What's new

My first COUNTERFEIT 8 Reales!

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
3,906
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
Although last month I decided not to return to an old cabin site, yesterday I did for my 18th visit when the V3i displayed a mixed signal and phase. Rewarded with my first 8 Reales amongst 2 rusty nails. Normally silver coins come out of the ground in my area looking good compared to coppers of a similar age. However, the dark areas on this coin, seem to be a combination of the limestone soil that eats into the surface with rust from the nearby nails and maybe some organic material. I've done some cleaning (baking soda, aluminum foil, boiling water...) - but the dark areas are stubborn. Still, it blows my mind to have found this coin, at a site I finished. Just goes to show persistence pays:hello2:
 

Attachments

  • 8 Reales.webp
    8 Reales.webp
    163.1 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 42
The counterfeiter knew it but after it´s passed to the next person maybe not, especially if the weight is close and it ¨sounds right¨.
Great find for sure!
Gene Mean, who knows, maybe it was play money for the kids...
 
russau thanks, I'm with you. Typically I donate most good finds to the local historical society in educational display cases. Despite the interesting story behind this one - its going to be hard to let go. Still, if I do donate it & it's story then others will learn and I'm assured it won't be tossed or sold on eBay after I'm gone...
 
Interesting and rare find
Congrats
 
Welcome to the "Counterfeit 8 Club"!!! Congrats to you on your find. I dug one back in 2007 when I first joined Tnet. I was told that the counterfeits were rarer than the real thing. Here is my post from 2007, and a lot of replies from some old timer Tnet folks like myself.


Great find!
-MM-
 
The ping test would be simple too, especially for such a big coin, just balance it on your finger and tap it with a piece of metal, if it rings like a high pitched bell, it's silver.
I did this ping test with the 1862 8-Reale coin our team found and what a beautiful high-pitched bell sound she rang!!
 
Welcome to the "Counterfeit 8 Club"!!! Congrats to you on your find. I dug one back in 2007 when I first joined Tnet. I was told that the counterfeits were rarer than the real thing. Here is my post from 2007, and a lot of replies from some old timer Tnet folks like myself.


Great find!
-MM-
MM, thank and very, very cool thread from the past about yours!
 
I did this ping test with the 1862 8-Reale coin our team found and what a beautiful high-pitched bell sound she rang!!
Michael Karpovage, that is a sweet sound!
 
Update, I went to a different coin shop who declared it authentic - but said I should send to a grading house to confirm. Came home, thought about the lack of the high silver ring, and looked on-line for other ways to distinguish authentic from counterfeit of which the pattern on the edge is one. Authentic 8 Reales have alternating circles and rectangles (top pic). While the edge on mine is in bad condition, there is one area the pattern is still visible - and it does not appear authentic. Conclusion: That + some of the things mentioned above = counterfeit.
 

Attachments

  • 8 Reale edge comparison.webp
    8 Reale edge comparison.webp
    120.9 KB · Views: 65
Although last month I decided not to return to an old cabin site, yesterday I did for my 18th visit when the V3i displayed a mixed signal and phase. Rewarded with my first 8 Reales amongst 2 rusty nails. Normally silver coins come out of the ground in my area looking good compared to coppers of a similar age. However, the dark areas on this coin, seem to be a combination of the limestone soil that eats into the surface with rust from the nearby nails and maybe some organic material. I've done some cleaning (baking soda, aluminum foil, boiling water...) - but the dark areas are stubborn. Still, it blows my mind to have found this coin, at a site I finished. Just goes to show persistence pays:hello2:
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
 
Either way , it's a great find ! :coffee2:
russau, I totally agree. When I donate it to the local historical society in an educational display case, I'll try to imagine if the owner ever knew it was counterfeit and if so what they thought when they found out. Interesting that the 2R I found about 10 feet away is authentic.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom