What's new

40% Halves

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Messages
1,984
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to trade in some 40%'ers yesterday and I was look at like I had a VD. The fellow behind the counter asked the owner if
he was taking them????????? I thought WTF, silver is silver. After a pregnant pause the manager behind the counter said
that he would take them at melt - 25 cents this time. He will not buy anymore 40% from anyone..... :icon_scratch:

This is not the first time it has happened, I have had several people "Lowball" the 40% I had for sale. Had to say "No Thanks" and moved on. One of the "Lowballers" is the shoppe where I spend alot of time and money in.

What is wrong with 40% halves? Oh yea, the guy was not going to take Ike's either...... :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
40% halves are the rotten stepchild of silver coin. Costs more to refine the silver, they just are not as desireable as 90%. Full rolls do seem to move pretty good on that popular auction site.
 
Have you tried ARA or someplace like that. They seem to have no trouble with the 40%.
 
If I ever get enough 40% to make it worthwhile I'll definitely trade up to 90% or better. Looks like ebay works well for rolls of 40%, haven't looked into ARA yet.
 
.25 in back of melt is very very good. That is less than 1%. The problem with 40% is just what you found out. It takes a while to find a buyer at an acceptable price locally.

HH,
65GT350
 
Melt - .25 is very good in my opinion too.
 
blacoint said:
i was getting 3.50 just last week, when silver bolted to 29. I unloaded ALL of mine...and now you see why. You guys that give me a hard time! Sorry to see you get handled on that one. I'd hold onto them if you can't get the proper amount to make a good swap/buy. Like I've always said, 40% is pretty much nonsense...If you find a dealer that'll take them, and at a good price, get too it.

Blacoint,

He still got over 4.00 per coin based on yesterday's NY Close of 27.68 (27.68-.25*.1475 = $4.05). I don't think we we are giving you a hard time. I just looked at your transactions differently. You justified your selling of 40% at a lower price because you were able to find 90% at below melt. The person paying you 3.50 per coin when spot was 29.00 was in effect buying at -$5.28 in back of spot.

HH,
65GT350
 
Hang onto them for a while. Silver will go back up. Then look for coin shows in your area. Dealers from all over the U.S. come to coin shows and buy rolls of them for good prices. They then bring them home and sell them. Depends on your area.
Hang tight!
rileyboy
 
I was having the same problem with the local stores where I spend, going low on the offers to buy. I did sell today at a coin show (Fort Myers FL) 100.00 face 40% for spot -7%. The best offer came from a Tampa dealer of mostly bullion and not collectible coins.
I wish that silver was higher when I sold but it did give me some money for the coin show :)
Spot -.25 per coin is a pretty good store price in this area for me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom