ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just caught this thread... too bad I missed until now... FOR...

I know Egmont like the back of my hand.

MAny wrecks... both known and unknown.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1111.jpg 1111Engine.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF there were subs there...

They would be known... OR... deep in sand... Which... is a possibility... the sands move there like crazy.

Btw...

Egmont is disappearing... quickly.

Like its sister island Passage key she is slowly dissolving .... err and Mullet key... as well as the rest of them.

Don't worry...
They will return in 50 or more years :)

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The U-67 sank the Empire Mica near Panama City in 1942.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This incident occurred on the east coast, but the principles remain fairly consistent, IMHO.

On April 8th 1942, the American tanker Oklahoma was sunk by German U-boat 123 in 40 feet of water about 10 miles off St. Simons Island, Ga. 31degrees 18' North, 80 degrees 59' West.

As a matter of fact, the wreck of Oklahoma was so shallow that she was refloated and returned to service later in 1942 !!!

oklahoma sinking.png

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my initial post I made a reference to the possibility of 2 sub's off Egmont Key...in 1950.
I cut my dad a little slack and just try to write some of this stuff off as musings of and old man.
Anyway.... here's the rest of his tale...
There were 2 undamaged German sub's off Egmont key ...he and his air force Buddy dove on them once.
They looked into a small window and it appeared that everything was still dry...no water inside them...
They were apprehensive about opening them up because of the possibility of bodies inside them...and the diplomatic red tape of having to identify and return the remains..that was the first dive on the sub's..
After a few days of thinking it over ...they figured they might be able to cash in on the opportunity .the sub's were rumored to have a large amount of mercury ...used for ballast...as well as any war relics ...and possibly even an Enigma machine...
They gathered what they thought they'd need ...and when they neared the site ..the Coast Guard met them and they were told to leave the area..
My dad was relocated from MacDill AFB to Ramey AFB in Puerto Rico a few weeks later and never returned to the site.
Well...that's the rest of the story

Jim

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What led me to believe my dad's account of the Egmont Key sub's was that he became an accomplished diver while stationed in Puerto Rico.. I remember seeing a pic of him taken in the early 50's ..He and a friend were standing beside 9 bronze cannons they raised off a nearby wreck...He told me that they had raised one of the cannons and cleaned it up ...only to have Puerto Rico take it from them....they claimed to own 90% of anything they recovered....then they got the bright idea to raise 9 more cannons thinking that they would get to keep one of them....Puerto Rico took them too...explaining that they owned 90% of every piece recovered..
I guess when your enlisted in the service you have to play by the rules ?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
German subs didn't have windows. They had screen doors. :laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time... in the elevator of a submarine...

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know...he might have got his sub's mixed up.....
They could have been wayward Japanese sub's that got lost after coming thru the Panama Canal ?
The Bermuda Triangle was really active in the early 50's ...as well as Roswell ...it was a crazy time...
If we ever learn to communicate with Dolphins... I'm sure they'll be able to straighten this out..

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Germans in FL? Sure what is so hard to believe about that? I guess most here forgot about the Black Tom Explosion.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your example Biber class midget submarine did...and it also had less than a 100 nm range and was used in European coastal operations...

And they were launched from larger vessels, correct? So isn't it possible the Germans launched a couple off the gulf coast of Florida on some type of secret mission? As was previously mentioned, the Germans landed saboteurs on Ponte Vedra Beach.

Again, no dog in this fight, just being devil's advocate here. I don't understand dismissing a man's story as a lie when there is no proof either way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread