Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here we are at the beginning of 2017, starting from scratch, nothing in the till. So how did the first hunt of the new year turn out?

As amazing and unpredictable as the finds of 2016!

First coin of the year was an 1893 V-nickel, very toasty but still readable. Next coin was silver, at least 35%, in the form of a 1943 P War nickel. After that came two wheats, a 1950 followed by a 1909. These first four targets were dug in an area of high EMI, so I had the sensitivity down to 70, still plenty of depth to get the V and the 1909. There was also a child's junk ring in the hole with the V-nickel and bears the raised letters "HONGKONG" inside.

I moved away from the EMI region and raised the sensitivity back up to 92 and dug a few square nails and then got another signal with a VDI over 90. Down about 6 to 7 inches I swiped away enough soil to reveal a golden edge. Got out the cell phone and recorded the extraction of an 1800s gold ring; it tests positive for at least 14K. The engraved onyx appears to have the bearers initials in reverse order as if the ring could also have been used as a stamp with ink.

Easy to have firsts on the first hunt of the year. Here in Baltimore it was cold and rainy, so I lasted three hours and then headed to the truck to get dry and check out that ring. BTW, this is the same park I hunted all of December.

Thx for checking out the pix!
Finds_02Jan2017.jpg

Here's link to video of ring find

Last edited:
Upvote 101

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! CONGRATZ on the FIND and the BANNER!!!!!!!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike, you DOG! You deserve it, you're a great hunter. I had a good day over the weekend myself, and I was also using the JE mode. I'm going to have to use it more often.

Crazy how a fat gold ring at 6" hasn't been sucked out of the ground yet. Only means one thing: there's more!

Kudos man.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great banner find. I know I'm late to the party but a couple things - it looks like a seal ring, and also 16K was a popular purity of gold a while back, for jewelry and fillings. Maybe all this was covered but I didn't read through 85 posts. Lol

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet, rare, and a well deserved banner.
When the 1st baby of the year is born in NYC,, there is always all sorts of coverage by the news agencies.
Is this the first banner for 2017?
Where are all the cameras and reporters?? lol
:bronzetrophy: :bronzetrophy::bronzetrophy:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the fantastic ring and banner!
I've found that AU is dissolved slowly by acid on standard acid/stone rub testing, for the correct purity, where 'underkarat'? goes up in a puff of smoke
if its 5-10 seconds before its gone, and that will be its approx purity level Imo. hh, Herbie.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does my heart good to see such a deserving piece up top.

Congrats!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To all those of the TreasureNet family who liked, posted, and voted "banner" on this post:
I met with the jeweler today and he inspected the ring and also conferred with a senior member who confirmed his assessment. I am the first to admit my "novice" status when it comes to jewelry, if it looks "old" I assume it is just that. Well, it appears its time for McCDig to eat a piece of "humble pie". According to Mr. Webster's dictionary this means - a figurative serving of humiliation usually in the form of a forced apology, or retraction. Now this is a humiliation in a good sense in that I can say to you all that I really thought I had something old, but it looks like I am mistaken about its authenticity. There is no maker's mark, which would have spoken of its provenance. It is real gold, but is thought to be a modern adaptation of a Victorian style. It certainly is a custom creation, giving the specific initials in reverse order for wax seal application. To wrap up my retraction let me say thanks to all who voted for "Banner" but I request that the "Banner" status be removed as there is some reasonable doubt as to the authenticity of the piece.

Happy Hunting! McCDig

P.S. At least with a coin you usually know the age. Jewelry doesn't come with a date.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Brad, thanks much. Pulled four more indians today and pewter flat button.
Please see my retraction posted moments ago. Gold but a repro!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp, that was an extremely nice gesture, Mr McCDig. While there may be doubt in the age of that piece, there certainly isn't any in your integrity.

That said, I still say the piece speaks for itself. If it is real gold, all that I make of the so called "experts" in jewelry's opinions is that, plain and simple, THEY JUST DON'T KNOW! To me....THAT does NOT qualify stating categorically that it's a repro. The style of the ring, the craftsmanship, the possibility that it is simply an unknown jewelry maker's creation from an unknown time does not diminish it one iota in my eyes.

Unless someone can state, and prove, that this is not old, I vote it should stay.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Maybe seeking out a jeweller specializing in antiques for a definitive conclusion is a good idea? I can't imagine a ton of reverse character rings for wax seals with no makers marks are being produced now a days.

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe seeking out a jeweller specializing in antiques for a definitive conclusion is a good idea? I can't imagine a ton of reverse character rings for wax seals with no makers marks are being produced now a days.

Typing fast is just one of the throwback skills I caught through my career, not needed anymore, just a residual effect. ;)

Actually, I don't see a need to go any further on this one. Unless McCDig wants to have his banner pulled for personal reasons, I say the pretty ring is a very nice adornment up top. Let it ride!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure do admire your character McDig. In a time when others might post a fake find or even lobby for the perceived"glory" of banner status, you are a breath of fresh air. Who before has asked that their banner be removed? My hat's off to you. Let me add that I hope that the expert was wrong and your find is indeed significant. Its a beautiful ring.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome ring. more likely bloodstone rather than black onyx. bloodstone is black with red flecks in it and was also a popular choice for signet rings

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
been following this one and now i just want to say, get some other opinions. It seems really odd to me. did the jeweler make an offer or give you a value?

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, 6 inches down in a Baltimore park it more than likely is not that "new" either way a fantastic find!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too appreciate your integrity McCDig , but I would like to know why you place this level of confidence in "the jeweler" and a "senior " associate , while dozens of experienced field diggers were giving a very different assesment .I am a jeweler myself - I make no claim to be an expert on Victorian era seal ring - but several of the members who responded to your post have dug period examples of similar seal rings . The overwhelming response from so many experienced detectorists lends a lot of credence to your find . I would be grateful if you would tell me why these two jewelers have your full confidence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread