What's new

4 hour dig

Red Earth

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2013
Messages
399
Reaction score
328
Golden Thread
0
Found these at my Bracken site tonight. First time I got to go since the weekend. The white piece on the left would of been very large. It was five foot underground
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130808_202813.webp
    ForumRunner_20130808_202813.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 117
  • ForumRunner_20130808_202823.webp
    ForumRunner_20130808_202823.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 120
  • ForumRunner_20130808_202830.webp
    ForumRunner_20130808_202830.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
Nice finds! hope you find the other part to the white piece.
 
Nice work, five feet is deep, are you finding any stratification? May I ask if you are digging near a stream or into a hill side,
just trying to get a reason why you have so much overburden and are the above layers sterile?
 
I have a question.......are they broken even under ground or do they get broken from you digging them? I just find so many broken and dont know if they were broke during the making of them or after. Just wondering, rock
 
I have a question.......are they broken even under ground or do they get broken from you digging them? I just find so many broken and dont know if they were broke during the making of them or after. Just wondering, rock

Rock, I find both broken and full when I'm digging. If I break them I would let all of you know that I busted it while digging. But I have amazing results digging. Almost all my full pieces are found underground
 
Nice work, five feet is deep, are you finding any stratification? May I ask if you are digging near a stream or into a hill side,
just trying to get a reason why you have so much overburden and are the above layers sterile?

I'm right off the stream in a bank side. Other than fire stones and roots, there isn't much of anything else other than relics. I found a large 25lbs stone near the deep relic. I've only found three at that site that were deep. The other two were 4'2". I imagine it is different time periods. That's the case at my other site. The first 24 inches are woodland and the deep stuff is all archaic.
Did I answer your question? Lol. Sorry I could talk for hours about it. It truly is my passion. Other than my family, my thoughts don't stray far from my dig sites
 
Rock, I find both broken and full when I'm digging. If I break them I would let all of you know that I busted it while digging. But I have amazing results digging. Almost all my full pieces are found underground

Rock, around 98% of this came out of my two sites in the last 4 years. Plus more that I just haven't framed yet. Broken and full. Just to give a better idea. For about every two or three broken, I find a full.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130809_092414.webp
    ForumRunner_20130809_092414.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 103
And I don't keep as much as some of the other hunters.
 
Yes, now I understand what your doing, successive flood layers have deposited the deep overburden and over thousands of years the stream may have eroded more toward the camp. As you move away from the stream the overburden should start to become less, have you thought of digging some test holes away from the stream to find some shallower ground? I enjoy your posts and have dug in similar situations.
 
Yes, now I understand what your doing, successive flood layers have deposited the deep overburden and over thousands of years the stream may have eroded more toward the camp. As you move away from the stream the overburden should start to become less, have you thought of digging some test holes away from the stream to find some shallower ground? I enjoy your posts and have dug in similar situations.

Rege-PA, it is very hard to explain what the situation is at my Bracken site. The area had a dam/spillway built in it 100 years ago. So its hard to figure the place out. I'm very unsure exactly what was altered and what wasn't. But I'm fairly sure that the area I'm in was untouched.
It wasn't until I started bouncing around that I found the deeper relics but to be honest, I wasn't keeping as deep of a digging wall.
I will take pics of the place and try to give you better insight if you'd like. I wish I could show you a video of the place.
 
Nice dig finds. I have broken a few tips and pieces myself. Stuff you would not find sifting. Location is everything when digging. There is a flood plain below my site and I have been reluctant to dig it as the artifacts could be 5 feet down as in your case. You have a great place to dig. Thanks for sharing.
 
Rege-PA, just to be clear I don't mind sharing any information about my sites. I have nothing to hide in regards to them. I would be excited if anyone wanted to come and dig with me. To me, its not about keeping everything to/for myself, its about the experience of finding something from the past. If I can spark an interest or help someone further there hobbies, then so be it.
So don't be timid to ask me any questions about it. That goes for anyone else on treasure net as well
 
Pictures would be nice but please don`t go out of your way to satisfy my curiosity. The dam/spillway could explain the deep overburden. I think there is more there and possibly easier digging.
Many years ago a cousin of mine found a spring near the top of a mountain in VA, with only a 20 ft x 20 ft level area, 30 or 40 good points( some turkey tail) were excavated only several inches below the surface. It was a perfect spot to rest and get a drink after a long climb, there must be many more of these enriched spots waiting to be found in such areas.
 
That is the spirit that should be carried by more people in our hobby. I have been hunting shipwrecks and Spanish treasure for more than 10 years (talk about a tight lipped bunch). I recently got re-located to Tampa for work, and on my 2nd day here, I was fishing on the bay and there was a pottery sherd at my feet. Purely by chance I looked down and there it was....that set in motion a whirlwind of research and a renewed interest in Native American artifacts. Now i read everything I can on this board as well as shipwrecks. IMHO there is plenty to go around for everyone. A good relic site is likely an acre or much bigger....most of us would never finish digging the acre in our lifetimes. Glad to see someone sharing...I don't have much to share yet but I absorb everything I can find here. I'm using satellite imagery to try and determine old river and stream paths or see evidence of past habitation. Hopefully I will be posting some nice finds here before long. Thanks for sharing the info.
 
I always check out the shipwreck section ScubaFinder. I do not believe you can dig in florida. So you might want to check the laws. Surface finds could also be a no no. I do know that a lot of people have been charged and their artifacts confiscated. I would personnely post my finds as found in a a joining state or bought at a yard sale. I am sure there are a lot of government trolls on here. But the funding for them will surely dry up soon. If you know what I mean. Good luck and be smart/careful.
 
ScubaFinder...........research is the key and finding the information as to why and where can be just as exciting as finding the artifacts themselves, as now you know why they are there and where many more may be.
 
True words, Rege. Catherine, thanks for the heads up. I can recite shipwreck law all day long but I don't know much about the laws on land finds, I thought it was OK. I once tried to donate some finds to a museum and they refused them and got the law involved...luckily they though I had found them in the water and that was all they were concerned about, Once i convinced them that I found the items on land they let me leave...with the artifacts. ??? I will never try that again, which is sad because I would be honored to have a find in a museum....they think they have to treat us all as looters.
 
Scuba, I did the same at the field museum. But it was through email so they were just jerks
 
True words, Rege. Catherine, thanks for the heads up. I can recite shipwreck law all day long but I don't know much about the laws on land finds, I thought it was OK. I once tried to donate some finds to a museum and they refused them and got the law involved...luckily they though I had found them in the water and that was all they were concerned about, Once i convinced them that I found the items on land they let me leave...with the artifacts. ??? I will never try that again, which is sad because I would be honored to have a find in a museum....they think they have to treat us all as looters.

Scubafinder you are right it is sad that most museums view artifact hunters as outlaws, and that is because so many artifact sites have been wiped out by what they call pot hunters. I have ties with Dep. of archives and History in my state and not all of them are jerks, they have to go by so many laws. On the other hand I have showed them sites that where uncovered by loggers and they said there was nothing they could do with a site like that and the state did not have the money, so they said pick up what you can( note they did not say dig) The word dig will not come out of the mouth of a state persons mouth.:thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom