Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here we are at the beginning of 2017, starting from scratch, nothing in the till. So how did the first hunt of the new year turn out?

As amazing and unpredictable as the finds of 2016!

First coin of the year was an 1893 V-nickel, very toasty but still readable. Next coin was silver, at least 35%, in the form of a 1943 P War nickel. After that came two wheats, a 1950 followed by a 1909. These first four targets were dug in an area of high EMI, so I had the sensitivity down to 70, still plenty of depth to get the V and the 1909. There was also a child's junk ring in the hole with the V-nickel and bears the raised letters "HONGKONG" inside.

I moved away from the EMI region and raised the sensitivity back up to 92 and dug a few square nails and then got another signal with a VDI over 90. Down about 6 to 7 inches I swiped away enough soil to reveal a golden edge. Got out the cell phone and recorded the extraction of an 1800s gold ring; it tests positive for at least 14K. The engraved onyx appears to have the bearers initials in reverse order as if the ring could also have been used as a stamp with ink.

Easy to have firsts on the first hunt of the year. Here in Baltimore it was cold and rainy, so I lasted three hours and then headed to the truck to get dry and check out that ring. BTW, this is the same park I hunted all of December.

Thx for checking out the pix!
Finds_02Jan2017.jpg

Here's link to video of ring find

Last edited:
Upvote 101
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, Art! Some valid observations there. I appreciate your "Banner" continuance vote.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you AARC for following this thread and adding your perspective with the "IMO" disclaimer. Your opinion on such matters in valued. Thanks for your "Banner" support.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed, Dave. Does seem unlikely, but not totally off-the-wall. Still the depth and the setting where it was found make me think it's old.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Casper, thanks for the example...very similar with that bloodstone. My ring has a pine green (deep color) with red flecks. This I understand to be the usual presentation of bloodstone.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reason being - most are just that - jewelers - most don't have any real educated training
find one with a degree in mineralology or gemology - even geology
I found a 19th century old cut diamond - took to 4 "jewelers"
3 of them - their diamond testers said it was a fake - those 3 were tv jewelers
4th had a few college degrees and under a jewelers microscope and some other tests proved it to be real
it was set in platinum with different platinum marking than usual - they did not recognize - 2 of them said metal
was junk too :tongue3:

I fact I will add...
And I mean this whole heartedly...

I do not... in any way... trust many jewelers. Period.

Wanna buy from em ? fine.

Wanna sell to em.... ? ? ? better know what YOU are selling / doing.

Want an opinion from a jeweler ? ? ?

Better go to at least three.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a well deserved Banner McCDig.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To all those of the TreasureNet family who liked, posted, and voted "banner" on this post:
I met with the jeweler today and he inspected the ring and also conferred with a senior member who confirmed his assessment. I am the first to admit my "novice" status when it comes to jewelry, if it looks "old" I assume it is just that. Well, it appears its time for McCDig to eat a piece of "humble pie". According to Mr. Webster's dictionary this means - a figurative serving of humiliation usually in the form of a forced apology, or retraction. Now this is a humiliation in a good sense in that I can say to you all that I really thought I had something old, but it looks like I am mistaken about its authenticity. There is no maker's mark, which would have spoken of its provenance. It is real gold, but is thought to be a modern adaptation of a Victorian style. It certainly is a custom creation, giving the specific initials in reverse order for wax seal application. To wrap up my retraction let me say thanks to all who voted for "Banner" but I request that the "Banner" status be removed as there is some reasonable doubt as to the authenticity of the piece.

Happy Hunting! McCDig

P.S. At least with a coin you usually know the age. Jewelry doesn't come with a date.

You know McCDig?
I just read the entire post up to this point.
& I think the ring is def,
Still a banner cause of the way it has turned out. (Your Character )

I got fooled last week , I thought I had a 18 K White Gold Band & It turned out to be Tungsten Carbide.:BangHead:..8-). Big disappointment , but The ring Fits Good & I kinda like the 'Gun Metal Grey Look'. It rang up a solid 54 vdi on my XLT So I was thinking Heavy GOLD. Oh Well maybe next time .

Maybe your piece is old /IMO Unless it was custom made , it might have a Carat Mark if it was made in-) the last 100 years or so .:icon_scratch:

It's still a nice piece tho , and the decision to Melt will be easier if "Modern".

I caught the first part of your next post & IH's Rule at-least in these 'N Ga ' Parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Davers! Appreciate your post and taking the time to wade through the amazing dialog from many a knowledgable hunter. For me this has been a huge encouragement. Since this piece is bonifide gold I'll be holding on to it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A beautiful seal ring, congrats on the find and the banner nod.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx pepperj! Appreciate your post. As you know, rings are hard to come by for us land hunters, much less an old ring!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My banner vote stands.

No matter what... On principle alone if nothing else. heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread