Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1st Edition "The Sand Pebbles" book

Just a little info on this book.There are a couple of these books that are so called first editions. One has this written- New York: Harper and Row, 1962. First Edition. First Edition, first printing, with the letter code "A-N" below the "first Edition" statement, indicating a later issue (in January 1963). The "true" or earlier first edition which was actually released in 1962 has an "I-M" letter code, which indicates the earlier first edition. The difference is $5-600.00 for the earlier edition versus maybe a $100.00 for the later 1st edition. Still a good find regardless.

Matt Hamilton

Dec 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found an unusual copy of The Sand Pebbles with misprint?

Just a little info on this book.There are a couple of these books that are so called first editions. One has this written- New York: Harper and Row, 1962. First Edition. First Edition, first printing, with the letter code "A-N" below the "first Edition" statement, indicating a later issue (in January 1963). The "true" or earlier first edition which was actually released in 1962 has an "I-M" letter code, which indicates the earlier first edition. The difference is $5-600.00 for the earlier edition versus maybe a $100.00 for the later 1st edition. Still a good find regardless.

I did an hour's research online and cannot find any link to The Sand Pebbles as it is sold in 1st Edition or 1st Printing form. My copy is hardcover in dust jacket. The boards are green and the title is written longways across the spine without author name. The book is in English. The dust jacket is priced at $5.95. There is no indentation indicating bomc or bce. There is no publisher information or copyright page. The dust jacket art has the "prize" sticker with the following on the inside "1963 HARPER PRIZE NOVEI " This is on the dust jacket cover. I'll continue to research- I'm now looking for sites that talk about the printing runs of the book. I appreciate any assistance or advice. Thank you, Matt

Attachments

• IMG_3441.JPG
    IMG_3441.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_3442.JPG
    IMG_3442.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3443.JPG
    IMG_3443.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_3445.JPG
    IMG_3445.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3446.JPG
    IMG_3446.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 175

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I have never seen, nor can I find another example of that edition. Seems very odd that there is no copyright page. Are you sure it hasn't been removed? Also, I've never seen a green cloth edition. Have you read this web page- Grove Antiquarian - The Sand Pebbles Puzzle
Check your cover and see how it corresponds, even though it has a different than normal color also. It also mentions-

So, which is the first edition ? (A) Copy I-M is the first edition because it has the earlier date.
(B) Copy A-N's date, January 1963 matches the date on the dust jacket. Copy I-M is some kind of advance copy or first printing before publication.
(C) Some other copy not yet seen is the true first edition. Maybe there are copies out there with an even earlier coding, H-M for example.

Maybe you have the "C". That'd be nice wouldn't it?

Matt Hamilton

Dec 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sand Pebbles -Thanks for your reply!

Was there a 3rd version of the 1st Edition, printed before publication? This clearly has no removed pages. I find it weird for that reason, no publisher printed on the dustjacket or on interior. The "typo" on the cover of dustjacket. It's as if it was not exactly cleared for the public or I don't know what. It is priced which seems odd for an ARC, would you agree? I really appreciate your help. I did see and bookmark the Grove Antiquarian article. The trail is cold now. Working on it, and I'll pass along any significant info that I get. Thanks a lot for commenting and looking in on this. Thanks very much, Matt

Matt Hamilton

Dec 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I've searched a variety of places online and have come to the conclusion that this is likely a pirated edition. The world of pirated 1st Edition books is in itself quite interesting. Thanks for the reference to the "Sand Pebbles Puzzle". It continues to be an interesting ride. I did also recently find a 1922 Edition of "Chessmen of Mars" by E.R. Burroughs which I had listed online as a former library book. I sat down to read the beginning, looked closely at the library stamp (on the inside front and back cover pages to realize that it was a library book from Alcatraz Prison. Now that has been an interesting story as well, the library at Alcatraz and the usage by prisoners there. Interestingly enough, a majority of the prisoners were voracious readers of on average 75 to 100 books per year. I cannot blame them. It was said by the Bureau of Prisons that the men in Alcatraz were better read than most people in the US. Now then.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread