What's new

My first COUNTERFEIT 8 Reales!

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
2,316
Reaction score
3,897
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
Although last month I decided not to return to an old cabin site, yesterday I did for my 18th visit when the V3i displayed a mixed signal and phase. Rewarded with my first 8 Reales amongst 2 rusty nails. Normally silver coins come out of the ground in my area looking good compared to coppers of a similar age. However, the dark areas on this coin, seem to be a combination of the limestone soil that eats into the surface with rust from the nearby nails and maybe some organic material. I've done some cleaning (baking soda, aluminum foil, boiling water...) - but the dark areas are stubborn. Still, it blows my mind to have found this coin, at a site I finished. Just goes to show persistence pays:hello2:
 

Attachments

  • 8 Reales.webp
    8 Reales.webp
    163.1 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 42
Outstanding! Congrats.
leslie, greatly appreciate the congrats! Crazy thing is, I had been over that same spot with the same coil with the same settings at least a dozen times before, but didn't dig until today. Guess 13 was my lucky #...
 
You don’t see silver coins with cracks like that very often. That, and the fact it didn’t clean up like normal silver leads me to believe that your coin might be an old counterfeit. Put it on a scale and compare it to the weight of an 8 reale.
 
GREAT job GREAT POSTING !!!
 
leslie, greatly appreciate the congrats! Crazy thing is, I had been over that same spot with the same coil with the same settings at least a dozen times before, but didn't dig until today. Guess 13 was my lucky #...
It's nuts how that happens sometimes! It has alot of character and will look good in a display. I certainly look at it and wonder how it ended up in the condition its in. Maybe some desperados blew up a safe with nitroglycerin (which was a thing) and the coin got blasted to kingdom come until you found it. If you want to clean it passively I would recommend simple toothpaste, the kind for whitening teeth, the same whitening action can also clean stubborn stains off silver too, just put some on the coin with a tiny bit of soap and water and just rub it between your fingers. Good luck! :D
 
You don’t see silver coins with cracks like that very often. That, and the fact it didn’t clean up like normal silver leads me to believe that your coin might be an old counterfeit. Put it on a scale and compare it to the weight of an 8 reale.
The ping test would be simple too, especially for such a big coin, just balance it on your finger and tap it with a piece of metal, if it rings like a high pitched bell, it's silver.
 
You don’t see silver coins with cracks like that very often. That, and the fact it didn’t clean up like normal silver leads me to believe that your coin might be an old counterfeit. Put it on a scale and compare it to the weight of an 8 reale.
ToddsPoint, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out asap and post my results - just hope my wife's cooking scale is accurate enough. What may not be apparent from the composite picture are a pair of dents that look like they were made w/ a ball peen hammer. One on the upper left of the crack in the left pic and the other to the right of the crack along the rim in the pic on the right. The crack may have resulted from these. As far as cleaning, I've only tried the most basic methods - and avoided silver cleaners, etc. There is a coin shop in the next town and I'll get their opinion. Even if it is counterfeit, I plan to get a holder and put it on display.
 
Last edited:
The ping test would be simple too, especially for such a big coin, just balance it on your finger and tap it with a piece of metal, if it rings like a high pitched bell, it's silver.
UnderMiner, I'll give that a try to. I know that once I got it away from all the nails the V3i gave it a high VDI & sharp phase plot. That said, what type(s) of metal were counterfeit 8 Reales minted from?
 
Great find, congrats!
Bamasteve, thanks. While I hope its the real(e) deal, even a counterfeit has a story to tell. Given that I found 15 LCs, a 2 Reale, dozens of pottery sherds, tools, horse shoes, etc; the earliest European families who lived there - left in a big hurry. Makes me wonder if the cabin burned down and they were lucky to get out with their clothes.
 
UnderMiner, I'll give that a try to. I know that once I got it away from all the nails the V3i gave it a high VDI & sharp phase plot. That said, what type(s) of metal were counterfeit 8 Reales minted from?
Usually lead, tin or like a pewter alloy. It's not zinc, I can tell you that. Sometimes the high quality counterfeits were made of a bronze alloy called German Silver, very similar looking to the real stuff, silver in color through and through, but would fail the ping test and nitric acid on it would turn deep green.
 
The coin shop said it is old counterfeit as the x-ray shows 64% silver and 36% copper. Curious, I purchased/downloaded a research paper from on-line, that shows comparing seven 8 Reales coins in question to a pair of authentic coins, some copper was used. However, there was nothing to indicate anything as high as 36%. While the weight is close (27 vs. 27.07 grams), the ping of a silver dollar was noticeably higher.

Although counterfeit, with 64% silver it still had value, so wonder if the original owner knew/concerned about it being counterfeit. Who knows. Be that as it may, it is still a cool find, with a story all its own to tell. Think I'll go back and check the 2 Reales found at the same site about 10 feet away. It is in much better condition and isn't cracked - so hope its the real deal...
 
The counterfeiter knew it but after it´s passed to the next person maybe not, especially if the weight is close and it ¨sounds right¨.
Great find for sure!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom