✅ SOLVED 3 Civil war bullets .need help on Ids

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
3 Civil war bullets .need help on Id's

These 3 bullets were found near Kennesaw mountain,private property .
I took 3 guesses but need an expert to confirm ,and thanks in advance .
I think I have two colt pistol bullets and 1 enfield .I hope I am right !!
001.JPG 002.JPG The enfield ,if that it what it is hit something so it is smashed flat on top .
And Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to all of you !!!

OP
OP
DIGGING1971GUY

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
The blackish bullet seems to be a bit thicker and more crude than the one right of it ,maybe a tiny bit bigger .

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The bullet on the left appears to be a British-made (not CS-made) .577 Enfield minie whose top half has been carved off.
The middle bullet is too corroded for certainty of ID, but it resembles a .44 Colt Revolver bullet.
The bullet on the right appears to be a .44 CS Richmond Lab bullet for various .44 revolvers.

It might be surprising to some diggers that a .44 Richmond Lab pistol-bullet would be dug around Kennesaw Mountain GA, but I dug several of those bullets there in a Confederate Cavalry camp nearly 40 years ago.

Although they closely resemble the US-made version, the LOWER PART of the ring (a ridge, not a groove) on the CS-made version is much less distinct than on the US-made version.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DIGGING1971GUY

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
The bullet on the left appears to be a British-made (not CS-made) .577 Enfield minie whose top half has been carved off.
The middle bullet is too corroded for certainty of ID, but it resembles a .44 Colt Revolver bullet.
The bullet on the right appears to be a .44 CS Richmond Lab bullet for various .44 revolvers.

It might be surprising to some diggers that a .44 Richmond Lab pistol-bullet would be dug around Kennesaw Mountain GA, but I dug several of those bullets there in a Confederate Cavalry camp nearly 40 years ago.

Although they closely resemble the US-made version, the LOWER PART of the ring (a ridge, not a groove) on the CS-made version is much less distinct than on the US-made version.

Thank you very much Cannonballguy ,I also dug a pockett knife which looks period but I know it is hard to tell if it is Civil war period
Again thanks a bunch for your reply and Happy Holidays to you !!:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions