Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As an older person, I am paying for all of my "invincible" years. Some days are worse than others, sometimes it is a week or more. So, after doing who knows what, my lower back was killing me to walk or even sit. I have and use an inversion table but it doesn't help. Anyways, I have been stir crazy and finally decided even though I was still hurting but not as badly, I had to get out and dig something. My wife was wanting to try out her new Z-lynk setup anyways so off we went. My very first signal after getting out of the truck turned out to be a 1924 wheatie so that was pretty encouraging. So I managed a little over an hour and found only one other coin, a memorial. I also dug several bolts, a button(modern), several headstamps, some buckshot, couple of pull rings, bottle caps and some can slaw. The wife loves her Z-Lynk but only managed a 410 headstamp and numerous buckshot. I know that one wheatie isn't much but it sure was great to get one in the little time I had. I also gave up on a spot that was covered with heavy shot, probably a turkey load. anyways it could have been a lot worse but the single wheatie saved the day.

Upvote 15

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know how feel , i went out today to two permissions but both were a no go obe was overgrown with weeds and tbe othet was was too muddy, so went a university park and vring home a 1944 wheaty. uhhh

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nice! I definitely have those days where even a single wheatie can salvage the effort. Way to stay after it!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wheats work.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wasn't that long ago that even finding a wheatie was a hard thing around here but this permission has changed all of that for me. The hardest thing besides not being able to go is having to stop and go home. the last find today was the hardest one to dig and I forgot all about it. had to dig through a maze of big roots only to find that it was an old plated spoon. it was one of those I ain't quitting until I get what ever it is out... needed a backhoe

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hunt today was was dripping in sweat I mean soaked . I dug a penny signal where I dug my fist and only Indian. It was deep about 7" down!! I started to scrap back the dirt with my hand, my heart was beating, then I started to see some powder green patina in the dirt I was excited. Then I saw it, plucked it out, rubbed it on my pant leg and saw it....a STINKIN LINCOLN!!

I would have loved to have settle for a wheatie. So congratulations my friend. IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0869.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive found dozens of wheaties in the past month. Only highlights were an IHP and a war nickel

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy finding Wheaties, they're still an "old" coin. And a whole lot better than a zincoln or copper memorial. So, glad you could get out and save a wheat!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all have hunts or stretches like that. I had one just yesterday. Found 35 clad coins in a park, and 1 was a Wheat.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll take a wheatie any day. (It would be my first!!) Congrats!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had many days like that dl. but I found 26 wheats this weekend and posted them on my best finds witch should have been on todays finds...:dontknow:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great you got out and enjoyed the hunt. That old wheat is a nice find...and yeah, some of my hardest digs end up being a small piece of trash...ugh.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll take a wheatie any day. (It would be my first!!) Congrats!

hey, sometimes the 1st of anything is the hardest to find, but hopefully you will break the ice quickly. I guess the quickest way is to actually be a high percentage spot for old coins. Having said that, they can still be found anywhere because they were lost everywhere, you just have to swing over em and dig em.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had many days like that dl. but I found 26 wheats this weekend and posted them on my best finds witch should have been on todays finds...:dontknow:

I guess what the wheaties do besides being a lot better than memorials is that they give some hope of finding something even better. I went one year with just a couple wheaties and that had me really wondering what I was doing wrong. I was hunting a really old school but it was giving up more modern silver and gold, I figure that it had an added layer of fill dirt on it when the gym had been built back in the early 70s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions