Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finders keepers? Police say no way after $30K spills on road

I Would say "Keep It" If I was Sheriff.
How would the Owner ever Learn their Lesson about Littering if they get it Back ? :laughing7:

GRAND HAVEN, Mich. (AP) – Police in Michigan are appealing to people to surrender their instant riches after a box with $30,000 fell off the back of a truck.
Authorities in Grand Haven say drivers stopped Thursday to pick up cash for themselves.

Only $2,500 was immediately recovered and returned to the owner, who had forgotten that a cash box was on the truck's bumper. Traffic was backed up on U.S. 31 after money hit the ground.

But by Saturday, more money was trickling in. The Department of Public Safety says two teenagers turned in $630, and a woman gave up nearly $3,900.

https://hosted.ap.org/republicanher...epers-police-say-no-way-after-30k-spills-road

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honest people are the backbone of our country!

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Happened on I-94 beteween Battle Creek and Kalamazoo about 20 years ago... I know of someone who was there and stopped to help themsefs, then bragged about it.... Yes the police showed up and they returned it...

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Box of cash fell out of a truck outside my local town. People were picking up $100 bills all over the place.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting....Wonder what the law actually is on that? Morally, it should be returned. But legally? I really don't know if it would be "finders keepers" for me until in that position. I can say all the right things on the net....but..........If I actually found $100 bills floating around and gathered them up? Not sure what I'd do. :laughing7:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting....Wonder what the law actually is on that? Morally, it should be returned. But legally? I really don't know if it would be "finders keepers" for me until in that position. I can say all the right things on the net....but..........If I actually found $100 bills floating around and gathered them up? Not sure what I'd do. :laughing7:

with the right lawyer & Jury,
"picking up litter and recycling it ":coffee2:

Last edited:

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happened where I work and live lol

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
The person that told me the story (and too many others) said I-94 was at a standstill, people were goin nuts, running around like a bunch of 5 year old's at a soccer game...
There was one gal on her hands and knees with her bra and hands stuffed full of everything from $5 to $100's hollering "Help me! Someone please help me!" LOL!
Only the smart ones concentrated on the big bills...
No they never recovered it all....
but they got their I believe it was close to 5K, back...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Believe most of what is Returned is out of Fear, Not out of Civic Duty .
I'm sure what happens when first Seen is Pure Greed :laughing7:
Then The Police make a statement Threatening Jail.
And Finders seep in. Some returning all, Some returning Half
Some Calling their Bluff & Keeping it ALL.
on something like that, Unless there is a Camera "Loose Lips sink Ships" comes to Mind

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who forgets and leaves 30K on the back of their truck?! These days with cameras everywhere, the minute you decide to keep it is when you see your own mug on the evening news running around like a fool grabbing up bills lol!

Steve

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who forgets and leaves 30K on the back of their truck?! These days with cameras everywhere, the minute you decide to keep it is when you see your own mug on the evening news running around like a fool grabbing up bills lol!

Steve

LOL Would be My Luck :laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Would be My Luck :laughing7:

"Nope, Wasn't me....Sure looks like me though...Hmmm? That's strange!!.... Well?....... Sorry, but you've got the wrong guy! Hope you find it!":laughing7:

Like mentioned above...Who forgets 30k on a bumper? And if your that forgetful with 30k, I guess you won't be hurt by losing it. ....It doesn't justify just running off with it. I would still have that moral conflict... Probably really would depend on my position at that point in time. I mean...We can all write on the keyboard the "honest thing". :laughing7: And your right..I'd guess most of it was returned out of fear. Right now, today, if I found money floating around the freeway? Sorry....I really need it!! :laughing7:

The police may make a few examples to get people to turn it in, but I really doubt they are going to waste that much time with it. They may have even picked some up themselves.

Last edited:

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MXT All Pro, Whites Treasuremaster, Fisher F5,
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know one thing for certain. If I had 30K in cash, it would have never been sat down on my bumper to have been forgotten. I would have had a death grip on it until I got it to whatever secure location I was headed to with it.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe you can chalk this up to a degree to Mob Mentality. It seems that where there is a large group of people these days, civility seems non existent. People don't seem to know how to act. Anything and everything seems to just go out the door. It's a shame but almost anywhere where there are large crowds gathered, something is most likely going to happen. That is why I don't prefer crowds.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
honest or not, I would have kept my find...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread