Attachments

• gmi.jpg
    gmi.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 752
  • bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 857
Upvote 0
Wow! That must be a great spot... way to go... Get back there and find the rest! :icon_thumright:

Welcome to the board

*Greg*

Great finds, Awesome Georgia Cadet button, what does the backmark read? alittle different detail than a few i have seen.
alittle history on it, Georgia Military Institute "GMI" was located in Marietta Georgia, formed in 1851, burned in 1864, and the cadets saw considerable action in the 1864 Atlanta campaign.

Bill

That button is a fantastic find. Really well cleaned and preserved too. I was looking at it, noticing gilding, but I don't know if I would sacrifice that clarity and nice green to retrieve the gilding. It's just great as-is.

The GMI is Seriously a Killer Find. No doubt.

Cheers,

Buckles

Great looking haul :icon_thumright: Congrat's and Welcome!!

Thanks everyone! The back mark is the standard "SCOVILL MGCO SUPERFINE". The button was found near an early war site in central Virginia, but I believe it was a late war camp judging from the empty cartridges and the spencer rounds I found in the camp, pretty intereseting!

Beautiful button. Appears heavily gilted, although the patina present is pretty as well. Congrats.

Nice finds and Great button!!!!

Great finds. What part of VA are you hunting?

That's a great couple days, that button is shweet! :icon_thumleft:If you ever need help digging out the lead so you can find more buttons...let us know. :laughing7: HH!

Congrats on finding a awesome site and on digging that awesome button what a great find!! HH! :icon_thumright:

Im hunting a spot in central virginia (can't give too many details!) And its only about 10 acres but the camp itself is fairly small. But I believe it is untouched, we have found in excess of 125 bullets but the only button was the GMI... other than a few zoave buttons and an "extra quality" button back. But we have hit it pretty hard. Fairly convinced there are no plates unfortunately... I will keep you updated on future finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back