5 hours...NO wheaties...but 7 keepers....ALL silver and injuns.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I finally squeezed in my first afternoon of hunting in about 2 weeks. I've been busy helping my dad keep things up around the homestead so my hunt time has been limited.

I met up with a hunting buddy (Darrell)and we hit a park that has been heavily worked for many years but still gives up some oldies at times.

About 2 months ago I almost got the silver slam there but the Yeti got the seated I needed. :dontknow:
I then went back 2 more times in the last 2 months...and got only 2 injuns out of both trips combined. ???

I decided to work an area that didn't look so good...surrounding the outer portion of the pond.

It wasn't long before I had injun #1...and Merc #1...so I was now on cruise control. :thumbsup:

I wandered around for at least another hour or so before getting another hit decent enough to take a shot at.
It was a faint warble that sounded inbetween an injun and a wheatie...but it had that nice little "jingle" to the tone...and the depth meter was nearly buried. Also about one out of every three passes provided a slightly higher sounding hit. :icon_thumleft:

I dug down about 8" and saw a little piece of wire off to the side of the hole. ???
I got it out of the way and ran the probe again. Now it was a nice high "warbler"...and I knew it had to be a good one.
I got down another 1" or so and saw the glimmer of silver. Yippee!....out popped a Barber dime from right at 9" down. :headbang:

I then continued to work the perimeter of the pond while Darrell got a little more creative. 8) He decided that no one would have been brave enough to balance themselves on the broken slabs of concrete...while hunting the very edge of the soil. ::)
Well he was partially right at least...because most everyone else would have had enough common sense not to try it 8)...especially since it headed about 10 feet down into the pond. :laughing7:

Whatcha' think happened next? :laughing7:... You guessed it! :hello2:

I hear "Oh shi$" ::)...then a big thud 8)...like someone just dropped a 200lb sack of taters on the concrete. :laughing7:

I turned around in time to see Darrell clutching his detector above his head...as he is sliding and bouncing off of concrete slabs...on his way into the water :laughing7:

He then started cussing about some metal rod sticking out of the concrete slab that had mysteriously "grabbed" his ankle....throwing him off balance. :laughing9:

Too bad I didn't have my camera...'cause there he sat...240lbs of mud and slop...moaning and groaning about how it wasn't his fault :laughing7:..but all the while still safely holding his Explorer out of harms way. :headbang:

After I was done laughing...I told him to get his big truck drivin' rear-end out of the water...and to stay off the concrete...so we could continue hunting. :D

Sometime this summer I need to get the Yeti on an expedition together with Darrel and I...or vice versa. I can't even imagine what could transpire with both the Yeti and Darrell hunting with me at the same time. ;D Heck I might just take my video camera and leave the detector in the car. :hello2: :laughing9:

Anyway after cleaning off mud bog boy...we continued hunting. :icon_sunny:

By about 3 hours into the hunt...I had picked up a second Barber dime and 2 more injuns...all in excess of 8" deep.

Another hour or so went by before I got anything else to investigate....but this one was a strange one. It sounded like an injun from 2 ways...but sounded like silver from the other 2 ways. The main thing though was that it repeated all the way around as I circled the target...and those repeatable hits are very scarce around here. :icon_thumleft:

I carefully dug down almost 9"...then located it with the probe..and it was off to the bottom side of the hole. I then knew it was tilted or on edge...so I picked out a nice little clod that stayed intact. When the chunk popped out...I saw the little silver rim peeking through...and instantly got that stupid "little kid" grin on my face. :wink:

I was pretty sure it would be my third barber dime of the day....so I decided to leave it intact in the clod until I got home to scan it.

After taking the pic of the rim peeking out...I ran some water over the clod so I could begin to remove the dime.

Well...as you can see from the pics...it turned out to be a Merc instead of a barber.
I'm not complaining though....as it was and is.. always a thrill for me when one comes out of the ground with the rim peeking through. :thumbsup: It doesn't happen often...and when it does...I like to go through the process I just described to see what surprise is inside. :D

As for the injuns'...I can't figure out how these 3 were found in the same general area...but 2 of them needed a peroxide bath...while the 1885 just needed a little "spit cleaning". :o

All in all a GREAT 5 hours at a beat up park...and as always here...signals were few and far between. What coins did pop out though..were all keepers. :thumbsup:

I used 3 different coils on the afternoon...the WOT...the 6 x 8 SEF...and the pro coil.

I ended up with NO wheaties... but got 2 Mercs...2 Barbers..3 injuns :thumbsup: ...and Darrell got to to go swimming. :blob1: ;D

Thanks for viewing and good luck on your next hunt

Attachments

• coins199.jpg
    coins199.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,128
  • coins200.jpg
    coins200.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,128
  • coins201.jpg
    coins201.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,162
  • coins202.jpg
    coins202.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,163
  • coins203.jpg
    coins203.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,155
  • coins204.jpg
    coins204.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,150
  • coins205.jpg
    coins205.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,137
  • coins206.jpg
    coins206.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,137
  • coins207.jpg
    coins207.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,124
Upvote 0
Wow Bryce. Another great hunt and cool/funny story. Where do you find these guys you hunt with? First there's the Yeti grazing on anything edible and now Darrell wanting to take his tector swimming. You could have been a bud and held his detector while he swam. :laughing7:

You do that explorer well. Every time I read one of your posts I think about buying one. ::)

Looking forward to your next post.
Randy

Cool stuff Bryce. For a while you had me on the edge of my seat, expecting another 1916. Can always count on you for good finds and a better story.

daytondigger said:
Always enjoy reading your long posts, can't say that about everyone. ;D Nice finds, congrats!! :thumbsup:
Thanks D.D. ;D
I hope my posts don't get on some people's nerves...but I enjoy this hobby and love to share it.

Goes4ever said:
awesome hunt, super finds!
Thanks G-4

etrac007 said:
AWESOME COINS YOU GOT THERE!
Thanks buddy.

MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
Love that story. :laughing9: You should scan that ledge now! He surely dropped a few coins down that hill! lol :laughing9: :laughing9: Congrats on your finds! :icon_thumright:
Now that's FUNNY :laughing7: :laughing9: Thanks for responding too. :D

allen said:
congrats on the sweet silver :thumbsup:
and those nice indians ! :thumbsup:
Thanks Allen

RPG said:
Wow Bryce. Another great hunt and cool/funny story. Where do you find these guys you hunt with? First there's the Yeti grazing on anything edible and now Darrell wanting to take his tector swimming. You could have been a bud and held his detector while he swam. :laughing7:

You do that explorer well. Every time I read one of your posts I think about buying one. ::)

Looking forward to your next post.
Randy
Thanks Randy...I appreciate it.
As for the Yeti...and now the newly named "Swamp Thing" ;D ....with either of these two..something goofy is just waiting to happen. :laughing7:

RiverRat3 said:
Nice coinage.
Thanks R.R.

Kimsdad said:
Great finds! - Great story! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

The only thing that would have made it better are pics of the fallen warrior! ;D
Thanks bro. Pics would have been priceless :laughing9:

gibsondan said:
I always enjoy reading your posts. Very well written. Darrell saved his detector from the drink! Kudos to him. Congrats on some tough silver finds from a heavily hunted site!
Thanks Dan. Finds are secondary to the joy and fun the hunting brings me.
If I'm lucky enough to see silver shining in the hole...it's icing on the cake. :thumbsup:
I will have to admit..the Swamp Thing impressed me with his detector saving skills :D

Argentium said:
Another inspirational hunt and post Bryce , Thank you !! I'd be very happy with 5 hour

hunt like that - ( that's about 5 months worth of goodies in my world !) Argentium.
Thanks brother. I'm thrilled with the finds...as they are definitely much tougher this year.
It's all about the fun for me though. Whether I find anything or not....it's a blast.
Take care

Another great story Bryce, I really like your finds and how you went about finding them.

I have a Explorer II and the other day, Tuesday, I had a target like the one you had. I kept getting mixed readings, but I could get a good signal each way I moved my coil over the sound. It seemed their were more than one target. I got a 7-28 reading and a 00-28. I was sure there were two targets. When ever I get a 00-anything reading on the meter I dig. The targets both were around 6-7 inches deep, another good indicator that it might be a good target. Sure enough I dug down and got a nice wheat penny. I kept thinking there must be another coin in there. Sure enough, I got another signal with my Sun Ray Probe on the left, really faint but their. I dug to the left and the signal got bigger. Then I saw the side of silver coin. Sure enough the 00-28 came true, it was a Washington Quarter 1935. Gotta love the Explorer II.

I found that quarter, 2 Rosy's, a silver ring and 15 wheat pennies. I'll post the pictures later. Had Carpal tunnel surgery today, so it has sort of slowed me down. I will have the right hand done the end of the month. So I think I'll be down for awhile.

Keep posting, I love reading your posts.
HH,Ringfinder

ringfinder said:
Another great story Bryce, I really like your finds and how you went about finding them.

I have a Explorer II and the other day, Tuesday, I had a target like the one you had. I kept getting mixed readings, but I could get a good signal each way I moved my coil over the sound. It seemed their were more than one target. I got a 7-28 reading and a 00-28. I was sure there were two targets. When ever I get a 00-anything reading on the meter I dig. The targets both were around 6-7 inches deep, another good indicator that it might be a good target. Sure enough I dug down and got a nice wheat penny. I kept thinking there must be another coin in there. Sure enough, I got another signal with my Sun Ray Probe on the left, really faint but their. I dug to the left and the signal got bigger. Then I saw the side of silver coin. Sure enough the 00-28 came true, it was a Washington Quarter 1935. Gotta love the Explorer II.

I found that quarter, 2 Rosy's, a silver ring and 15 wheat pennies. I'll post the pictures later. Had Carpal tunnel surgery today, so it has sort of slowed me down. I will have the right hand done the end of the month. So I think I'll be down for awhile.

Keep posting, I love reading your posts.
HH,Ringfinder
Thanks Ringfinder. That is a pretty neat story of the co-located targets you found...and that hole turned out to be a good one. I'll look forward to your post and pics.

curbdiggercarl57 said:
You defy odds. I like that in a person. Kudos.
Thanks Carl. I appreciate that.

muleskinner said:
Cool stuff Bryce. For a while you had me on the edge of my seat, expecting another 1916. Can always count on you for good finds and a better story.
Thanks buddy. I usually have a lot of fun whether I find anything or not.
I do like my private hunt time...and need it...but I enjoy hunting with my buddies too.

kevin11 said:
I know why you call yourself silverfreak WTG cool finds.
Kevin
Thanks Kevin

Man every hunt is a hoot aint it?? :wink:,,,,, great story as always and great finds,,I always look forward to your posts,and finds.

At least he saved the old detector huh,,, have good night and a better tomorrow,,,,thanks for the showing.

Arthur

Awesome hunt Bryce! Your write-up was fantastic. Thanks for taking the extra time to make your posts so enjoyable to read!!!

Keep on warbling!

Jim

Your posts always seem to cause me to burst out laughing. I would love to see some videos of these classic moments if you can ever catch one on tape. Way to go on a very sweet and entertaining hunt. Thanks for sharing.
Anthony

Bryce,

Thanks for the great story. I had to laugh. You have some very nice keepers there, too. Great job! :thumbsup: Glad you got out for a daytime hunt for once.

Take care, and HH!

Dr. Ace

I liked your story and how your pulling the Barbers, Mercs and Indian cents out of the ground a 9 inches. :thumbsup:

silverfreak said:
Sometime this summer I need to get the Yeti on an expedition together with Darrel and I...or vice versa. I can't even imagine what could transpire with both the Yeti and Darrell hunting with me at the same time. ;D Heck I might just take my video camera and leave the detector in the car. :hello2: :laughing9:

I'd fly up in the Fall just to witness that hunt. Video camera in hand ;D

Great report. :thumbsup:

Great lookin finds there! Keep em comming! 8)

Steve

Bryce,
Very Nicely Done!
What a great hunt in a pounded out park!

Again, you inspire me, as well as many others I'm sure!

I think you may need to consider carrying a digital camera when you are hunting with any of these guys.
A picture of Yeti, or Mud Man along with your great finds and well written posts would be icing on the cake!

Always wishing you the best!
Mark

mpostma said:
Bryce,
Very Nicely Done!
What a great hunt in a pounded out park!

Again, you inspire me, as well as many others I'm sure!

I think you may need to consider carrying a digital camera when you are hunting with any of these guys.
A picture of Yeti, or Mud Man along with your great finds and well written posts would be icing on the cake!

Always wishing you the best!
Mark
Thanks Mark. I always appreciate the kinds words you give me.
A digital camera might be a good idea. Even if we don't find anything...I'm sure I could catch the yeti or the swamp thing doing something goofy. :laughing7:

Goldiver said:
Great lookin finds there! Keep em comming! 8)

Steve
Thanks Steve

Jaw Jah Danny said:
silverfreak said:

I'd fly up in the Fall just to witness that hunt. Video camera in hand ;D

Great report. :thumbsup:
;D Thanks Danny :laughing9:

rodgerdodger said:
I liked your story and how your pulling the Barbers, Mercs and Indian cents out of the ground a 9 inches. :thumbsup:
Thanks R.D. Sometimes they pop out...and sometimes the pouch remains empty ;D I always have fun though.

Dr. Ace said:
Bryce,

Thanks for the great story. I had to laugh. You have some very nice keepers there, too. Great job! :thumbsup: Glad you got out for a daytime hunt for once.

Take care, and HH!

Dr. Ace
Thanks buddy. The "Swamp Thing" is among us :laughing7:

Narthoniel said:
Your posts always seem to cause me to burst out laughing. I would love to see some videos of these classic moments if you can ever catch one on tape. Way to go on a very sweet and entertaining hunt. Thanks for sharing.
Anthony
Thanks Anthony. One of these days I might just do so :laughing7:

time4me said:
Awesome hunt Bryce! Your write-up was fantastic. Thanks for taking the extra time to make your posts so enjoyable to read!!!

Keep on warbling!

Jim
Thanks Jim. I just calls' it like I sees' it :laughing9:
Take care buddy

artzstuff1 said:
Man every hunt is a hoot aint it?? :wink:,,,,, great story as always and great finds,,I always look forward to your posts,and finds.

At least he saved the old detector huh,,, have good night and a better tomorrow,,,,thanks for the showing.

Arthur
Thanks Arthur. The Swamp Thing did make a nice save on the explorer ;D

WOW Bryce That is awesome my friend !!!! :headbang: Glad you got out and had a good time :icon_thumleft:Have a good one and Good luck on your next hunt !!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back