5 hours...NO wheaties...but 7 keepers....ALL silver and injuns.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I finally squeezed in my first afternoon of hunting in about 2 weeks. I've been busy helping my dad keep things up around the homestead so my hunt time has been limited.

I met up with a hunting buddy (Darrell)and we hit a park that has been heavily worked for many years but still gives up some oldies at times.

About 2 months ago I almost got the silver slam there but the Yeti got the seated I needed. :dontknow:
I then went back 2 more times in the last 2 months...and got only 2 injuns out of both trips combined. ???

I decided to work an area that didn't look so good...surrounding the outer portion of the pond.

It wasn't long before I had injun #1...and Merc #1...so I was now on cruise control. :thumbsup:

I wandered around for at least another hour or so before getting another hit decent enough to take a shot at.
It was a faint warble that sounded inbetween an injun and a wheatie...but it had that nice little "jingle" to the tone...and the depth meter was nearly buried. Also about one out of every three passes provided a slightly higher sounding hit. :icon_thumleft:

I dug down about 8" and saw a little piece of wire off to the side of the hole. ???
I got it out of the way and ran the probe again. Now it was a nice high "warbler"...and I knew it had to be a good one.
I got down another 1" or so and saw the glimmer of silver. Yippee!....out popped a Barber dime from right at 9" down. :headbang:

I then continued to work the perimeter of the pond while Darrell got a little more creative. 8) He decided that no one would have been brave enough to balance themselves on the broken slabs of concrete...while hunting the very edge of the soil. ::)
Well he was partially right at least...because most everyone else would have had enough common sense not to try it 8)...especially since it headed about 10 feet down into the pond. :laughing7:

Whatcha' think happened next? :laughing7:... You guessed it! :hello2:

I hear "Oh shi$" ::)...then a big thud 8)...like someone just dropped a 200lb sack of taters on the concrete. :laughing7:

I turned around in time to see Darrell clutching his detector above his head...as he is sliding and bouncing off of concrete slabs...on his way into the water :laughing7:

He then started cussing about some metal rod sticking out of the concrete slab that had mysteriously "grabbed" his ankle....throwing him off balance. :laughing9:

Too bad I didn't have my camera...'cause there he sat...240lbs of mud and slop...moaning and groaning about how it wasn't his fault :laughing7:..but all the while still safely holding his Explorer out of harms way. :headbang:

After I was done laughing...I told him to get his big truck drivin' rear-end out of the water...and to stay off the concrete...so we could continue hunting. :D

Sometime this summer I need to get the Yeti on an expedition together with Darrel and I...or vice versa. I can't even imagine what could transpire with both the Yeti and Darrell hunting with me at the same time. ;D Heck I might just take my video camera and leave the detector in the car. :hello2: :laughing9:

Anyway after cleaning off mud bog boy...we continued hunting. :icon_sunny:

By about 3 hours into the hunt...I had picked up a second Barber dime and 2 more injuns...all in excess of 8" deep.

Another hour or so went by before I got anything else to investigate....but this one was a strange one. It sounded like an injun from 2 ways...but sounded like silver from the other 2 ways. The main thing though was that it repeated all the way around as I circled the target...and those repeatable hits are very scarce around here. :icon_thumleft:

I carefully dug down almost 9"...then located it with the probe..and it was off to the bottom side of the hole. I then knew it was tilted or on edge...so I picked out a nice little clod that stayed intact. When the chunk popped out...I saw the little silver rim peeking through...and instantly got that stupid "little kid" grin on my face. :wink:

I was pretty sure it would be my third barber dime of the day....so I decided to leave it intact in the clod until I got home to scan it.

After taking the pic of the rim peeking out...I ran some water over the clod so I could begin to remove the dime.

Well...as you can see from the pics...it turned out to be a Merc instead of a barber.
I'm not complaining though....as it was and is.. always a thrill for me when one comes out of the ground with the rim peeking through. :thumbsup: It doesn't happen often...and when it does...I like to go through the process I just described to see what surprise is inside. :D

As for the injuns'...I can't figure out how these 3 were found in the same general area...but 2 of them needed a peroxide bath...while the 1885 just needed a little "spit cleaning". :o

All in all a GREAT 5 hours at a beat up park...and as always here...signals were few and far between. What coins did pop out though..were all keepers. :thumbsup:

I used 3 different coils on the afternoon...the WOT...the 6 x 8 SEF...and the pro coil.

I ended up with NO wheaties... but got 2 Mercs...2 Barbers..3 injuns :thumbsup: ...and Darrell got to to go swimming. :blob1: ;D

Thanks for viewing and good luck on your next hunt

Attachments

• coins199.jpg
    coins199.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,127
  • coins200.jpg
    coins200.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,127
  • coins201.jpg
    coins201.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,161
  • coins202.jpg
    coins202.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,162
  • coins203.jpg
    coins203.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,154
  • coins204.jpg
    coins204.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,149
  • coins205.jpg
    coins205.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,136
  • coins206.jpg
    coins206.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,136
  • coins207.jpg
    coins207.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,123
Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great diggs bud!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem with no wheaties as long as finds like that are popping out. Congrats on those great finds. Keep that silver mine going. :thumbsup:

Swamp Thing

Jun 10, 2009
FALLING IN THE POND
Detector(s) used
Hunt with Bryce and end up in the water. Go figure!
Swamp Thing lives :laughing9:

I can't believe I did that..but more so...I can't believe you just stood there and laughed :laughing7:

You should've helped your fellow hunter out...but if you fell in I wouldn't have done anything except laugh either :help:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggerfororo said:
Is that all? WTG- Keep your head down and your ears tuned to "that" tone.

Les
;D Thanks Les

Swamp Thing said:
Swamp Thing lives :laughing9:

I can't believe I did that..but more so...I can't believe you just stood there and laughed :laughing7:

You should've helped your fellow hunter out...but if you fell in I wouldn't have done anything except laugh either :help:
Darrell...if you knew how freakin' goofy you looked sliding into the pond....... :laughing7: :laughing9:

John Deere Digger said:
Great hunt Bryce, congrats on the silver and the indians. Wish I had time to get out.
JDD
Thanks JDD. Make some time buddy.

Lookn4seated said:
No problem with no wheaties as long as finds like that are popping out. Congrats on those great finds. Keep that silver mine going. :thumbsup:
Thanks L4S. You've been nabbin' some nice goodies too :icon_thumleft:

scruggs said:
GOOD LOOKING COINS, ITS NICE FINDING SILVER!
Thanks scruggs

TreasureFiend said:
Great diggs bud!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks Fiend

tseekerMike said:
Great job on the hunt. Glad no one was seriously hurt.
Thanks Mike. Trust me...he would have taken a boulder off the side of his mug before letting anything happen to his machine

t-bucket said:
WOW Bryce That is awesome my friend !!!! :headbang: Glad you got out and had a good time :icon_thumleft:Have a good one and Good luck on your next hunt !!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks G-Money :hello:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Congrats on the silver and Indian Heads, Bryce! You and Captn_SE are the best there is when it comes to hunting the turf!

Kyle

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Congrats on the silver and Indian Heads, Bryce! You and Captn_SE are the best there is when it comes to hunting the turf!

Kyle
Thanks Kyle. I hope all is well with Dan. I haven't heard from or seen him on here in a while ???

Shawano~ said:
Sweet finds Bryce!!! Congrats!!!
Thanks Shawano

The Buzzard King said:
Hey Bryce, nice finds!
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was away last week.
Sweet digs! Congrats!
No need to apologize BK...but thanks. I just viewed your recent post buddy....WOW :icon_thumleft:

done dug it all up said:
Those are great finds. I bet the parks have lots of silver left where you live.
Thanks. If you can find 10" deep coins...or coins among iron and trash....there's still some to be had.

itbeepsidig said:
nice finds...FUNNY story
Thanks beep

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent day for you Bryce.
You sure know how to sniff out the silver. :thumbsup:

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Bryce,

I can't decide which is better: your story-telling or hunting skills! Thanks for a good story. :thumbsup: Jim

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those sweet finds Bryce :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread