5 hours...NO wheaties...but 7 keepers....ALL silver and injuns.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I finally squeezed in my first afternoon of hunting in about 2 weeks. I've been busy helping my dad keep things up around the homestead so my hunt time has been limited.

I met up with a hunting buddy (Darrell)and we hit a park that has been heavily worked for many years but still gives up some oldies at times.

About 2 months ago I almost got the silver slam there but the Yeti got the seated I needed. :dontknow:
I then went back 2 more times in the last 2 months...and got only 2 injuns out of both trips combined. ???

I decided to work an area that didn't look so good...surrounding the outer portion of the pond.

It wasn't long before I had injun #1...and Merc #1...so I was now on cruise control. :thumbsup:

I wandered around for at least another hour or so before getting another hit decent enough to take a shot at.
It was a faint warble that sounded inbetween an injun and a wheatie...but it had that nice little "jingle" to the tone...and the depth meter was nearly buried. Also about one out of every three passes provided a slightly higher sounding hit. :icon_thumleft:

I dug down about 8" and saw a little piece of wire off to the side of the hole. ???
I got it out of the way and ran the probe again. Now it was a nice high "warbler"...and I knew it had to be a good one.
I got down another 1" or so and saw the glimmer of silver. Yippee!....out popped a Barber dime from right at 9" down. :headbang:

I then continued to work the perimeter of the pond while Darrell got a little more creative. 8) He decided that no one would have been brave enough to balance themselves on the broken slabs of concrete...while hunting the very edge of the soil. ::)
Well he was partially right at least...because most everyone else would have had enough common sense not to try it 8)...especially since it headed about 10 feet down into the pond. :laughing7:

Whatcha' think happened next? :laughing7:... You guessed it! :hello2:

I hear "Oh shi$" ::)...then a big thud 8)...like someone just dropped a 200lb sack of taters on the concrete. :laughing7:

I turned around in time to see Darrell clutching his detector above his head...as he is sliding and bouncing off of concrete slabs...on his way into the water :laughing7:

He then started cussing about some metal rod sticking out of the concrete slab that had mysteriously "grabbed" his ankle....throwing him off balance. :laughing9:

Too bad I didn't have my camera...'cause there he sat...240lbs of mud and slop...moaning and groaning about how it wasn't his fault :laughing7:..but all the while still safely holding his Explorer out of harms way. :headbang:

After I was done laughing...I told him to get his big truck drivin' rear-end out of the water...and to stay off the concrete...so we could continue hunting. :D

Sometime this summer I need to get the Yeti on an expedition together with Darrel and I...or vice versa. I can't even imagine what could transpire with both the Yeti and Darrell hunting with me at the same time. ;D Heck I might just take my video camera and leave the detector in the car. :hello2: :laughing9:

Anyway after cleaning off mud bog boy...we continued hunting. :icon_sunny:

By about 3 hours into the hunt...I had picked up a second Barber dime and 2 more injuns...all in excess of 8" deep.

Another hour or so went by before I got anything else to investigate....but this one was a strange one. It sounded like an injun from 2 ways...but sounded like silver from the other 2 ways. The main thing though was that it repeated all the way around as I circled the target...and those repeatable hits are very scarce around here. :icon_thumleft:

I carefully dug down almost 9"...then located it with the probe..and it was off to the bottom side of the hole. I then knew it was tilted or on edge...so I picked out a nice little clod that stayed intact. When the chunk popped out...I saw the little silver rim peeking through...and instantly got that stupid "little kid" grin on my face. :wink:

I was pretty sure it would be my third barber dime of the day....so I decided to leave it intact in the clod until I got home to scan it.

After taking the pic of the rim peeking out...I ran some water over the clod so I could begin to remove the dime.

Well...as you can see from the pics...it turned out to be a Merc instead of a barber.
I'm not complaining though....as it was and is.. always a thrill for me when one comes out of the ground with the rim peeking through. :thumbsup: It doesn't happen often...and when it does...I like to go through the process I just described to see what surprise is inside. :D

As for the injuns'...I can't figure out how these 3 were found in the same general area...but 2 of them needed a peroxide bath...while the 1885 just needed a little "spit cleaning". :o

All in all a GREAT 5 hours at a beat up park...and as always here...signals were few and far between. What coins did pop out though..were all keepers. :thumbsup:

I used 3 different coils on the afternoon...the WOT...the 6 x 8 SEF...and the pro coil.

I ended up with NO wheaties... but got 2 Mercs...2 Barbers..3 injuns :thumbsup: ...and Darrell got to to go swimming. :blob1: ;D

Thanks for viewing and good luck on your next hunt

Attachments

• coins199.jpg
    coins199.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,127
  • coins200.jpg
    coins200.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,127
  • coins201.jpg
    coins201.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,161
  • coins202.jpg
    coins202.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,162
  • coins203.jpg
    coins203.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,154
  • coins204.jpg
    coins204.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,149
  • coins205.jpg
    coins205.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,136
  • coins206.jpg
    coins206.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,136
  • coins207.jpg
    coins207.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,123
Upvote 0

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Looks like you had a good day!! Very nice looking coins and a humorous story about Darrell! Looks and sounds like good times.... :hello2: :laughing7:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds silverfreak, always love reading your storys. Congrats and best of luck on your future hunts.

Mainer

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love reading your long, detailed post's Bryce. This one was a little funny when your poor hunting partner took a plunge into the water. Luckily his detector wasn't submerged :-[ Nice batch of silver and Mr. green IH's :laughing7:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bryce....WTG!! :hello2:
The silvers and the IHs always make for a good day
of hunting. With all the older coins you found, I am
supprised you didn't find any wheats. But with that many
keepers, who's complaining!! Gold Nuggets :hello:

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW ~ that's totally AWESOME man! NO WHEATS?! That's weird to find so much silver & Indian head cents ~ but NO WHEATS?!

CONGRAT'S!!!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob S said:
Nice Finds WTG
Thanks Bob

RONC(OR) said:
Bryce Nice finds congrats that is funny :laughing9: HH
Thanks Ron. I would loved to have had my camera with me. :laughing7:

jraven said:
Looks like you had a good day!! Very nice looking coins and a humorous story about Darrell! Looks and sounds like good times.... :hello2: :laughing7:
Thanks J. Yep...Darrell needed a bath anyway :hello2:

lasttoknow (Tim) said:
Nice finds once again SF... And you personally know the swamp thing... Truely priceless...
Thanks Tim. Thank you for Darrell's new nickname..."Swampthing" it is :headbang:

MarkinIa said:
WTG Bryce, another great hunt
Thanks Mark

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oddcoins said:
WOW ~ that's totally AWESOME man! NO WHEATS?! That's weird to find so much silver & Indian head cents ~ but NO WHEATS?!

CONGRAT'S!!!
Thanks O.C.....Nope..no wheaties. Most all of those easy hits from 4 to 8" disappeared years ago. All that's left there now are the deeper tougher hits.on edge...too deep...in trash...etc

gold nuggets said:
Nice finds Bryce....WTG!! :hello2:
The silvers and the IHs always make for a good day
of hunting. With all the older coins you found, I am
supprised you didn't find any wheats. But with that many
keepers, who's complaining!! Gold Nuggets :hello:
Thanks GN. Wheaties disappeared from this park long ago. The tougher iffy signals are all that's ;eft. the one signal I got that repeated all the way around the target really shocked me.I was shocked to find 7 keepers to be honest.
Take care my friend...and good luck on your next hunt.

crazyjarhead said:
Love reading your long, detailed post's Bryce. This one was a little funny when your poor hunting partner took a plunge into the water. Luckily his detector wasn't submerged :-[ Nice batch of silver and Mr. green IH's :laughing7:
Thanks CJH. It was time he took a bath anyway :hello2:

mainer said:
Nice finds silverfreak, always love reading your storys. Congrats and best of luck on your future hunts.

Mainer
Thanks Mainer. Good luck on your next hunt

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Allright Bryce ...

Another Argento Bonanza ...

Congrats my Good friend ...

~ Nick ~

Thanks Nick. I hope all is well with you brother :icon_thumleft:

M

michigan michael

Love that story. :laughing9: You should scan that ledge now! He surely dropped a few coins down that hill! lol :laughing9: :laughing9: Congrats on your finds! :icon_thumright:

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME COINS YOU GOT THERE!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome hunt, super finds!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another inspirational hunt and post Bryce , Thank you !! I'd be very happy with 5 hour

hunt like that - ( that's about 5 months worth of goodies in my world !) Argentium.

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
I always enjoy reading your posts. Very well written. Darrell saved his detector from the drink! Kudos to him. Congrats on some tough silver finds from a heavily hunted site!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread