maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It's kinda your personal preference, I did at first, but them realized they really didn't command a premium over face value and just let them all go back into the wild, I kept what I needed to make a full set and that was it. I seem to get all I want in my boxes now, lol. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
just went through another $500...NOTHING. That makes 7 boxes in a row with nothing in them...UGHH. I also upped my order to $4000 a week. Sure hope I find SOMETHING soon. Other than silver I have been keeping the 2002-2012 and a few nice 1982, 1983s and 85s-88s...

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is something thats been debated several times just in my 3+ years on this forum. Have a look at some of the old threads and you'll get some good arguments on both sides of the debate.

The truth is that we don't know if NIFCs will increase in value over time. I say no, or at least not soon enough to make it worthwhile. I look at the 1987 half as an example. It was NIFC just like the 2002-2013 are. That coin is now 26 years old, and there is still no real demand out there for it. Sure, you occasionally hear about someone selling one for a profit or a coin shop that pays a small premium for them, but these instances are pretty rare. I've seen many more instances of people saying that their coin shop didn't want their NIFC halves and/or they were unable to sell them for a profit.

Value comes straight from supply and demand. The mintages (supply) are indeed low (not SUPER low, but pretty dang low) for the NIFCs. But right now, so is demand. Could that change? Absolutely! But I'm betting that if NIFCs become "worth keeping", its so far down the road (50 years+) that there are better things I can do with my cash in the meantime. Had I kept all I've found (and I'm not a high volume hunter), I'd have well over $1000 tied up in these things. For such a low mintage, there sure seem to be a bunch of them floating around out there. Also, I believe that if this "down the road" scenario does happen, collectors will want MS-65+ NIFCs as these coins were only issued in mint sets and collector rolls if I'm not mistaken. The "impaired" examples that we generally find likely won't cut it IMO.

Bottom line is that if you like them and/or think they'll increase in value in the future, by all means keep them. Its your money and your collection. Do it your way!

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I turn over rolls at a slower rate than most I read about here. I try to keep a few of the lower mintages. I just keep upgrading those coins and and recycling until I'm content. I figure if I'm going to keep hunting halves-I should have at least one full set anyway. Low budget here-but for say a 1987-- I will keep 4-5 and keep upgrading until they are in the most uncirculated condition I can aquire.
My low budget attempt at modern coin collecting-from circulaion in conjunction with searching for silver & older coins.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree wholeheartedly with Arkie. If you are collecting them for yourself, then have at it. If you are collecting them for a profit in the future for your great grandkids, then have at it too. But, if you are collecting them for you to make a profit on them in the next year or two, you are just wasting your time and stack and should throw them back tot he wild so you can get more.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Im going to save them for my kids/grandkids...so I will keep the BU 2002+ Thanks all for your inputs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread