What's new

2 Real

Stan Milgram

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2012
Messages
75
Reaction score
232
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
T2, AT Pro, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found in a hay field. I had been in the field all day and was ready to leave... and this! :hello2:

I think I'll use the baking soda / aluminum foil cleaning technique unless someone has a better idea. Oh, and don't give me any crap for wanting to clean it. 8-)
 

Attachments

  • obverse red.webp
    obverse red.webp
    69.8 KB · Views: 167
  • reverse red.webp
    reverse red.webp
    65.1 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 50
Awesome find! Aquachigger has a great video on YouTube demonstrating that method! I tried it out on some modern silver before I used it on my older stuff and I've had great luck with it! Is that a 2 reale or a 1 reale? What're its measurements?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-DQbttBUi8c

-Relic Doctor
 
Awesome find! Aquachigger has a great video on YouTube demonstrating that method! I tried it out on some modern silver before I used it on my older stuff and I've had great luck with it! Is that a 2 reale or a 1 reale? What're its measurements?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-DQbttBUi8c

-Relic Doctor

Thanks. Yes, that's the method. I've used it too on modern silver and it worked great.

It's a 2 Real. Bigger than a quarter.
 
Try just some baking soda and water paste between your fingers first. I've had mixed success with the aluminum foil trick. It made a really nice barber dime get blotches where it was clean and unclean. I've always had good success just starting with some baking soda and water and rubbing it between your fingers. Great coin. Congrats. I'm still waiting for my first Spanish silver.
 
That's a beauty, I'd say clean away if that's what you want, it's yours, do as you please
 
NICE find Stan.I'd do a little electrolysis on it.

GOD Bless

Chris
 
Try just some baking soda and water paste between your fingers first. I've had mixed success with the aluminum foil trick. It made a really nice barber dime get blotches where it was clean and unclean. I've always had good success just starting with some baking soda and water and rubbing it between your fingers. Great coin. Congrats. I'm still waiting for my first Spanish silver.

Hey Gheenoe,
That method does get the coin shiny
But, it also scratches the heck out of the coin. It actually removes silver.
Great find, lemon juice soak will lighten the darkness of the coin if your looking for that.
George
 
Now that's a great Spanish silver!
 
Nice find. OK I won't mention that you will ruin that nice coin by cleaning it with the method you described.
 
Nice find. OK I won't mention that you will ruin that nice coin by cleaning it with the method you described.

Nah, the worst it will do is reveal the pitting.
 
Congrats on finding a very nice looking pistareen. It's your coin and do with it as you wish but there is nothing wrong with leaving it like it is. Then again, there is really no monetary value other than the silver so if you want to make it pretty go for it.
 
Live and learn. once you do it aint no going back.
 
beautiful! a 2 real is on my bucket list.

And thanks for not sticking an "e" on the end of "real"!
 
Live and learn. once you do it aint no going back.

Thanks for the advice, but I've lived it and learned it on many coins which came out nice. You should try it. I'll post an after pic when it's done.
 
Awesome dig. Anything in the 1700's is outstanding.
 
That is a beauty ! :occasion14:
 
Nice big 2R coin. Congrats! I've cleaned a number of coins - a silver coin with dark, blotchy toning has no eye appeal. I have no experience with the use of foil, but I've cooked a few coins with electrolysis and had some great results. 45 seconds or so of cook time and all the harsh toning comes off between your fingers using a small amount of mineral oil. It's like magic. Check out the treatment of this Liberty Seated half dime. Toning on the coin was substantial, but the electrolysis did the trick in 45 seconds. Rubbing the coin with baking soda would have worn away too much detail. Best of luck on whatever course you take.

PB170375_01.webp

PB170394.webp
 
The other method that works in just wetting the coin and wrapping it tightly in aluminum foil. It will get warm to the touch as it cleans. Repeat as necessary. Show us the cleaned product and let us know which method you used. Nice find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom