Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here we are at the beginning of 2017, starting from scratch, nothing in the till. So how did the first hunt of the new year turn out?

As amazing and unpredictable as the finds of 2016!

First coin of the year was an 1893 V-nickel, very toasty but still readable. Next coin was silver, at least 35%, in the form of a 1943 P War nickel. After that came two wheats, a 1950 followed by a 1909. These first four targets were dug in an area of high EMI, so I had the sensitivity down to 70, still plenty of depth to get the V and the 1909. There was also a child's junk ring in the hole with the V-nickel and bears the raised letters "HONGKONG" inside.

I moved away from the EMI region and raised the sensitivity back up to 92 and dug a few square nails and then got another signal with a VDI over 90. Down about 6 to 7 inches I swiped away enough soil to reveal a golden edge. Got out the cell phone and recorded the extraction of an 1800s gold ring; it tests positive for at least 14K. The engraved onyx appears to have the bearers initials in reverse order as if the ring could also have been used as a stamp with ink.

Easy to have firsts on the first hunt of the year. Here in Baltimore it was cold and rainy, so I lasted three hours and then headed to the truck to get dry and check out that ring. BTW, this is the same park I hunted all of December.

Thx for checking out the pix!
Finds_02Jan2017.jpg

Here's link to video of ring find

Last edited:
Upvote 101
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Carolina Tom.
I think the former owner will remain unknown but for the initials A. B. M.
From the size and style of the ring I'm assuming a lady and one of substantial means or she was well-funded by an admirer.
Another possibility is that this is a family heirloom that was passed to the next generation and lost more recently.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Rick! If treasure net can handle the 20MB file size on that .mp4 file, I'll do it.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx ShortbusElite! It was a good start to a new year of detecting.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is meant specifically for Rick from Nova Scotia. I've been fairly transparent with my fellow Club members about where I hunt and have pointed out locations within Baltimore City parks where I've had some of my good finds. In the case of the ring I found on Monday, the video I shot has a pan of the area in the beginning of the clip and it is a dead giveaway of my location. I am retracting my offer to Rick to post the video. I would like to go back to this site now after we've had a day of rain and see if I can't pull other treasures that have hitherto eluded me and many other detectorists.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rick, I thought I was not able to post video, but upon further review my location is not given away and I have attached the youtube link to the original post.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer find!! Banner all the way...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one KILLER ring!!! Beautiful.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx BuckleBoy! Appreciate your post and the banner sentiment. It was fun to post a truly unusual find.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From your pic of the lower shank of this ring , the beaded detail shows very little wear - this suggests to me that the ring was not worn regularly for years , rather more specialized use - as might be expected of a seal ring .

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The mystery grows. Has me wanting to know more. Will be taking this to the jeweler tomorrow for value estimate and cost of repair.

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I saw the pic and on the first page nobody said banner I was a bit annoyed... That ring is a unique piece and beautifully conserved...Banner all the way.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it too. Always enjoy the Victorian era if that is what it is. Ok time to leave and get in my deer stand.Sun be up in 4 hours. My treasure hunting season starts after this Sunday. Hopefully a treasure like yours will come my way soon.Keep us updated from the jeweler also like seeing the vid of it in the muddy hole. :hello:
HH
TnMtns
p.s
I need Coffee as it was already on the banner when I posted! Congrats.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I saw the pic and on the first page nobody said banner I was a bit annoyed... That ring is a unique piece and beautifully conserved...Banner all the way.

Um... I did.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have found is a serious piece. IMO of course.

Do not let someone stone rub that ring incorrectly... and my advice would be to NOT scratch / stone rub that ring in any way.

You have found a real gem man.

PS...

BANNER... All day long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread