20 boxes of halves. ZERO silver

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
yes that is right. Over the past 4 weeks I took a break from pennies (Still did some, but not 100% of what I was doing). I ordered 5 boxes of halves for 4 weeks in a row. A total of 20 boxes. And in 20 boxes, I found

0 - Bens
0 - 90%
0 - 40%

No silver. AGAIN.

I DID find numerous NIFC coins, inlcuding FINALLY a 1987D, my first of the year. I also found 2 prrofs. A 1982S and a VERY nice 1976S with a great mirrored look. SO I have a few keepers. But no silver.

That means after 35 boxes this year, I have been SKUNKED on 32 of them.

I decided to give it one last try, which is what this month was. But, I'm sticking with pennies. They may not be worth as much, but I"m close to 1,000 wheats for the year, and have 45,000 coppers for the year. Much more productive than halves.

I have gotten some silver halves this year by tellers holding coins for me. They sell me the loose halves they get, and someone has been giving some 40%s to Starbucks. They bring them to the bank in their deposit, and they are held for me. So that gives me a few silvers, but not from ordered boxes.

They will be glad that I shall not order halves anyway. So will my dump bank. They have 4 bags in their machine for pennies (In part because of me) and only one for halves At times I fill it trwice in one dump.

I continue to wish all you half searchers great success. It isn't me, but it's good to see SOMEONE finding them (I"m not the jealous type, but feel good for your success.) I'm back to mostly pennies though, and at least finding keepers.

Upvote 0
Maybe too many people read that one article a few months back and ganked all the silver from circulation.

This disturbing trend has been coming up again and again, fewer posts. fewer finds.
The finds I have had have not even been worth posting about.

it seems the silver era is coming to a close sadly. And there is nothing we can do about it.

All that attention and searching has paid off for some, and started the end of an era for the rest.

The trend to lower silver was long before the article. I had pretty bad boxes the second half of last year too, and the article came out only at the end of the year. Plus, I bet more people started doing CRh from this site than the aritcle. This is where I started searching coins. From this site right here, and all the good finds I read about. So, if hte article had to do with it in any way, then this site did too.

But, I think it mostly is the fact that silver has exploded in price, and people started searching for it a lot harder. Some spots, like here and the W&E T article, helped add to the numbers, but I said way back last December that the trend showed that the easy stuff was gone and it would get hard in the near future.

That's why I am working pennies right now. I think it TOO will get hard. But not for another two or three years. When someone like Jackson metals works pennies, like tey did Halve, then it will change dramatically in a short period of time too. But I'm hopig I am far enough ahead of the curve that I can get a few tons BEFORE the rush goes form halves to pennis. After all, I think some peopel HERE will decide to stop halves if they keep getting skunks, and yet the urge to search contniues, so they will start doing pennies too. Yes, I see pennis getting tough too, but right nw the levels are so high and so godo that it will take a few years to happen. :-)

Oh, and speaking of Jackson, I think that too HAD to have an effect on what we are seeing now. They did a LOT of recovery work, and took a lot of the boxes we were hoping to get to. And I bet others did the same thing, again based on the surge in silver price.

So it is a lot of things that brought us to where we are today. But, I"ll play with pennies, get my loose halves when i can, and do some nickels form time to time. That will keep me busy, and enough wheats will make me feel good too.

Enjoy your week. I hope you have some good success.

Damn the bad luck!
Speaking of pennies, I got 16 skunks in one day - not new pennies, just no copper or wheat.
They are getting worked over and like you said - copper will be as rare as silver in our coins before long.

JRF,

Just curious what brand of boxes/rolls have you been buying? I have had the best overall luck with Brinks. Lately I have started getting Dunbar boxes at a new bank and they have been great some of the time.

Just got String and sons (yellow wrappers) boxes today and all skunks. I happened upon a new bank for me that had them in stock and they offered them to me. I remember seeing pictures on here a while back where somebody had similar wrappers with Walkers showing on the ends. I thought maybe I would have some luck with them.

I guess the "brand" may not matter so much as it is luck of the draw?

Hope you have better luck down the road!

Jim

I have no idea as to the brand. I get them at Wells Fargo and Chase (Both). They come in the same box. It is a 2 layer square box with no holes in it (I'ves een those at times, but not mine). It has white wrappers with black stripes at the edges where it is tucked under. Says "$10.00 halves" on each roll. 5X5 on each layer, and two layers.

Is that Brinks?

It probably differs by geographic area, but here all the Brinks rolls have "Brinks" printed on each roll. Usually a brown color print, ranging from light brown to dark brown. The boxes vary from the square type boxes of 5x5 rolls, stacked 2 deep, to long flat boxes (I don't remember the exact configuration). Also seen square boxes with yellow stripes and writing with the brown Brinks rolls inside. I guess Brinks uses boxes from differnet vendors but the rolls all come from the same location?

I have noticed that in my area it seems 90% of the banks I inquire at for halves use Brinks. I rarely see a Loomis truck anymore. I guess Brinks is the main game in town. One bank uses Dunbar, so I will see over time how they turn out.

Jim

Bummer JRF, sorry to hear about all those skunk boxes .. damn that is some really bad luck... oh well may you hammer the hell out of those wheaties , HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back