✅ SOLVED 1st find, to big for pocket!!

ga/digger

Dec 10, 2013
deep in the woods
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, flat black pinpointer lost in the flat black woods. custom digger for privet and poison ivy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SANY0029.JPG SANY0030.JPG SANY0034.JPG SANY0031.JPG

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crud that's a monster you must have dug all day to get that out. Sorry no info on what it is though interested to find out.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is not your average wash/cook pot! Very early 1800's? Going by the size and the fact that I don't see any handles, it was built into a brick cooker. On large farms/plantations the kitchens were seperate buildings and would have a pot like that built in. Would be used for rendering, cooking and sometimes laundry. Usually a syrp cooker would be shallower. Tony

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ga/digger

ga/digger

Dec 10, 2013
deep in the woods
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, flat black pinpointer lost in the flat black woods. custom digger for privet and poison ivy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
three days! had to float it out of the hole.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ga/digger

ga/digger

Dec 10, 2013
deep in the woods
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you tony. Found it in my back yard near a creek. The hole was over 4 ft deep! Waiting for the water to drain out before i check the hole.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks to have been in good shape when buried. Hmmm.
Neat find!
Hope it had real expensive company .

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Might be a hog scalder. When a hog was/is killed, they are placed whole in boiling water, and scalded, then the hair is scraped off rather than skinning it. Or your find could be for making soap, in fact it could have been used for a lot of things, but there is one caution. Most of the old hog scalding pots have the bottom broken out of them. That's because water freezes in the winter, ice expands and bingo, your pot is ruined. So it needs to be cleaned up and put somewhere that it won't get water in it and freeze. The first photo shows a syrup boiling, hog scalding setup: boiler.jpg
Next the hair is being scraped off. boiled pig.jpg
And finally, the knife or scraper used to do the job. scraper.jpg
On additional caution. It doesn't take a lot of freezing water to ruin your pot. Just a little will freeze and take the bottom out of the pot. I've seen it happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ga/digger

ga/digger

Dec 10, 2013
deep in the woods
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to have been in good shape when buried. Hmmm.
Neat find!
Hope it had real expensive company .
I found it right side up and it was within a half inch of level. how would it get that deep and stay level?

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
I'm in NE ga. we have pine trees.
I looked to see where you were from but did not notice the ga. in your name.
I guess sugar kettle or crawdad pot would be more likely in your area, but tony is probably correct.
I like charlie's idea though.
I would make a fire ring /stand for it. Something like this one...
firering.jpg

Upvote 0

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used pots like that for making soap, rendering lard, and many other things. They also washed clothes in them. be sure to leave it upside down, because a freeze WILL knock the bottom out.

My mom used one like it for years, when we were on the farm. She passed at 95 in Sept., but I remember helping her almost every fall. Not much wood to heat with, here in West Texas!!

Great find whole!!!

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! How cool is that!?! Never seen one that size come up in one piece. I'd like to nominate you for banner just for the effort to get it out of the ground. :icon_thumright:

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ga/digger

ga/digger

Dec 10, 2013
deep in the woods
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you all for the great support. now for the bad news...... I found another one 8 feet away. Anyone know anybody in the athens ga area that likes to dig?

Upvote 0

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live NE of Atlanta. As they were developing the area, they did uncover a few stills. My kids playing in the woods found one that was pretty fresh. Find 2 or 3 more, and start looking for copper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing7:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ga/digger

ga/digger

Dec 10, 2013
deep in the woods
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! How cool is that!?! Never seen one that size come up in one piece. I'd like to nominate you for banner just for the effort to get it out of the ground. :icon_thumright:

DCMatt
I really need to work on my plug cutting technique.

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i think thats the type of pot, used by some of those roadside stops, that had the boiled peanuts
cool find, wonder why bury it instead of scrap it

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread