What's new

2 whatzitz

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
2,356
Reaction score
405
Golden Thread
0
I found these in a creek. the little cone looks to be brass/copper, with a tin tip? it had a wooden shaft, and some kind of metal(?) pin inside it, with a hole in it's tip.


The glass thingy is neat. It must have fit into something precisely, it isn't cut symmetrically. the triangle edges are very smooth, while the other surfaces are frosted feeling. It's a cool little thing. Maybe it was part of a window pane?

Any ideas about what they are?

thanks for looking-
 

Attachments

  • 2whatzitz.webp
    2whatzitz.webp
    75.1 KB · Views: 356
  • 2whatzitz.jpg1.webp
    2whatzitz.jpg1.webp
    75.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 2whatzitz.jpg2.webp
    2whatzitz.jpg2.webp
    72 KB · Views: 362
Wonder if the tip could be off of an small parade flag? Pretty little piece of brass!
 
Upvote 0
The glass piece looks like a prism for a set of binoculars :dontknow: :dontknow:


Tim
 
Upvote 0
Hey ng. A couple of interesting finds. I wonder if the cone shaped piece could of been part of an old wooden fishing bobber or some type of metal/wood scribe? Maybe that faceted glass piece is from some type of old lighting fixture? Many creeks have been used as dump sites for years and a person can usually come away with an eclectic variety of items that cover a broad timespan... Curious pieces for sure.
 
Upvote 0
The metal cone piece seems to me to be the tip of a mechanical pencil.
The knurls would be to grip and remove it to clear broken lead.

Steve
 
Upvote 0
Got_4by4 said:
The metal cone piece seems to me to be the tip of a mechanical pencil.
The knurls would be to grip and remove it to clear broken lead.

Steve

Absolutely. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
The piece of glass is a porro prism I think, from binoculars. I found a few pictures that look very much like it. Still not sure about the cone thingy. It is almost 1/2 wide, that seems fat for a pencil, but maybe it was large for a particular operation. could still be a wooden bobber or a decorative piece for something. I'm going to try to get a better look at whatever is in the center. It is too large for the small opening in the tip, the very thin brass covering would work for a pencil I suppose. Thanks for giving me a direction to look, I was sure you guys would know. :icon_thumleft:

naturegirl
 
Upvote 0
Cone thing looks more like a plumb but not exactly. I'm between plumb and pencil, I guess. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
The pointy thing could be the tip off a tube of some kind of lube or medicine ? I agree on the prism. Monty
 
Upvote 0
:hello: Hi monty! A binoncular prism in a creek, that's why I like creeks, full of surprises. And I wondered about a plumb too kypote, but I don't know. I'll give the prism a green check, and here's one more pic of the oinside of the wooden shaft. In real life, it looks kinda like some wire twisted together, maybe a screw? dunno, but thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • 011.webp
    011.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom