2022 Starts with a Bang

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This week's half dollar box is the best one I've found in 4+ years of CRHing.

To put it in perspective, I found more 90% silver halves today than I found in all of 2021, to wit ....

17 Franklins
5 1964 Kennedys
2 40% Kennedys

and, for good measure, 1 impaired proof and 4 2021P (which I'm sending back with the dumps).

When it rains, it pours and today, it's a monsoon.

I hope this is a harbinger of good things for everyone in 2022.

Attachments

• 5-jan-2022 halves.jpg
    5-jan-2022 halves.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 81
Upvote 11

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! My bank doesn't have half-dollar rolls to search. Do you get yours from a bank or? I hope that's a fair question. If you'd rather not divulge where you get the rolls I understand.

OP
OP
B

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! My bank doesn't have half-dollar rolls to search. Do you get yours from a bank or? I hope that's a fair question. If you'd rather not divulge where you get the rolls I understand.
Each week, my bank orders a box of halves for me from Loomis who, apparently, doesn't poach the silver as some posters have suggested.

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Each week, my bank orders a box of halves for me from Loomis who, apparently, doesn't poach the silver as some posters have suggested.
Thanks for the information! I never thought of that. I'll check into it at my bank
Thanks again

Hinterlander

Dec 28, 2016
AZ
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! My first box was a dud, 9 gold plated halves and 5 NIFCs was all I could come up with. Hopefully tomorrow's box treats me better.

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank hasn't been able to get halves for four weeks. They can't even get pennies, nickels , dime or quarters. I hope their not lying to me. They claim there is a shortage of coins. I've heard this a couple of times during the past year. I hate it as this helps keep me busy especially during the winter.

OP
OP
B

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My bank hasn't been able to get halves for four weeks. They can't even get pennies, nickels , dime or quarters. I hope their not lying to me. They claim there is a shortage of coins. I've heard this a couple of times during the past year. I hate it as this helps keep me busy especially during the winter.
This 'coin shortage' rhetoric has long since run its course -- especially for half dollars which do not circulate and haven't circulated for a long, long time.

I worked in a little mom & pop shop in the late sixties and, even then, we saw hardly any half dollar activity.

Check out the mintage figures for clad Kennedy halves. Where are they? Not in circulation. Not 'worn out'. No -- they're sitting in bags and boxes at the Federal Reserve or third party bundlers like Loomis and Brinks.

I believe that the bundlers are short-staffed due to COVID and the alleged coin shortage is just a smokescreen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread