DSCF4251.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 419
  • DSCF4252.JPG
    DSCF4252.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 435

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
FRANKFORT ARSENAL 45-70 Cartridge made in June of 1888.

The "R" designates it as a RIFLE cartridge using 70 grains of powder
The "F" designates it as a Frankfort Arsenal loading
The single digit is the month
The double digit is the year

If it had been C 6 88 F it would have been the same EXCEPT it would be loaded for a Carbine with only 55 grains of powder.

There you have it.
Nice find!

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=DigEmAll ]

The "R" designates it as a RIFLE cartridge using 70 grains of powder
The "F" designates it as a Frankfort Arsenal loading
The single digit is the month
The double digit is the year
If it had been C 6 88 F it would have been the same EXCEPT it would be loaded for a Carbine with only 55 grains of powder.
There you have it.
Nice find!
Gad Digemout mi compadre, we agree on something ??????hehehe

Tropical Tamp

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diving doc ]

Gad Digemout mi compadre, we agree on something ??????hehehe

Tropical Tamp

. The heavier bullet produced significantly superior ballistics, and could reach ranges of 3,500 yards (3200 m), which were beyond the maximum range of the .45-70-405. While the effective range of the .45-70 on individual targets was limited to about 1,000 yards (915 m) with either load, the heavier bullet would produce lethal injuries at 3,500 yards. At those ranges, the bullets struck point-first at roughly a 30 degree angle, penetrating 3 one inch (2.5 cm) thick oak boards, and then traveling to a depth of 8 inches (20 cm) into the sand of the Sandy Hook beach. It was hoped the longer range of the .45-70-500 would allow effective volleyed fire at ranges beyond those normally expected of infantry fire.
This was for infilading fire, not individual targets. see attachment The 45 70 was /is quite capable of extreme accuracy to 1000 meters. It is quite capable of hitting an individual enemy in the hands of a cool good shot at this range..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tropical Tramp

Attachments

• Enfilading fire.jpg
    Enfilading fire.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 318
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i dont know about the rest of the usa but here in good ol new mexico there are still gun shows. my friend and i owned a 45-70 for about 3 hours. we were trying to get a ar, my friend had a rem 700 22-250, for sale, we ended up trading the 22-250 for a i believe navy arms??? it ws navy something, one of the most beatuiful rifles i have ever seen, besides my hawken(which is also gone), but on the 45-70 we ended up getting a box of shells for it and went in the desert shot about 5 rounds, returned to our table, and traded up for a bushmaster dissipotor ar( bushmaster is the KING of ar's, seriously). the sight alone on the 45-70 was well worth over a hundred bucks. i told my friend not to trade but he insisted. so eventually he tired of his ar, down graded to a .454 casuall, the casuall ended up taking his life 2 years ago this aug. he was my best friend and i had actually introduced him to metal detecting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
actually the recoil was very mild, the barrel was a hughe octagon. my uncle once owned a 45-70 single shot derringer, i forgot the make, i was too little to shoot it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
true true, but most breech or lever action guns in 45-70 have smaller barrels compared to this one

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diving doc said:
chong2mry said:
actually the recoil was very mild, the barrel was a hughe octagon. my uncle once owned a 45-70 single shot derringer, i forgot the make, i was too little to shoot it.

If the recoil was mild you weren't shooting full loads. It has a very respectable kick.

Doc

Remember,

the heavier the gun, the less felt recoil there is.

John

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diving doc said:
blurr said:
diving doc said:
chong2mry said:

If the recoil was mild you weren't shooting full loads. It has a very respectable kick.

Doc

Remember,

the heavier the gun, the less felt recoil there is.

John
I have had two rifles in this caliber, still own one and fire it on occasion. If you don't hold it tight you will get kicked. If you are comparing light and heavy weapons in the same caliber, of course you are right.
Regards,
Doc

You are right on the money about holding the gun tight against you. I bought a 7mm remington magnum a few years ago for bear hunting. A freind of mine helped me sight it in. The first time he shot he held the scope against his eye. He claimed later that is how they teach you in the military. Anyways, he ended up with a nice half moon cut on his forehead. Guess he was holding too tight huh?

John

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed the shell had not been fired as the primer wasn't dented. I handload my .45-70 with 400 gr. lead flat point gas checked bullets and the recoil is about like a 12 guage shotgun. The load I use is slightly heavier than the old black powder loading but with a lighter bullet. It still has plenty of knockdown power for hunting everything up to and including black bear sized game if you keep your distance to about 200 yards or less. Geat old round and fun to shoot. Monty

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diving doc said:
Monty said:
I noticed the shell had not been fired as the primer wasn't dented. I handload my .45-70 with 400 gr. lead flat point gas checked bullets and the recoil is about like a 12 gauge shotgun. The load I use is slightly heavier than the old black powder loading but with a lighter bullet. It still has plenty of knockdown power for hunting everything up to and including black bear sized game if you keep your distance to about 200 yards or less. Great old round and fun to shoot. Monty

After more than 100 years this round has yet to be surpassed. When firing with a 500 grain solid copper slug the kick is very healthy and capable of rendering the largest shark, biggest game animal, or motor block completely unserviceable.

Doc

Well,

There are a lott of rounds that surpass the 45-70, but I don't want to take anything away from this historic round. It has shot Indians, bear, deer, elk and anything else that the north American continent has to offer. I'm sure that it could conquer other continents too, but that is for another thread. For shorter ranges, this is about as good a round as you can find. After a couple hundred yards though, then you have to do some searching. No criticism, just a comment.

John

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread