth to get the V and the 1909. There was also a child's junk ring in the hole with the V-nickel and bears the raised letters "HONGKONG" inside.

I moved away from the EMI region and raised the sensitivity back up to 92 and dug a few square nails and then got another signal with a VDI over 90. Down about 6 to 7 inches I swiped away enough soil to reveal a golden edge. Got out the cell phone and recorded the extraction of an 1800s gold ring; it tests positive for at least 14K. The engraved onyx appears to have the bearers initials in reverse order as if the ring could also have been used as a stamp with ink.

Easy to have firsts on the first hunt of the year. Here in Baltimore it was cold and rainy, so I lasted three hours and then headed to the truck to get dry and check out that ring. BTW, this is the same park I hunted all of December.

Thx for checking out the pix!
Finds_02Jan2017.jpg

Here's link to video of ring find

Last edited:
Upvote 101

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
To all those of the TreasureNet family who liked, posted, and voted "banner" on this post:
I met with the jeweler today and he inspected the ring and also conferred with a senior member who confirmed his assessment. I am the first to admit my "novice" status when it comes to jewelry, if it looks "old" I assume it is just that. Well, it appears its time for McCDig to eat a piece of "humble pie". According to Mr. Webster's dictionary this means - a figurative serving of humiliation usually in the form of a forced apology, or retraction. Now this is a humiliation in a good sense in that I can say to you all that I really thought I had something old, but it looks like I am mistaken about its authenticity. There is no maker's mark, which would have spoken of its provenance. It is real gold, but is thought to be a modern adaptation of a Victorian style. It certainly is a custom creation, giving the specific initials in reverse order for wax seal application. To wrap up my retraction let me say thanks to all who voted for "Banner" but I request that the "Banner" status be removed as there is some reasonable doubt as to the authenticity of the piece.

Happy Hunting! McCDig

P.S. At least with a coin you usually know the age. Jewelry doesn't come with a date.

Without having the ring in hand it is very difficult to asses the age of it. If I am to go off a gut feeling and past experience I would say early to mid 19th.

The color is very good 16k or better and the lack of hallmark showing Karat helps establish before 1900 or so.

I found a similar ring that dated to the same period and also had no hallmark. It was found in an area with trash from the 1860's but it had considerable wear and a repair done to it.

99% of all recreations will have a karat value stamped as it is required by law.

I would be second guessing what the long term forum member and jeweler told you, in fact I wouldnt accept their opinion unless they had definitive facts that could discredit the period style. There are plenty of us that know what old gold looks like and have no reason to not give you an educated assessment.

Great banner find.

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds! Wow! Awesome! I Mean! Congrats

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In re - reading the original post and seeing the Youtube video of you digging this from six inches down , from an old park in Baltimore , I'm way more convinced that it's circa mid 19th century than I was before. Also I think it takes a lot more faith to think it's a more modern creation considering the bloodstone is perfectly "period" as are the Gothic style reverse letters . The style of the shank is perfectly in keeping with a neo classical revival in goldsmithing , that featured the ancient Etruscan and Greek use of "granulation" (the decorative application of gold beads in any number of jewelry formats ) I don't believe that a reasonable arguement for a modern piece has been put forth as yet .

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Underminer! I hope to take it to the Club meeting at the end of the month and have our gold expert test it.
Big Congrads McD!! That is one very nice save! I may come to the meeting just to see that beauty. My Guess would be 1850 to 1890......:notworthy:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To all those of the TreasureNet family who liked, posted, and voted "banner" on this post:
I met with the jeweler today and he inspected the ring and also conferred with a senior member who confirmed his assessment. I am the first to admit my "novice" status when it comes to jewelry, if it looks "old" I assume it is just that. Well, it appears its time for McCDig to eat a piece of "humble pie". According to Mr. Webster's dictionary this means - a figurative serving of humiliation usually in the form of a forced apology, or retraction. Now this is a humiliation in a good sense in that I can say to you all that I really thought I had something old, but it looks like I am mistaken about its authenticity. There is no maker's mark, which would have spoken of its provenance. It is real gold, but is thought to be a modern adaptation of a Victorian style. It certainly is a custom creation, giving the specific initials in reverse order for wax seal application. To wrap up my retraction let me say thanks to all who voted for "Banner" but I request that the "Banner" status be removed as there is some reasonable doubt as to the authenticity of the piece.

Happy Hunting! McCDig

P.S. At least with a coin you usually know the age. Jewelry doesn't come with a date.

McCDig, I have found way over 500 gold rings. If I were you I would do what was suggested and contact an antiquities dealer. The folks at a jewelry store might be knowledgeable and might not be. Just because they have an opinion doesn't at all mean it is gospel.

I found an 1893CC 10.00 gold coin. Not one but TWO coin shops said it was only worth bullion value. I laughed at both of them and walked out. Only 14 thousand made and the last year Carson City minted gold. I got way over double for it.

In the USA the National Stamping Act came into play in 1906. Gold had to be stamped after that act. I have found many rings that were not stamped and are real gold that were antique. Did they tell you what karat it is?

I would never believe one stores expert opinion. I would for sure try another. I also have found custom made newer jewelry that wasn't marked. HOWEVER, Why would anyone want a backwards initial wax seal ring. No purpose in having one. I wouldn't trust the place you took it. My free 2¢

Last edited:
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Scuba Detector! In my reply to you I will address jointly all the other seasoned detectorists who've identified this find as period. It seems I've been staring the proverbial "gift horse in the mouth". No disrespect intended and your advice is well-taken. Thanks to all.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
WHADIFIND and others have said it way more eloquently than I did. It's a banner all day long.

But I still think in the long run you should find specialized assessment. If you are a seller, you will want to know the true value so you aren't getting suckered. If you are a keeper and it is old, there is insurance value to consider...

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for some "sage" advice DigToChina! Just goes to show that a find is sometimes just the beginning of a journey!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ITS ACTUALLY THE 3RD EXAMPLE IVE SEEN ON HERE - guy in RI got one similar - with bloodstone and 3 initial seal ring
was a few yrs ago - gonna try and find it

This treasure is actually really pretty, unique, and rare... not to mention the historical significance and the mystery behind the initials... so I say BANNER all the way! :goldtrophy::hello2:

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
McCDig, Why would anyone want a backwards initial wax seal ring. No purpose in having one. I wouldn't trust the place you took it. My free 2¢

exactly.
seems extremely eccentric to re-create that.
can't wait till you get an knowledgeable, honest appraisal.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In re - reading the original post and seeing the Youtube video of you digging this from six inches down , from an old park in Baltimore , I'm way more convinced that it's circa mid 19th century than I was before. Also I think it takes a lot more faith to think it's a more modern creation considering the bloodstone is perfectly "period" as are the Gothic style reverse letters . The style of the shank is perfectly in keeping with a neo classical revival in goldsmithing , that featured the ancient Etruscan and Greek use of "granulation" (the decorative application of gold beads in any number of jewelry formats ) I don't believe that a reasonable arguement for a modern piece has been put forth as yet .

Just caught up on this thread...

First off I 100% agree with this post.

Second ... ARRRG ! ! ! SHEESH.

Who told you that this is a "copy" McDig ? ? ?

Bah !... I no more believe this is a copy than there is a hermit living on the moon.

TAKE THIS RING TO SOMEONE ELSE> !

I have met more IDIOTS in the jewelry biz who think they know it all... than I have at bars.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fact I will add...
And I mean this whole heartedly...

I do not... in any way... trust many jewelers. Period.

Wanna buy from em ? fine.

Wanna sell to em.... ? ? ? better know what YOU are selling / doing.

Want an opinion from a jeweler ? ? ?

Better go to at least three.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without having the ring in hand it is very difficult to asses the age of it. If I am to go off a gut feeling and past experience I would say early to mid 19th.

The color is very good 16k or better and the lack of hallmark showing Karat helps establish before 1900 or so.

I found a similar ring that dated to the same period and also had no hallmark. It was found in an area with trash from the 1860's but it had considerable wear and a repair done to it.

99% of all recreations will have a karat value stamped as it is required by law.

I would be second guessing what the long term forum member and jeweler told you, in fact I wouldnt accept their opinion unless they had definitive facts that could discredit the period style. There are plenty of us that know what old gold looks like and have no reason to not give you an educated assessment.

Great banner find.

Agreed again.

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't take one opinion I would get another. In any case in my opinion it should stay up top. It's gold, unique and it came from 6 inches under ground, a darn good find anywhere anytime. Art

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice way to start the New Year! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike, for a jeweler to look at a ring and say, "well, it's not hallmarked, so that further indicates that the ring is not old" is a glaring testament to the fact that they have no business looking at antique or colonial jewelry.

Perhaps they wanted to write it off as not old to avoid a buying situation? Or maybe they do want to buy it and land it for cheap after they knock you down because they are 'the experts'.

You have some great responses in here from some seasoned old gold diggers.

That ring was pulled up amidst flatties, indians, seateds, even a draped bust cent within about 50 yards. It's period. For sure.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McDig, you sir have some BIG BALLS!!!!!! VERY few would ask for their banner to be taking down like that. Now I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about jewelry BUT what I DO know is that there are some VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE members here and when they vote something for a banner it's because THEY KNOW it's a SPECIAL FIND!!!!! And I find GREAT comfort in that!!!! I'm sure what you were told took a lil wind out of your sail but go with what your gut tells you brother... REGARDLESS of what they said it's STILL a KICK A$$ find!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, fishstick! You've put your finger on the proverbially pulse of this entire scenario. The TreasureNet family has shared a big dose of realism and encouragement that I find amazing. That is very much appreciated!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, thanks for bringing me back to reality. I am amazed at what is still (and will continue to) coming out of that park. As I shared the ring story this week I mentioned (as I did in the video clip) that I had swung over this area dozens of times and then there were all those detectorists before me who did the same and none of us pulled that ring until 2017!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread