What's new

20 rolls of dimes

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1,930
Reaction score
811
Golden Thread
0
Location
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up 20 rolls of machine rolled dimes(paper wrappers) while doing some other banking. 1st roll produced a 1961. Then about 15 rolls later saw a blackened rim and pulled out a 1918 Merc. HH-MM2
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3577.webp
    DSCN3577.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 391
Upvote 0
Someone fill me in: Do I see a "W" as a mintmark? Is that Westpoint? If so, I don't see it in the "red book." Wow.

apush :read2:
 
apush said:
Someone fill me in: Do I see a "W" as a mintmark? Is that Westpoint? If so, I don't see it in the "red book." Wow.

apush :read2:
Apush, the W is the monogram for the designer, Adolph Weinman.
The monogram is actually "AW"

Great find Mountainman, hard to get those early winged silvers.
 
Mountainman!
Excellent score! Congratulations.

Apush,
The Merc's mint-mark is found on the reverse of the coin. The W stands for "Adolph Alexander Weinman" the designer of the Mercury head dime.
The Coin Facts website states that the reverse has a Roman fasces (ax surrounded by a tied bundle of sticks) and olive branch. These symbols represent America's military readiness but also their desire for peace.
Best wishes,
Steve
 
Nice score, especially for being out of only 20 rolls!!
 
apush said:
Someone fill me in: Do I see a "W" as a mintmark? Is that Westpoint? If so, I don't see it in the "red book." Wow.

apush :read2:

The only Westpoint mint dime I am aware of is 1996.
 
Dimes seem to be as hot as the weather lately. Picked up another 20 rolls at another branch today and found 4 more silver Rosies. Thanks and HH-MM2
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom