2 Broken Glass Vials in 2 Weeks?

Crookedrecords

Mar 2, 2009
I've had the bottoms fall out of two glass vials in about just as many weeks and it wasn't because it was too full of gold. Am I doing something wrong? Both vials were the 4oz size I believe, both had a little gold in them, and both were filled with water. The only things that I can think of are that they may be substandard vials or that you aren't supposed to have them filled with water.

In the first instance I was holding the vial sideways in my hand looking at the gold. I like the fact that the water magnifies the flakes. I felt a tiny speck on the side of the vial that i thought might have been an imperfection in the glass and when i went over it with my fingernail the whole bottom came off and all the water ran out. Luckily the vial was sideways and I don't think I lost any.

Later I transferred that same gold to a similar vial and had it in my center console today because I had taken it to my prospecting club's meeting last night. When I looked at it today the bottom had broken off and it had spilled out into my cup holder. I think the water may be expanding with the temperature change and breaking the vials.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had that happen either. that is why you should use plastic....Matt

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
You might want to consider plastic vials or other non-glass alternatives. I know more than one person who has taken their weekend finds to work come Monday morning only to have the boss drop the glass vial on the concrete floor. And bosses wonder why employees think they are a**^&$@*! It really sucks being down there on the floor trying to find your efforts of the weekend spread across the shop floor.

I've had glass vials freeze and break, but not just out of the blue.

Plastic doesn't break like that. I've gotten to the point that I keep mine in an old 35 mm camera film case. For the nuggets that won't fit (which are none so far), I have other storage devices. Nix the glass.

Good luck,

Lookin

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you use glass it will happen sooner or later.had a friend years ago drop his in a creek with almost a full vial,good sized one to.broke on a rock-i thought he was going to cry.luckily i had my dredge running downstream,caught it all ,but i had been running for a couple of hours-all our gold got mixed-i gave it all to him-he got his back and a lot more.but would gladly do it again(just to keep from seeing a grown man cry) ;Dl.o.l.plastic is a lot safer way to go.but harder to show it off.

flyspekau

Apr 2, 2008
Fresno Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Happens a lot better stick with plastic I had one break in my pocket once if i have glass I put it in a larger plastic vial just incase.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
need to find the company that makes the plastic tubes before they are heated and made into 20 oz bottles have seen them on ebay last year not gor sure what te proper name for them is they are cool about 3-4 inches long about 1-2 round and have the neck with threads and a lid before they become full size 20 oz bottles my fatherinlaw said johnson controls a battery company used to make them hes not for sure if they still do if they do i have one here in town and will check up on it and see if i can get any .

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a steady supply of the soda bottle vials from a friend that makes beer. The company uses them for yeast..The company info is, White Labs, 7564 Trade St. San Diego, Ca. 92121. Im sure they can tell you where to get them.. www.whitelabs.com

Cooter

OP
OP
C

Crookedrecords

Mar 2, 2009
Thank you all for the great info. I'll get in touch with that company. I'm in San Diego so that is convenient.

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
when i bought some that happened to me as well. mine was sitting on the shelf inside of my desk and when i was ready to transfer some gold to it i noticed it was shattered. nothing bumped it nothing stepped on it ... it just broke... all i can think of is i over filled it with tap water and the gasses expanded or some other crazy notion and pop !! i moved it down to the half ounce and have not had any probs .. mine was a 1 oz size.

Axgar

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hydraulics 101 - fluids do not compress well
If you FILL the glass vial with water then warm it up, the water will expand. Since water does not compress well and because it has warmed and expanded to become a larger volume, something has to give. Fortunately gases like air do compress well.

The fix - always leave a bubble of air in your vial and so long as you dont fumble it, it will never break

Leave the plastic vials in the bargain bin. They easily scratch and become useless

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
El Cooter said:
I get a steady supply of the soda bottle vials from a friend that makes beer. The company uses them for yeast..The company info is, White Labs, 7564 Trade St. San Diego, Ca. 92121. Im sure they can tell you where to get them.. www.whitelabs.com

Cooter
Hey Coot,I guess I never asked ya where to get those!!!!I have been trying to get my hands on them for a while now,but the only places I found required ordering a lot.I talked to a mutual freind the other night and we worked out a deal.I have 330 of them coming!Anybody interested in buying let me know.$3.00 each plus shipping,they hold four ounces.

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
I found this one on a job site. I think they had "different" nuggets in it.

Attachments

• stripe-vile 010.jpg
    stripe-vile 010.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 353
  • stripe-vile 015.jpg
    stripe-vile 015.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 359

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will work!I still havent filled the big one you sent me Fish,but I am getting ready to try! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread