Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I spent some time at Virginia Beach while we were on our anniversary trip. We had spent 3 days in Williamsburg where we spent our honeymoon so she said the beach was all mine and I could detect all I wanted. Now I?m a diehard and would detect 24/7 if I could, but I?m also 71 years old so I do need some sleep and the daytime temps on the beach were in the mid 90?s which is a little hard on the old man. I did get in morning and evening hunts for 2 days and only a morning hunt on the last day because we had a long drive home.

If you are not familiar with Virginia Beach it is decently wide from boardwalk to ocean and it is really long (88 city blocks if my calculations are correct). That is a lot of beach. They use a pull behind beach groomer every morning starting about 4 am and do about half the beach width by the ocean and one pass along the boardwalk. I did see a few other detectorists, but not a lot at this time. Because the detecting is hit or miss on such a large area the finds naturally are the same. I tried to be systematic and not cover the same spots twice even though there were a lot of people on the beach who could have dropped new finds every day. I did sections of the wet sand, the mother line, the entries from the boardwalk, along the edge of the boardwalk and sections in between. In my 2 1/2 days I spent 21 hours and worked parts of a 16 block area of the dry and wet sand. The water was not rough and was low enough a decent distance out so I could take the CZ for a swim, but I didn?t feel like dealing with my water gear and hauling the wet stuff home. The guys who were doing the water were not having a lot of luck either. Alcohol is allowed on the beach so beer caps and wine bottle aluminum twist off caps were plentiful as well as tabs, aluminum foil freshness seals and the ever present pop tabs. People used all kinds of shade devices and lost a good number of tent pegs in the process. (They are real easy to lose in the sand and the scouts can always use new ones for their personal tents because they are good at losing them too.) These days vaping devices are also frequent finds.

6B3B7997-CBAE-4F0B-9D57-061C007DE79D.jpeg

My first find was weird and I didn?t use my detector. When we got to our room and we?re unloading our luggage into the room I looked down and found a gold ring beside the bed. Now it is only gold colored and it is a kiddie ring, but I had to laugh at the unlikely find in our room before I could even break out the detector.

All together I found 454 coins with a face value of $39.30, cheapie jewelry including earrings, a bullet on a cord, and a junk bracelet. A pair of glasses and 2 pairs of sunglasses that were salvageable, 5 toy vehicles were harvested as well. The next picture show a stainless spoon and fork, the only 2 sinkers I found, a key, a jewelers screw driver, a tiny spoon, 2 fashion zipper pulls, a squashed penny and 2 pieces of vaping devices.

97D0C43B-6C00-4ADA-8029-83951D51A86F.jpeg 13EE80A3-0DF9-476E-9871-893502484ABC.jpeg 6F467AB2-167C-4A4D-BAE5-8086E7363230.jpeg BC2F5EA9-05E2-4E1F-918B-04494E1794C9.jpeg 7EA45260-BE11-4710-9A02-38CD1F96104E.jpeg

Of the 5 rings I found 2 were silver and looked like they might have real diamonds in them, but alas they were all czs. There is also a chunky silver earring that is hollow and range up as a mid tone instead of the usual high tone silver produces. The rings are a weird coincidence, they are both large and are the exact same size. They look like a wedding set, but they were found 8 blocks apart. When I found the first one with the big stone I put it on my hand under my glove. When people asked if I ever found anything good (a lot of people don?t think we find anything worth taking home for some reason) I would take off my glove and show them the ring I just found. I was sure it was probably a big CZ, but I didn?t tell them that. After all I have found a good number of nice diamond rings, just not this time.

75363D4B-8841-4AED-976A-FF75AE7E954E.jpeg 20BCAA94-A84A-4CDF-995F-3BA6EF187211.jpeg

The spoon appears to be brass and has a crown on the handle. I found it on line labeled as a snuff spoon. It is a modern one that was ona key chain as a decoration. The elongated penny (squashed) is from the Virginia Aquarium located nearby. A nice surprise was the Kennedy bicentennial half dollar. They don?t show up too often, it was a recent loss and looks great.

D05F1805-47B7-4A92-8E5B-A667CE1A946E.jpeg 91915BAE-7BEC-445A-AFED-1B8071BF5DFE.jpeg

I took a picture of about 3 hours worth of junky target that I threw in the trash barrels as I hunted just to give you an idea of how much and what kinds of stuff the beach gave up while searching for treasures with my CZ21. Foil, bottle caps, an umbrella topper, tent pegs, foil seals from Gatorade, wine bottle foil, aluminum caps, zippers, aluminum pop rivets and the second picture is of all the tabs from the 2 1/2 days. It is a nice pile of tabs, but some days I find that many in 5 hours in some of the local parks.

4DDF4DE4-B4D9-4B0C-A482-E9BCD75283C7.jpeg AB780ACA-FF8D-4BA5-8A30-BFFEABEE8C32.jpeg

So a lot of swingin in the heat produced a wonderful pile of clad, 3 silvers, a Kennedy half and a nice pile or other interesting stuff. I left the beach a lot cleaner than I found it because I dug nail apron pockets full of trash. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 15

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're 71? I'm 67 and couldn't keep up with you on a good day. It seems no matter where you hunt, you bring home the goods. Gary

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the finds:) We go to VB every chance we get,love that place :) .Using your 1st pix. of the beach and(the pier as a reference point). Looks like it was taken around 33rd street ,this building here:) 848.JPG

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, Virginia Beach. Lost an Omega Eatch by the pier while diving into the water. That was 1969. Didn't start detecting until 1970. It was a beep and dig machine that would never have worked on the salt water. Congratulations on your finds.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt great post....congrats on all the rings and bling!! Always wanted to hunt there but never stay long enough to hunt it. We pass through on boats !!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the finds:) We go to VB every chance we get,love that place :) .Using your 1st pix. of the beach and(the pier as a reference point). Looks like it was taken around 33rd street ,this building here:) View attachment 1942639

Thanks. Actually 21st street. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're 71? I'm 67 and couldn't keep up with you on a good day. It seems no matter where you hunt, you bring home the goods. Gary

As always you are very kind Gary. I do try and keep in shape and I do have my share of good luck. Thanks, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread