What's new

40% silver at face? No, there are free!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
1,184
Reaction score
282
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to Kroger (for those who are not in my area, it's a chained grocery store as Publix, Smith, Giant Eagle, Price-Chopper) today and checked the green machine (coin-star). There were 3 halves in the reject tray. I picked them up: 1x1967, 1x1968d, 1x1969d. Silver for free! I always want to put some 40% silver halves into the coin-star so to verify the claim of "coin-star rejects silver". I guess I am really convinced and no more scientific experiment is needed. Last year at the same machine I found a beaten-up 1888 silver dime.

Whoever dumped the halves must've think that those coins rejected by the machine are not real money because s/he could spend that $1.5 in the grocery store or exchange at the in-store bank!!!. Ha ha, lucky for me.

Happy Hunting everyone!
 
Upvote 0
nice, free is always better.
 
I am tempted to try the experiment. I have free coinstar machines at my dump bank. Just hate the thought of loseing a AG coin....
 
i still cannot say for sure that these machines sort out the silver. i think it all depends how the machine has been calibrated. these machines as well as the ones i use at TD get alot of use and fall out of calibration after a short period of time. the tellers at TD said that some days they are recalibrated several times. i have both found silver in the reject bin and have also seen silver in bags (no they won't sell them to me) that have come from the same machine. so my theory is, depending on who is doing the calibration, it could be a millimeter of difference between counting the silver or rejecting it. i noticed this also with dimes being counted as pennies one day and an accurate count on the dimes the next. same machine.
 
mistergee said:
i still cannot say for sure that these machines sort out the silver. i think it all depends how the machine has been calibrated. these machines as well as the ones i use at TD get alot of use and fall out of calibration after a short period of time. the tellers at TD said that some days they are recalibrated several times. i have both found silver in the reject bin and have also seen silver in bags (no they won't sell them to me) that have come from the same machine. so my theory is, depending on who is doing the calibration, it could be a millimeter of difference between counting the silver or rejecting it. i noticed this also with dimes being counted as pennies one day and an accurate count on the dimes the next. same machine.

Mr.G:

If you found silver in the reject tray and in the bag of the same machine, then you have a stronger point. I always wonder how the machine works! I personally prefer the machine takes all silver so we won't get skunk boxes.
 
my understanding is that there are degrees of calibration. if its set too high it may reject certain coins. if it is too low it may count them.(or visa versa) :dontknow: being they are calibrated so often due to excessive use, the person calibrating may be higher or lower than the last person causing certain coins to either be rejected or accepted.
 
I work in a Kroger owned store in Colorado and the machine at my store has blessed me with alot of silver. Our accounting requires management to dump our loose change for the week into our coinstar and then we supply rolls to our registers....each week I have received silver and steel. So far I have gotten 3 steel wheats, 2 silver quarters and 10 silver dimes bought at face value cause I have to buy them from the store :) I've also got a few steelies and a couple silver dimes out of the reject tray when ppl used it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom