4" dredge quad jet .

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
I have started making my 4" quad jet and i want to know if im on the right track in making it more efficient this time. Note: i am making the jet with the flare attached. The next cut on the yellow on the 8" tube will be at 2.5" length. The jet tube measures 4.5"

The inlet piece starts at about 3/4 " with a 11degree cut . Should i make these exits a bit bigger like 1" ? It will have 4 .5" hoes on the jet tube..

Attachments

• image-1810125000.jpg
    image-1810125000.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 170
  • image-1560220182.jpg
    image-1560220182.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 150

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The longer your flare the more chance the gold has to fall out. Also the longer the pipe after your jet the more efficient it will be.
Make sure you size your compression chamber to your feed. If it's to big then you'll lose pressure. Your inducers need to be sized right, not to your cut opening but to the "tube" that your feeding it from and make sure your pump(s) will supply enough water.

It looks like you already cut your pipe, I believe your opening is too big. Also your compression chamber looks to be to large. You said the yellow piece is 8", your pipe is 4"...and looks like its about 5". That's way to much chamber. Your going to lose all your pressure.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
The longer your flare the more chance the gold has to fall out. Also the longer the pipe after your jet the more efficient it will be. Make sure you size your compression chamber to your feed. If it's to big then you'll lose pressure. Your inducers need to be sized right, not to your cut opening but to the "tube" that your feeding it from and make sure your pump(s) will supply enough water. It looks like you already cut your pipe, I believe your opening is too big. Also your compression chamber looks to be to large. You said the yellow piece is 8", your pipe is 4"...and looks like its about 5". That's way to much chamber. Your going to lose all your pressure.
Jet and flare is about 5' .. The jet has about almost 3' if im not mistaken . The tube is 4.5" a bit bigger than 4". I have one that is 6" but is too small and is a slim deal trying to find a 7" tube. If i was to reduce the legth of the yellow pipe wouldnt it create more pressure. Note: my dredge pump engine is 8hp ..

I had just two .5 hoes on the last jet and it suffered of blowing up all kind of hose even the higher pressure ones builded leaks in the hose. I figure it should have been working at around 80 -100 psi to do what it was doing to the hoses. Having it work with 4 .5" hoes should reduce the pressure by almost half.

I should be working in between 35-60psi .
I dont know im just guessing havent measure anything. What should be a good working pressure for maximum suction?

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
to find the "sweet spot" on this device (where you acheive the Max. liner flow) the line after the orfice needs tobe 10x the diameter of the line. this can be shortened up but dont go to far.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
to find the "sweet spot" on this device (where you acheive the Max. liner flow) the line after the orfice needs tobe 10x the diameter of the line. this can be shortened up but dont go to far.
Soo is there is something that needs to be fixed? I dont know if you are talking about the length of the 4.5" tube. Anyways ill be going over to work on it now. If there is something you see wrong let me know before i weld everything on. . Hoping i have not to take it off because of poor suction and keep it because of good results.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So you have a 2.5" pressure hose. Your chamber is going to kill your pressure in a big way. P if I were you I would go for a pressure chamber that is around 2.5"wide and 3" deep. It's easy to do...just use some 18ga cold role, hot role or anything that you can scrounge up. Have the outer piece rolled or push down on the metal as you slide it over the edge of a table. This will help to form a roundish piece.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
So you have a 2.5" pressure hose. Your chamber is going to kill your pressure in a big way. P if I were you I would go for a pressure chamber that is around 2.5"wide and 3" deep. It's easy to do...just use some 18ga cold role, hot role or anything that you can scrounge up. Have the outer piece rolled or push down on the metal as you slide it over the edge of a table. This will help to form a roundish piece.
Where you roll sheets is a long ride for just a small piece. I was thinking cutting the yellow tube and making it a bit smaller. So how big should my pressure chamber should be? 7" x 2.5" wide ? Edit: i just measure the tube and it is 8.5" wide... bigger than i needed . I Will have to make it smaller anyways

Last edited:

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can roll it by hand. Take a piece of sheet metal, set it on a table, bench or anthing with a corner. Now grab the end of the metal over the edge of the table and push down toward the ground. How it with your other hand and slide it toward the ground. What you doing is making a poor mans roll. Think of it this way...If you had a piece and sand paper and a pipe to sand. Use both hands on each end of the paper slip it over the pipe and pull back and forth to sand. Your doing the same thing with sheet metal. The more you do it the more bend you get but you don't need much, just enough to tack it.

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi P. Looks like you got started on the jet.
On this type of design you mentioned having 4 holes .5" diameter into the main pipe. Are you planning on drilling holes at 11deg angle into the jet tube and having the channel feed the jet hole?

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Omni i cutted 4" out of the pipe and reduced it to a 7" pipe . . I dont know if i will make the inlet ports 1" tall or just leave it at 3/4"..

Attachments

• image-2989851026.jpg
    image-2989851026.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Hi P. Looks like you got started on the jet. On this type of design you mentioned having 4 holes .5" diameter into the main pipe. Are you planning on drilling holes at 11deg angle into the jet tube and having the channel feed the jet hole?
Yeah but this is just remodeling my 4" since it was running with so many defects but thats how you learn. This will be my 2nd chance at it seeking better results.

But yeah i am thinking about doing just that but ima make the hoes a tab bigger because the pipe is 4.5" and i think the pump is able to handle it well.

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could if you want, but I think you will have enough suction with 4 .5 jets which should delivery approx. 160gpm @50PSI.
the type of design you have would benefit by using the channel as the jet. Find the width and height spot on the channel which leaves an internal area of .2ci and remove all the tube for the remainder of the slot in both length and width (you will want a smooth transition from the channel to the tube and you may want to cut the channel to insert it onto the tube or lengthen the thin end of the channel so it passes the lip of the tube.)

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
So you want me to let the inlet ports enter into the chamber wall instead of welding it from the outside ? Edit: okay i dont know what you mean in using the channel as the jet . I was planning on poking 4 .5 hoes on the jet tube and 4 3/4" ones on the chamber wall. Is what you are trying to explain is any different to this?

Last edited:

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only a small part of the inlet ports after the jet orifice. This is only to provide a smooth transition so there is no lip internal to the jet where the inlet port meets the tube. You could simply grind or file, but its hard to work inside the tube after its welded.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Only a small part of the inlet ports after the jet orifice. This is only to provide a smooth transition so there is no lip internal to the jet where the inlet port meets the tube. You could simply grind or file, but its hard to work inside the tube after its welded.

I have also taken the drill when i make the hoes and i grind the front and bottom end of the jet hoe for a smoother 11degree stream of water..

But ill try and make everything as smooth as possible. Thanks.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Finished the jet .. Ill try tomorrow to test it alone with the pump and see what suction it gives me ..

Attachments

• image-1116102509.jpg
    image-1116102509.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 135
  • image-67601036.jpg
    image-67601036.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Everything worked okay.. Even though i could not run it for long because the foot valve would clog up with leaves and reduce suction..

But from i could had seen was that at low rpms the jet wouldnt have much suction but when you run it at 3/4 rpm it will rip .. It had more suction than my other jet in higher rpms .

Mar 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have started making my 4" quad jet and i want to know if im on the right track in making it more efficient this time. Note: i am making the jet with the flare attached. The next cut on the yellow on the 8" tube will be at 2.5" length. The jet tube measures 4.5"

The inlet piece starts at about 3/4 " with a 11degree cut . Should i make these exits a bit bigger like 1" ? It will have 4 .5" hoes on the jet tube..
Pressure is pressure no matter how large the container that holds it. As a matter of fact there are some who believe that a larger chamber is better :laughing7:

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everything worked okay.. Even though i could not run it for long because the foot valve would clog up with leaves and reduce suction..

But from i could had seen was that at low rpms the jet wouldnt have much suction but when you run it at 3/4 rpm it will rip .. It had more suction than my other jet in higher rpms .

Good deal P. I was worried after seeing your cut that you may of been oversized. It's a good thing that you shrunk your compression chamber. I think that would of caused you major pressure loss.

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like the jet orifice might be a bit too large if it was drilled at an angle and you may not be reaching much in PSI until the pump is ramped up enough. If you have a gauge you can install, this could help indicate if the jets could be smaller.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread