4 things that will be worth their weight in gold - trade and barter

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
1. Sugar
Everybody loves it. It gives you instant energy. It will be something that goes away fast. It is not simple to make. Get a bunch of small packs for trading purposes. Easy to ration, easy to trade or give as a gift. Everybody will want sugar.

2.Chocolate
Like sugar, almost everyone loves chocolate. It gives you an instant feeling of “ahhh” like a drug. This could be a good moral booster for you and your group. Could also be traded for things that you don't have or used as a gift. Get a pack with lots of small wrapped pieces to make rationing and trading easy.

3.Alcohol
It goes without saying that alcohol will be worth its weight in gold. Best would be to get those small airplane bottles so that you can trade without problem. This could be used to trade for almost anything! If you are a fan of “bugging in”, hunkering down and staying home. Then think about getting a brewing kit.

No it wont save your life, but it sure will make life more liveable. You will always have something to trade!

4. Tobacco
Smoking and Drinking it just goes together. Get some bags of loose tobacco and rolling papers. You can then roll your own cigs and trade them for whatever you need. You can also get tobacco seeds and plant a type of wild tobacco.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Gold
2. Gold
3. Gold
4. more Gold

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
5. Ammo

6. Antibiotics,cant get a prescription? Go to your friendly neighborhood petshop and pick up a few bottles of fishmox(a rough form of amoxicillian used for fish skin diseases)

Last edited:

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:headbang:Nice is this for the apocalypse or the zombie apocalypse?
"JUST BECAUSE YOUR PARANOID, DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE NOT AFTER YOU!?!" Famous quote.
:headbang:

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:headbang:Nice is this for the apocalypse or the zombie apocalypse?
"JUST BECAUSE YOUR PARANOID, DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE NOT AFTER YOU!?!" Famous quote.
:headbang:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice is this for the apocalypse or the zombie apocalypse?
"JUST BECAUSE YOUR PARANOID, DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE NOT AFTER YOU!

Just because youre not blind doesnt mean you can see...Red James Cash

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
8. Pepper. Was worth it's weight (literately) in the time of Marco Polo. Would be again. Guess you could include salt and other spices.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup mailman it was.Roman soldiers use to be paid in salt.Its where the word salary came from.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Sugar
Everybody loves it. It gives you instant energy. It will be something that goes away fast. It is not simple to make. Get a bunch of small packs for trading purposes. Easy to ration, easy to trade or give as a gift. Everybody will want sugar.

2.Chocolate
Like sugar, almost everyone loves chocolate. It gives you an instant feeling of “ahhh” like a drug. This could be a good moral booster for you and your group. Could also be traded for things that you don't have or used as a gift. Get a pack with lots of small wrapped pieces to make rationing and trading easy.

3.Alcohol
It goes without saying that alcohol will be worth its weight in gold. Best would be to get those small airplane bottles so that you can trade without problem. This could be used to trade for almost anything! If you are a fan of “bugging in”, hunkering down and staying home. Then think about getting a brewing kit.

No it wont save your life, but it sure will make life more liveable. You will always have something to trade!

4. Tobacco
Smoking and Drinking it just goes together. Get some bags of loose tobacco and rolling papers. You can then roll your own cigs and trade them for whatever you need. You can also get tobacco seeds and plant a type of wild tobacco.

You left off one.......Toilet paper...:D

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasurehunter- That's what I keep a big stack of old paperbacks for.

Didn't have an inside toilet till I was 16, child of very poor folks. Sears catalogs, magazines, you name it!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guarantee they will be valuable for barter.....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In no particular order some other potential hot items. Big city first choice of books to acquire yellow pages for cotton patch work but any better than none. Wad a paper up into a mass and open,repeat till softer if desired.Ladies absorbent pads for barter and a first aid compression bandage.Maybe even some midol/ibuprofen. Viable seeds. Wire snares,fishing line,hooks. Handtools,knives,files,utility saws, hammers and shovels.Bleach,with ability to fragment into ounces even, water filters.
When bartering have a back up set of eyes,or chose you position carefully. You will be gambling all you possess at the time and place your at so chose your items and their amount accordingly. Maybe a risk even beyond so watch your backtrail,an organized pirate group can and if your noted as having goodies likely will raise havoc with the best of plans you have. Recon,distraction, then trap, with you the victim. Scatter caches carefully and keep a low profile.Even a group of trading folks you knew in better times can get wild ideas.People are people.If the life of crime can be a lonely life so can a life of trying to avoid it be.An interdependence in a local group a plus, yet with attendant risks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread