New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the lake, ran out of air about three hours into it. My 100 ft of hose gives me about ten breaths. I can feel it right away, so I know to head for the surface. I guess that answers my question, how long can my battery last? Last year it was about three hours on the 30 hp Honda outboard, this year it is about six hrs with the 70 hp Yamaha. The bigger outboard has a bigger alternator. I never found out until I got out, I had dug about twenty brass "grommets" I just ran outside and found three on top of the trash (to take a pic). They are from bathing caps, bathing cap straps and bathing suit belts. Found clad, lipstick(Ash), old soda bottle, old spark plug, watch, and a Social Security metal card in a vynil holder that looked like a wallet underwater. I was hoping a half dollar was in it! Maybe I'll get a return on the SS card! lol
I did better with my fear, I was bare handed today. I tweaked out my weight belt, the batteries charging, I made a remote start (four ft piece of pvc pipe so I can reach the ignition switch from outside the boat) and I felt like Mike Nelson once again in my life!
Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

Resized_20160923_165929.jpg Resized_20160923_142608.jpg Resized_20160923_171357.jpg Resized_20160923_165829.jpg

Upvote 13

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a couple of those cards, one with a naked lady on the front. Looks like you are doing good!

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's all good stuff. There is gold in your future!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you advanced on this hunt... Always nice to know your limits... I like that SS card!!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I always go bare handed. I haven't got cut in years. The trick is never squeeze the muck and if sand never dig with your hands. Those shotgun shell bases are SHARP. So is glass and some rusted cans. Dig very gently in muck and wave a handful in front of your coil. When the target is in your hand, I place the whole handful in a mesh bag, hold the top shut and swish it in the water. Then I carefully reach in and find the target and put it in another bag. Dropping targets in muck is NO FUN. Chasing coins is a bear. On drop offs I carefully fan with my coil below the hole and when the target comes out and sets off the machine, I then wave the coil lower on the drop off to find it and very gently fan for it again. You WILL find those aluminum caps and sometimes only the aluminum ring that stayed on the bottle when the cap was removed on broken bottles. Just relax and go slow.

I only share my experience and ideas if you are interested in trying them. Not trying to tell you how to. It is no fun getting cut with something underwater and bleeding profusely. With your fingers cut and trying to find other targets it just isn't fun at all. Water stings. Been there done that. I have got cut on glass and shotgun shell bases before I learned the hard way!

It takes a lot of practice. But the rewards are worth it. That last 14K wedding ring I found was in about 15' of water on the bottom of a drop off. I had no idea what it was till I came out. People did swim over their heads a long long time ago. I have found barber halves and quarters down to 35' on drop offs. They slide right down and are buried. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, , you're using a hookah with 100 feet of hose,, how deep do you normally go?? I guess the 100 ft. allows you a lot of roaming underwater.
Congratulations

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Wasn't Lloyd Bridges Mike Nelson in Sea Hunt?

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple of those cards, one with a naked lady on the front. Looks like you are doing good!

Congrats on some nice stuff

Looks like you advanced on this hunt... Always nice to know your limits... I like that SS card!!

I always go bare handed. I haven't got cut in years. The trick is never squeeze the muck and if sand never dig with your hands. Those shotgun shell bases are SHARP. So is glass and some rusted cans. Dig very gently in muck and wave a handful in front of your coil. When the target is in your hand, I place the whole handful in a mesh bag, hold the top shut and swish it in the water. Then I carefully reach in and find the target and put it in another bag. Dropping targets in muck is NO FUN. Chasing coins is a bear. On drop offs I carefully fan with my coil below the hole and when the target comes out and sets off the machine, I then wave the coil lower on the drop off to find it and very gently fan for it again. You WILL find those aluminum caps and sometimes only the aluminum ring that stayed on the bottle when the cap was removed on broken bottles. Just relax and go slow.

I only share my experience and ideas if you are interested in trying them. Not trying to tell you how to. It is no fun getting cut with something underwater and bleeding profusely. With your fingers cut and trying to find other targets it just isn't fun at all. Water stings. Been there done that. I have got cut on glass and shotgun shell bases before I learned the hard way!

It takes a lot of practice. But the rewards are worth it. That last 14K wedding ring I found was in about 15' of water on the bottom of a drop off. I had no idea what it was till I came out. People did swim over their heads a long long time ago. I have found barber halves and quarters down to 35' on drop offs. They slide right down and are buried. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Very nice, , you're using a hookah with 100 feet of hose,, how deep do you normally go?? I guess the 100 ft. allows you a lot of roaming underwater.
Congratulations

Wow, I guess I took too long, I just had to re-log in and lost a dissertation to everyone's replies

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, Lloyd was mike nelson

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks getting there

Thanks, I hope so

Congrats on some nice stuff
Thanks Trapperart

Still tweaking the operation, I have some excalibur questions for you, we can talk on the boat

I appreciate your trying to help, I always take what I need and I understand your being helpful, Thanks bud

Congratulations
About 8 ft mostly if that deep. I can cover allot of ground with that 100 ft of hose!

Yep

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a lot of fun the water is a whole different place seems more virgin and I would guess lots of older stuff I want to scuba dive after kids go off to college well after college now that I think of it Thanks for sharing I like to read about water hunts STAY SAFE!!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a lot of fun the water is a whole different place seems more virgin and I would guess lots of older stuff I want to scuba dive after kids go off to college well after college now that I think of it Thanks for sharing I like to read about water hunts STAY SAFE!!

Thanks A2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread