2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bank gave this to us when we were getting cash out. I have searched eBay for $50 star notes, low serial #'s and such a variety of prices come up. I'm not a coin or paper money collector (unless I know it's silver etc). I know nothing about the collect ability if this. The condition is a little rough. Any input would be helpful...or tell me if I should just spend it because it's worth $50??!!

image-1816062626.jpg

image-2419330392.jpg

image-2982298673.jpg

image-753763869.jpg

image-1526506678.jpg

Spend it.. the star just designates that the original sheet of notes this came on was damaged and this came from a replacement sheet... I was in the coin business for 20 years and people talked about star notes but I never had anyone ever ask to buy one...

As far as star notes go, originally there were many produced for this date/series note. However, it is an older note so most of those have been destroyed and are no longer in circulation so it is worth more than face value. If I were you, i'd list it at face value plus shipping and see what happens. Maybe try ironing it out a little first, make it look a little better. I'd think maybe worth $70 or so. Make sure you mention San Francisco in the title.

Here is all the info you ever wanted to know about that particular date/series $50 note- USPaperMoney.Info: Series 1969C $50

Thank you!

Cool find. I'm trying to get a collection of them old bills..it's crazy how little you see them anymore

I believe your bill has a value greater than face. Only 256,000 were printed and if it were in UNC condition (granted, it isn't) it might be worth $300 (retail, per The Official Red Book, Second Edition (2008)."As is", I'd start at $75 and offer free S and H. (Be sure to talk up the relative rarity of the bill.)
Don......

Remember I had a coin store for 20 years and in all 20 years no one ever asked for a star note in any denomination...

You should buy it... :) :) Come on Don :) :)

If you can afford it just hang onto it. Regardless of the star or not it is a fairly nice condition $50. Furthermoreif you haven't noticed by now that note style "small head" is no longer printed.

I was thinking to list it at face value plus shipping to attract more attention/potential bidders. I believe it will sell for between $75 and $100 imho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back