What's new

2 day hunt Civil War camp.

gbpackrfan1990

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2012
Messages
85
Reaction score
198
Golden Thread
1
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejan; Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been hunting what appears to be a civil war cavalry camp for the past two days. these are my goodies.

Update: I went back to the site today and found an additional 34 bullets. unfortunately no more buttons :(
 

Attachments

  • gmi.webp
    gmi.webp
    25 KB · Views: 777
  • bullets.webp
    bullets.webp
    65.1 KB · Views: 880
Upvote 0
Wow! That must be a great spot... way to go... Get back there and find the rest! :icon_thumright:

Welcome to the board

*Greg*
 
Great CW Relics... Congrats :icon_thumright:
 
Great finds, Awesome Georgia Cadet button, what does the backmark read? alittle different detail than a few i have seen.
alittle history on it, Georgia Military Institute "GMI" was located in Marietta Georgia, formed in 1851, burned in 1864, and the cadets saw considerable action in the 1864 Atlanta campaign.

Bill
 
That button is a fantastic find. Really well cleaned and preserved too. I was looking at it, noticing gilding, but I don't know if I would sacrifice that clarity and nice green to retrieve the gilding. It's just great as-is.

The GMI is Seriously a Killer Find. No doubt.


Cheers,


Buckles
 
Great looking haul :icon_thumright: Congrat's and Welcome!!
 
Thanks everyone! The back mark is the standard "SCOVILL MGCO SUPERFINE". The button was found near an early war site in central Virginia, but I believe it was a late war camp judging from the empty cartridges and the spencer rounds I found in the camp, pretty intereseting!
 
Beautiful button. Appears heavily gilted, although the patina present is pretty as well. Congrats.
 
Nice finds and Great button!!!!
 
Great finds. What part of VA are you hunting?
 
That's a great couple days, that button is shweet! :icon_thumleft:If you ever need help digging out the lead so you can find more buttons...let us know. :laughing7: HH!
 
Congrats on finding a awesome site and on digging that awesome button what a great find!! HH! :icon_thumright:
 
Im hunting a spot in central virginia (can't give too many details!) And its only about 10 acres but the camp itself is fairly small. But I believe it is untouched, we have found in excess of 125 bullets but the only button was the GMI... other than a few zoave buttons and an "extra quality" button back. But we have hit it pretty hard. Fairly convinced there are no plates unfortunately... I will keep you updated on future finds!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom