🏆 HONORABLE MENTION 2008 NYG S. BOWL RING DUG ON MYRTLE BEACH -RETURNED! PLAYER REVEALED! NEW PICS !

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. , Expl.II & Excalibur

My father passed away on June 5th, 2008. He was almost 83 years old. He and my mother raised 12 children. I am the 3rd oldest of the 12 children. My name is Stevie White. We live in a little town in Southern West Virginia called Fayetteville. Fayetteville is known for its New River Gorge Bridge, which is the longest steel arch bridge in the Western Hemisphere. It is closed each year for Bridge Day so parachute jumpers can jump off of it. It is 876 feet above the New River.
Our family was terribly stunned by our fathers death. My mother and father were together nearly 65 years. My mother and older sister seemed to be grieving the most. I thought it would be a good idea to take them away from home for awhile to a more relaxing environment. I thought a trip to the beach would be a nice place to relax and help them to cope with our fathers passing.
We decided on Myrtle Beach, S.C. for the trip. I’m an avid treasure hunter, so I packed the Minelab Sovereign and a homemade sand scoop. The weather was beautiful so I hunted the beach every day. Some days I would hunt 15 hours without stopping. I found many coins, rings, earrings, and even a cell phone. The Sovereign proved to be an awesome beach detector. I have been using the Sovereign for about 7 years.
After seven days of beach hunting, the trip was winding down. I was still trying to get every minute of detecting in that I could. On June 29th, I was hunting on my last evening. I had found three silver rings but no gold rings. As I detected, I was talking to my deceased father, whom I deeply miss. I told him “ The next ring is for you Pa”. At that very instant, I hit a target. I dug down 3 inches and pulled up a very large mens ring. My first thought was that I had found the ring of a Roman Emperor. I cleaned the sand off the ring, and on the side it read “ Eleven Straight On The Road.” It was engraved so nicely, I figured it was too modern for a Roman ring. I saw a name on the other side of it, but still did not know what kind of ring it was. I knew it was an expensive ring since the top of it was covered in diamonds. I put it in my pocket and started to search again where I had found the ring. I stayed at this location for two additional hours and searched every square foot of this area. I figured someone would come out and say that they had lost a ring. I would have returned it to them if they could have identified it properly. No one showed up, so I started to head toward our hotel. As I was walking, I took the ring out and cleaned it again. I noticed the ring had an NFL logo on the side with the words “Super Bowl”. I was astounded that I had found some type of Superbowl ring. As I continued walking, several college students from Va. Tech stopped me on the beach and asked me if I was having any luck. I replied “ You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.” They said “ Lets see what ya got” . I showed them the Superbowl ring and they were amazed. They informed me that it was this years Superbowl ring. They said “You are the luckiest man we’ve ever seen.”
I immediately called my brother John who lives in Charlotte, N.C. I told him “You will never believe what I found on the beach with my Sovereign metal detector. He replied “The Titanic ?” I laughed and told him I had found a Superbowl ring from this years Superbowl. He immediately went online and looked up Superbowl Ring. He asked me to explain what it looked like. I told him it was covered with diamonds on top and had the NY Giants logo on it. I told him it had three trophy’s on it with three large football-shaped diamonds. It had “World Champions” on the top and a date of 2/3/08 on the side with Superbowl XLII on it. He asked me what was engraved inside the band. I told him it said “Tiffany & Co.” He replied “You’ve got the real thing.” I was ecstatic. I hurried to our hotel room excited to tell my mother and sister what I had found. When I came in the room, my mother asked me if I had found anything today. I told my mother and sister to sit on the bed because I had found something unbelievable while detecting. When I told them I had found a Superbowl ring, they were absolutely amazed and could not take their eyes off the ring.
After further research, we determined that the rings value was in the $25,000 range. The ring has 67 small diamonds and 3 larger diamonds on the top of it. It weighs nearly 2.5 ounces and is 18 Kt white gold. A committee of NY Giants assisted in the design of the ring. Eli Manning and Michael Strahan were among the members of the committee. Michael Strahan, a NY Giants standout, indicated that he wanted the ring to be a 10 table ring - A ring that could be seen from 10 tables away. The ring is extremely large, as you will see in the pictures. We have been offered $10,000 cash for the ring to date, but I could not sell this players ring. I feel the Lord and my Pa would want me to return the ring to its owner. We contacted the NY Giants to arrange getting the ring back to its original owner. The ring was returned to it’s owner, in person, on October 4, 2008. The rookie player was thrilled to get his Super Bowl ring back. He would not disclose how he lost the ring on the beach. The only reward I got was the thrill of seeing him get his ring back. If I lost a Superbowl ring, I would hope that someone would return it back to me.

Note: The players name on the Superbowl ring was kept confidential for several reasons.

PS: Keep Your Loops Swinging My TH Friends - Dream Treasures Really Are Found !!!! Believe Me!!

UPDATED 11/10/2010 It has been nearly 2 & 1/2 years since the Super Bowl Ring was found and I think it is time to release the name of the player who lost the ring. Many people think I should release the name and I think it is only fair to everyone to see who lost the ring. Many people have guessed but strangely enough, noone has guessed it correctly. The players name is Darren Barnett, Number 41, as shown on the new pictures. Still haven't heard from him or any NYG staff. Well, I have really enjoyed everyones comments and opinions. Still can't believe it didn't make the banner. Oh well, Maybe I will find a hoard or something. Had a good summer with 40+ gold rings and 60 or so silver, titanium, and tungsten rings. Ran into several people at the beach who read this story on here and that was really cool. Hope to see more of you guys & gals hunting in the field. Can't wait until summer gets here, but hunkering down for winter. I try to answer all comments that are made on here. I will try and post a still pic of me giving him his ring back, when I figure out how to convert video into stills. It has been fun. Keep Your Loops Swinging & Good Luck To ALL and God Bless ALL!

Stevie White
Minelab Sovereign
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab Excalibur
Homebrew Whites Surfmaster​

Attachments

• 100_0281-retouched1-&-sized.jpg
    100_0281-retouched1-&-sized.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 5,767
  • ring-front-XLII-side-(1)-retouched-&-sized.jpg
    ring-front-XLII-side-(1)-retouched-&-sized.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 5,689
  • SMALL-SB-RING-retouched-&-sized.jpg
    SMALL-SB-RING-retouched-&-sized.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 5,642
  • sb-ring1-retouched-&-resized.jpg
    sb-ring1-retouched-&-resized.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 5,634
  • sb-ring-3-retouched-&-resized.jpg
    sb-ring-3-retouched-&-resized.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 5,585
  • Copy of ring-XLII-side-retouched-&-sized 1.jpg
    Copy of ring-XLII-side-retouched-&-sized 1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 3,441
  • Steve White17.jpg
    Steve White17.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3,426
  • ring-Barnett side resized.JPG
    ring-Barnett side resized.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,095
  • New Pic SB Ring.JPG
    New Pic SB Ring.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 2,065
  • 102-0287R_IMG.JPG
    102-0287R_IMG.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 1,437

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2
Re: 2008 SUPER BOWL RING FOUND ON MYRTLE BEACH BY WV TREASURE HUNTER

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD......WTG :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: NOW THATS A FIND. :o

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 2008 NYG SUPER BOWL RING FOUND ON MYRTLE BEACH BY WV TREASURE HUNTER

Ditto the above post. Unbelievable, and you did do the right thing by returning it. Your reward awaits you in heaven.

fccdfed

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

W :o W!!!!!!!!

Ban-ner!!!!! :thumbsup:

Bran <><

Collymore

Nov 11, 2008

The football player is entitled to give you 10% of the rings value according to the laws in my country.

Is it different in the USA?

FANTASTIC FIND I nominated it for banner!

This will hit CNN Im sure!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Since I'm originally from Wash DC, and the Redskins can't seem to even come close to winning a game against the Giants, I would have made a simple deal with the Giants player. Throw the game! Kidding, would have been nice if he had offered you tickets. But you got a real lot of Karmic Brownie Points for that find. Banner Baby!

JT in Virginia

Aug 16, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Thats an amazing ring. That player was very lucky to get it back.

Great story and great pics.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WHAT A STAND UP GUY! I AM DULY IMPRESSED TO SEE YOU GIVE IT BACK!!!!!!!

That must have been hard to do even though it was the right thing to do. What a ring!

I am not sure if I could have just handed it over like you did. The karma gods are still trying to figure out how to repay you for this one!

GREAT JOB! Your actions shed such a positive light on all of us here at T-Net I think I am now speechless.

Bob

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

Nothing much to add other than what everyone said. You know in your heart you did the right thing and that is what is most important. It is a shame though that some people weren't taught how to treat people properly. Nothing like returning a lost item and not being appreciated or rewarded. I have returned items to people that I have found and been accused of taking them etc. It just isn't right.

But you did a GREAT thing!!! Thank you from one detectorist to another.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

One For Your Pa......Just lost mine a week before Thanksgiving,he would have been proud of Ya :thumbsup:

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000

You did your pa proud !

Maybe the Rookie couldnt afford to reward you.......probably barely grossed a Mil. this season.

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE

Really nice post. WTG on returning that ring.
JDD

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Being an Eagles fan myself I would have thrown it back into the ocean! lol just kidding....I commend you for doing the right thing!

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

plehbah said:
No reward?

Was one offered and you turned it down?

Not even a nice dinner?

[No Reward was offered. The player was a nice friendly person, but no tickets or dinner. It was a real treat to find the ring and return it. I believe everyone in WV had the ring on, taking pictures etc. I took it to work and showed it to all my friends. I had never seen a Super Bowl ring before. Always wandered what they looked like. So many good deeds are done by many TH'ers. Thats why we are a special group.]

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Collymore said:
The football player is entitled to give you 10% of the rings value according to the laws in my country.

Is it different in the USA?

FANTASTIC FIND I nominated it for banner!

This will hit CNN Im sure!
Thanks for comments, my TH friend. The law here in WV is a little different. If the person can prove it is their property, they can claim it. They must, however, come and get it, or pay all expenses to have it returned to them. Thanks for banner!

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

JT in Virginia said:
Thats an amazing ring. That player was very lucky to get it back.

Great story and great pics.
Thanks, my friend.

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

RJGMC said:
WHAT A STAND UP GUY! I AM DULY IMPRESSED TO SEE YOU GIVE IT BACK!!!!!!!

That must have been hard to do even though it was the right thing to do. What a ring!

I am not sure if I could have just handed it over like you did. The karma gods are still trying to figure out how to repay you for this one!

GREAT JOB! Your actions shed such a positive light on all of us here at T-Net I think I am now speechless.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I know THE LORD and MY PA are smiling at my decision to return it. Wanted to share it with the T-Net group, a great bunch of people.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic thing you did. I will say this, your mom and dad raised one fine son.

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

mastereagle22 said:
Nothing much to add other than what everyone said. You know in your heart you did the right thing and that is what is most important. It is a shame though that some people weren't taught how to treat people properly. Nothing like returning a lost item and not being appreciated or rewarded. I have returned items to people that I have found and been accused of taking them etc. It just isn't right.

But you did a GREAT thing!!! Thank you from one detectorist to another.
ThanK You, my friend. I know what you mean. Just a nice gesture would do miricles for us. What are people thinking. When someone does me a favor, I try to reward them with 2 favors, at least. Just keep doing what is right, and I promise you, everything will be fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread